Req Video playback in Pictures slideshow
Hi. I would love to be able to use this great feature but haven't been able to figure out how to patch and compile (the current version) of XBMC.

Can you (or anyone else) help?

Gwan Wrote:I'm surprised that this feature wasn't there already. Anyway, did it. I'm not a regular XBMC developer, so here's the patch for the current SVN version (33640):

http://pastebin.com/aQ9TEyei

Save to a file named anyname.patch
Go to the XBMC source root
Apply the patch with:
# patch -p0 < /path/to/anyname.patch
Then compile and install XBMC as usual

I don't know if I did it the right way (not enough knowledge with the code), but fill free to report any bugs.
Hi all

I know this thread is kind of old by now, but in case anyone still needs it, I thought I would do a writeup of how I made an image/video slideshow.

This does not require you to compile XBMC yourself. It does, however, require you to run a Pre-11.0 build.

Basically, what my slideshow does, is this:

Starts a slideshow of images AND videos at the press of a button, from XBMC home screen.

Pretty simple, huh!? It took me a long time to figure everything out, so hope someone else can use the info. I can confirm that it works on both Mac and PC. I am running it on a 2009 MacBook Pro 13" and an Asrock ION330 PC - It runs best on the Mac.

I am using the following XBMC versions:

PC: XBMC PRE-11.0 Git:20110719-1c250ec (compiled : Jul 20 2011)

Mac: XBMC PRE-11.0 Git:20110527-a48dbf2 (compiled : May 28 2011)

You need to edit the following two files, to be able to get the slideshow to work:

advancedsettings.xml
keyboard.xml

It is important that you use the files in your UserData folder, and not the XBMC core folder. Find the UserData folder here:

Mac: /Users/yourusername/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata

PC: C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata (this will be a hidden folder by default on your PC-system)

To make it work, you need to do a couple of things: make videofiles appear in your picture directory, add videofiles to the list of picture extensions and make a key on your computer start the slideshow from the home screen.

1. Make videofiles appear in your picture directory (Confluence skin): Go to System - Settings - Pictures and enable "show video files in lists" (it might be called something slightly different).

2. Now to add video files to the list of picture extensions, open your advancedsettings.xml and add the following entry:

<pictureextensions>
<add>.mov|.mpg</add>
</pictureextensions>

You can keep adding file formats to this list. If you do not have an advancedsettings.xml in your userdata folder, you need to create a text file and add the following, then save as an xml file:

<advancedsettings>
<pictureextensions>
<add>.mpg|.mov</add>
</pictureextensions>
</advancedsettings>

3. Start the slideshow at the click of a button: open keyboard.xml (find it inside the folder named keymaps folder located in the userdata folder) and add the following entry:

<Home>
<keyboard>
<i>info</i>
<end>XBMC.ShutDown()</end>
<k>XBMC.SlideShow(C:\Users\yourusername\Desktop\slideshow)</k>
</keyboard>
</Home>

This will launch a slideshow in the chosen directory at the press of the button 'k'.

I hope this will help some of you out there until XBMC 11.0 comes out.
Thanks for the info hadimp! Smile I had a nightly build installed for my blu-ray ISO files but didn't know this functionality had been implemented also.

However, I didn't need to use your advanced settings. I just activated the System-Settings-Pictures-"show video files in lists" setting and it worked from there for my *.mpg and *.mts files. Smile

The only thing that didn't work as "supposed to" is if having a photo slideshow and entering a movie I had to manually press "p" to start it (the screen was black) and when the movie was played I couldn't jump to the next movie by pressing next button instead I had to stop the current movie. Then the next one in the list was started.

But its a nightly from 25:th of july. Hopefully it will work smoother in the final version. Smile
For the Apple TV2 has the capability to show pictures and play videos in slideshow been fixed in the nightly build or do you need to patch the advancedsettings.xml file as mentioned previously. Or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance.
@JosephAE As far as I know, you will have to patch the ATV2 version to make it show videos as well, but I could be wrong. If you find out either way, please let us know - curious about this :-)
Please excuse me if this isn’t the proper way to ask this question as I’m a newbie XBMC.

I am also trying to show pictures and videos from the same folder.
Will your patch you posted work on the Apple TV 2? If so are all the files and folder locations the same. And finally do I need to convert my videos to a particular format to view? (.mov or .mpg)

Thanks in advance for all you help.
how about you guys read some dates? ;P

this was added to git back in january 2011. there isn't a single build for atv2 without the functionality.
@spiff Thats hot! I bet you, that I can break it, though ;-)
have at it ;P

ps; remember, you have to flip the nob in picture settings.
But what about playing videos in slideshows? This still isn't implemented... Sad
OlliLaukkanen Wrote:But what about playing videos in slideshows? This still isn't implemented... Sad

works here ... i've a image folder with 3 videos in it ... and start a slideshow ... when it comes to a movie its playing it... which plattform are you using? (i tested on osx and io)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Oh, ok.
I use OpenELEC on a Shuttle XS35GTV2. The video files (format: *.avi) are from my Casio Exilim FS 10.

Background info:
In the list view the videos are listed and I can play them. But sound and video are not synchonized (one is slower) and 720p videos are totally played like a mess (video stutteres).
OlliLaukkanen Wrote:In the list view the videos are listed and I can play them. But sound and video are not synchonized (one is slower) and 720p videos are totally played like a mess (video stutteres).

I am in PAL 25Hz land, and usually run XBMC over 50Hz HDMI. If I play videos from my camera I have the same issues as you describe. If I set the display to 60Hz HDMI first before I start XBMC then everything plays fine. Might be this is your issue as well?

(I know XBMC can modify the display rate itself for a video but that is no solution, as it switches back right after the video. Which is no problem for a 90 minute movie, but for short videos in between your holiday shots this is unwatchable as a TV takes several seconds to sync).
to me it sounds like a combination of

1) running dharma (no vids in slideshow support)
2) too slow hw combined with a non-hw acceled codec.
spiff, you got something there. I just read in the Roadmap, that "Added option setting to play videos within picture slideshows" is only running in Eden. Sorry for not mentioning I'm using Dharma.

2) Do you think the Shuttle XS35GTV is too slow? I moreover run OpenELEC.

I will check on Aardvark's hint to set display to 60Hz. Also, I will check what codecs XBMC tells me the Camera produces via debug info.

Thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated! Big Grin
I will keep you informed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback in Pictures slideshow2