[Linux] Remote Control learned by XBMC
Hi,

almost every we can read about remote control questions and problems with
XBMC. I myself have struggled also a lot with lirc and compiling new lirc with some not directly supported ir-receivers.

Also with my MCE compatible remote set, I can see IRW responding right
with all the remote presses. Despite of that only a very few buttons
work in XBMC. The "discussion" between Remote Controller and XBMC
is depending so many things and files that it is very confusing and hard to
get it work right and get the most out of the system.

Is there any plans to implement some kind of teaching feature to XBMC
to teach the commands sent by remote/ir-receiver?

It is guite frustrating, when You have a nice MCE Remote in Your hands and
even play button or FF is not recognized...

Br,

Zemy
That would be a nice feature. I can see it kinda like key mapping in videogames. Where it goes through a list and asked you to hit to corresponding key on the remote. eg. "Please press the key you would like to use for directional up."
I came in to request basically this. I had a very technical friend give up on XBMC because he didn't feel like investing the time into getting the remote that he had mapped.

Also, I'm working on a box which I'm going to call NESBMC which will be a mini-itx inside a NES case. I intend that the NES Joystick ports will work, but I dread the time it will take to get it configured with the keymap files.

I have some thoughts on what the interface would look like for adding a new keymap based on a template. It could be done in a rather user friendly manner. It would take some basic templates - D-pad + 4 as the minimum - D-pad + 8 for SNES or PSX joypads (full functionality) and then a host of other configurable buttons that could be used for configuring a remote. It would take you to an interface where you choose with a keyboard what buttons you want to configure past the basic set via checkboxes, and then it would run you through a script where it would ask you to press what button(s) you want assigned to the individual commands one at a time. Lets say let the user hit the primary button to use and then any additional buttons they want to use for that function for the next 5 seconds.

There are a host of other interesting things that could be set up as well. Another goal would be to have full functionality with D-pad + 4 using held buttons for some functions.

I really would like to see this working.
Subtitles - Serious Business

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Remote Control learned by XBMC0