Some MKV soft subtitles rendered as unreadable blocks in full screen mode
I am seeing a strange problem with how soft subtitles in MKVs are rendered. About 1/4 or 1/3 of the subtitles get rendered screwed up, as blocks instead of the font. The rest look fine.

Conditions:
  • Seems to affect all MKVs with soft subtitles that I tried
  • Not all subtitles in an affected file are bad. The same individual lines seem to render bad every time I check.
  • This only occurs in full screen mode. Windowed mode is ok (at least the small size that I tried).
  • This happens on my laptop (32-bit XP MCE) and not on my desktop (Win7 x64) using the same video files.

This is an example showing two screenshots of the same subtitle line. The top was taken in windowed mode (720x480) and shows what the text should look like. The bottom was captured in full screen mode (1920x1080) and scaled down for this comparison.

Full size screenshots:
Image Image

Some other thoughts:
  • Originally I had a problem where MKV files would cause XBMC to crash. I found the solution in the form here (clear the path environment variable before running XBMC).
  • The computer is a Dell e1505, 2G RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1300
  • Full screen mode does not work in "full screen window" mode. It only shows a blank screen when activated.
  • I am using XBMC 9.11
  • I tried a nightly build (r30898-trunk) and XBMC crashes shortly after starting to play this file. It gets a few subtitles in and then renders some giant red polygons on the screen and freezes the system.
  • I have read about some wi-fi cards causing problems, so I turned off the radio and connected to the wired network without any difference.

System info and XBMC debug Log.
Media Info

Is there any solution for this? Searching the forums and google for the issue has turned up nothing even vaguely related. I had figured it could be related to a coded or directshow filter, however, I read in another post that XBMC doesn't use system codecs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Some MKV soft subtitles rendered as unreadable blocks in full screen mode0