• 8(current)
Shuttle XS35
redtail Wrote:froggit:
I've managed to get terminal access with dharma on the XS35GT by editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg. I changed the gfxmode parameter to:

set gfxmode=1920x1080

How did you edit the file if you had no terminal?
Maybe a silly question, but it just occurred to me.

Presumably you first edited the options line for 'XBMCLive Install' grub entry in the initial grub boot screen before installation?

No, just had a look there and it's not in the grub screen that I could see. So I assume that you edited the grub file within the burned iso directly?
froggit Wrote:I'd like to have that driver when you've compiled it if possible.

BTW, when I was on the jmicron ftp site, I saw a file one there that was labelled 1.0.6.1 -- slightly newer than the one I downloaded, I think. Will you use that version?

Yeah, I'm looking forward to using it too -- spent far too long cursing at the box so far! Rolleyes

I'll try the latest version. The last time I built anything from source in Linux was way back on Fedora Core 2, so it's been some time. No promises on how long it'll take me. =)
redtail Wrote:I'll try the latest version. The last time I built anything from source in Linux was way back on Fedora Core 2, so it's been some time. No promises on how long it'll take me. =)

Really, it was simple. Just follow the instructions in the readme when you unpack the driver file from the ftp site. About two things to type, that's all.
froggit Wrote:How did you edit the file if you had no terminal?
Maybe a silly question, but it just occurred to me.

Presumably you first edited the options line for 'XBMCLive Install' grub entry in the initial grub boot screen before installation?

I missed out that small detail, sorry. This'll be a problem for you as you're using an SSD. I'm running XBMC from a USB Flash drive, so I simply used another *nix computer to edit the file.
i had the black console problem as well... i then started from scratch, first installed windows 7 on half of my ssd, and then xbmc from the livecd on the other. now the grub menu is always shown, and one can edit the entries to fix the gfxmode
redtail Wrote:I missed out that small detail, sorry. This'll be a problem for you as you're using an SSD. I'm running XBMC from a USB Flash drive, so I simply used another *nix computer to edit the file.

As I was told in the other thread, you should be able to edit grub within any other Linux based live system (booted from usb/cd)
I'm waiting for next Dharma release with fixed terminal though, as I've got everything running perfectly with Camelot now =)
once you got a console, compiling the lme network driver is pretty easy, even for linux beginners like me:

1. copy the sources from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmc2xx/Linux/ to an usb key

2. plug the usb key into the shuttle

3. mount the drive
Code:
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

4. follow the instructions in ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/jmc2xx/Linux/Readme.txt:
Code:
cp /mnt/jme-1.0.5.tbz2 /usr/local/src/
cd /usr/local/src
tar xjvf jme-1.0.5.tbz2
cd jme-1.0.5.tbz2
sudo make install

5. test the driver:
Code:
sudo modprobe jme

6. edit your /etc/network/interfaces, add something like
Code:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

7. start the network
Code:
/etc/init.d/networking restart
redtail Wrote:I missed out that small detail, sorry. This'll be a problem for you as you're using an SSD. I'm running XBMC from a USB Flash drive, so I simply used another *nix computer to edit the file.

Aha! One possibility for me could be to use 1st memory stick as live install device and the target could be to a second memory stick, then edit grub file on target usb stick, when running ok then clone data from target memory stick to ssd, but this seems nightmarish a bit.

I might go back to camelot for now, as we now have a fix for HDMI audio...
froggit Wrote:Aha! One possibility for me could be to use 1st memory stick as live install device and the target could be to a second memory stick, then edit grub file on target usb stick, when running ok then clone data from target memory stick to ssd, but this seems nightmarish a bit.

I might go back to camelot for now, as we now have a fix for HDMI audio...

Forget the second memory stick. Once your live system is running, you can mount the / partition of your SSD and edit whatever you like.

I've built version 1.0.6.1 of the jme NIC driver for the XS35GT against kernel 2.6.32-24-generic. I was able to load this driver successfully and now have ethernet connectivity.

If it's useful for anyone, they can pick it up from here. The password is "xbmc10".
Thanks to you all for the help on this.
if anyone plans to use the integrated wifi: install bios 1.0.9 first which comes with a new wlan power option: "always on" - the card is powered off as default!
hmm... while in beta2 the nvidia hdmi is already present, it doesn't seem work properly either.

ezechiel1917 Wrote:based those # test your speakers with following command:
speaker-test -D plughw:1,7 -c6
that works for me (i'm hearing the test noise), but...

ezechiel1917 Wrote:Audio Output: HDMI
Audio Output Device: Custom
Custom Audio Device: plughw:1,7
Passthrough Audio Device: Custom
Custom Passthrough Device: plughw:1,7
.. this doesn't. i have to use Audio Output: Analog to hear any sound through the hdmi cable.
heldchen: does passthrough work with analog?

Do you guys have working wakeup from suspend? Dharma/Camelot? which nvidia drivers?
I'm getting blinking _ character on black background instead of XBMC home screen after MCE remote wakeup from previously suspended session. Gonna try update to latest bios first, I guess.
no, no passthrough with analog.

and when i use suspend, it seems to do a shutdown instead.
I've tried camelot live and dharma live too, and I just can't seem to get HDMI audio working.

I followed the instructions here for camelot:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=607...stcount=98

... but I got an error on apt-get for xmlto, and some filenames seem to have changed when attempting it for dharma, so... Sad

After trying above guide, I tried all audio settings in xbmc but always silent audio (I unmuted the channels as per the guide).
froggit Wrote:I've tried camelot live and dharma live too, and I just can't seem to get HDMI audio working.

I followed the instructions here for camelot:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=607...stcount=98

... but I got an error on apt-get for xmlto, and some filenames seem to have changed when attempting it for dharma, so... Sad

After trying above guide, I tried all audio settings in xbmc but always silent audio (I unmuted the channels as per the guide).

did you get any sound with speaker-test?

Anyway after few hours of hassle with no working terminal I got dharma beta2 running now, audio works fine, suspend from standby finally working.
Had to manually mount ssd, edit grub, reboot, blind type login + sudo update-grub then reboot, compile network drivers ...

I'm running xbmcfreak beta2 live http://xbmcfreak.binkey.nl/xbmcfreak-Dha...0.19.1.zip
otherwise dharma can't wake up from suspend with mce remote (kernel issue)

I really wish network driver or at least terminal fix could be included in next live iso, it's friggin ridiculous blind type things with no video Confused
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Shuttle XS354