• 58(current)
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC
Please bear with me a newbie here, this is the set up I have

Case: Silverstone GD08
IR reciever: Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB
Remote: Harmony Touch
XBMC Version: XBMC 12.2 "Frodo"

Here's my question at myharmony.com do I set this up as a Microsoft Media Player (Microsoft MCE Keyboard) or as a Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB.. Also by default should all the buttons on the Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB remote work in XBMC?

Thanks for help
Sorry if my earlier post didn't explain the issue will try again, but different because I have achieved some things

1) Windows 7 .... XBMC 12.2 ..... Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB.....Harmony Touch

2) I have successfully added Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB as a device at myharmony.com and Watch XBMC as a activity

3) The problem is how do I add more buttons that don't come with Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB ie the C(Context) and Power Toggle

Hope this help explains what I am asking more so I can get help
(2013-09-03, 15:20)TheRavenR Wrote: Sorry if my earlier post didn't explain the issue will try again, but different because I have achieved some things

1) Windows 7 .... XBMC 12.2 ..... Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB.....Harmony Touch

2) I have successfully added Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB as a device at myharmony.com and Watch XBMC as a activity

3) The problem is how do I add more buttons that don't come with Hauppauge MCE Remote Control Kit USB ie the C(Context) and Power Toggle

Hope this help explains what I am asking more so I can get help

I'm not familiar with this Hauppauge, but you can look under the receiver, to see if it is RC6 type of receiver?

Even if it is not RC6, the Power Toggle should be available in Custommize Buttons menu . You meant it does not show up at all?

Also, if you are still setting up your activities, why not experimenting with the MCE Keyboard device?
The images don't work on the first page can you please reupload them?
(2013-09-09, 23:44)ajonline Wrote: The images don't work on the first page can you please reupload them?

See the link at the very last sentence in the 1st post.
I'm a little late to the party, but it appears the logitech software is changed from the screenshots listed here and it doesn't seem to be as intuitive to add a decive manually. I'm having a difficult time with a Harmony Touch and preventing it from turning on/off my HTPC and adjusting each remote command.
Under devices for XBMC, change device settings, power settings, there is an option for "I want to leave this device powered on all the time.", but walking through the next options, it brings up a Power Settings window with no settings and no ability to select Finish.
I'm hoping someone can help me here also. I'm embarrased to say that I cannot get my Harmony 900 to work while following these instructions.

My setup is a Zotac Zbox running windows 7, Harmony 900.

First issue I run into when setting up as per the first post in this thread is that when I go to add a Computer>media center PC>Microsoft>MCE Keyboard, I get a message immediately following that says something like "you will not be able to control the MCE Keyboard with your remote." I press on anyway, and I add the the xbmc as well and create the activity. When I go to use the remote, absolutely nothing works.... not the MCE buttons, and not the xbmc buttons. As a matter of fact, the only way I can gain ANY control with the Harmony is to actually add the Zbox via Computer>Media Center PC>Zotac>Zbox xxxx. Then and only then do i get any funcionality and even that is very limited. I bought the IR dongle a year ago and I forget what brand it is, but is my issue a symptom of not having an RC6 compatible IR dongle? Any input would be really appreciated
To all the guys having MCE Keyboard/Logitech Harmony problems, I figured mine out using this thread. https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv/issues/356

For reference, my setup is a Logitech Harmony 900, an HP IR receiver plugged into a USB hub, connected to a Raspberry Pi, running OpenElec.

The gist is, ssh into your XBMC/OpenElec/etc.

cat /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

check to see if there are brackets around mce_kbd. (i.e. [mce_kbd]).

If there are not, do a:

echo +mce_kbd > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols

Now check it again. If the brackets are now there, try your windows mce keyboard/Logitech harmony remote. It should work. Mine was then registering all keypress three times. To fix that go to your Logitech harmony setup software, find your activity for your XBMC, and click troubleshoot -> Yes these settings are correct -> MCE Keyboard -> MCE Keyboard responds to some commands either too many times or only occasionally...

Change the number from 3 to 1, and that should fix the problem. Update your remote and try it out.

Thanks,
Josh
The control did not survive a reboot. To make it survive the reboot I changed directory to /storage/.config.

cd /storage/.config

Then I edited autostart.sh.

vi autostart.sh

My autostart.sh already had a line that read "modprobe lirc_rpi"
I hit o to append a line, and added the "echo +mce_kbd > /sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols" then hit esc to stop editing. Then I pressed :wq! and hit enter. This wrote the file, and then quit vi. I rebooted my Raspberry Pi, and tried the remote and it worked again. Sorry if this was over simplified for people who know Linux commands and vi editor.

Thanks,
Josh
(2013-09-22, 03:20)Monkeypox Wrote: I'm a little late to the party, but it appears the logitech software is changed from the screenshots listed here and it doesn't seem to be as intuitive to add a decive manually. I'm having a difficult time with a Harmony Touch and preventing it from turning on/off my HTPC and adjusting each remote command.
Under devices for XBMC, change device settings, power settings, there is an option for "I want to leave this device powered on all the time.", but walking through the next options, it brings up a Power Settings window with no settings and no ability to select Finish.

The page asks you what settings to use to turn the device on/off. Why they need that, I don't know, since you want to leave it on all the time. Nevertheless, chose power toggle, or Power off, turn it to 0.5 seconds and then click finish.
Hi guys,
I have the same HP IR receiver that is plugged in an external USB port on my PC.
Can I setup the harmony to sleep/resume the PC?

I would suspect that this is probably a setting I have to do in the BIOS, but I'm not sure.

thanks for some guidance/hints
@hatbrox

Generally yes. If you can set the power management on your HTPC (Windows7 ?) to sleep/wake when you press the power button (it's called S3), then it will work. No need to mess with BIOS.

Set the Harmony power command to a Power toggle (one button to turn on/off device). The MCE SE keyboard device is great for this (never fail for me).

-bodhi
Hello,

Thinking about buying my first universal remote.
I'm looking at:

Logitech Harmony 650
Philips Prestigo SRT8215/10

I like the design way better, Logitech looks outdated.

I would like to control the following devices:

UPC Horizon Box
Intel NUC HTPC
Rapsberry Pi HTPC
Samsung TV
Playstation 3

What device do you guys recommend, and why?
Is this 650 the way to go, or better go for a newer/more expensive device?
I just bought a Harmony 650 and wish to use it both inside XBMC and to do basic control and shutdown of outside programs like Chrome. I have the IR receiver pictured here.

1. Which tutorial should I use? The one from this thread has broken images. Another thread here refers to this thread as the older thread, but it's been shut down and the Harmony setup software appears to have changed since then. Is there one I should follow or is more up-to-date?

2. How do I use the remote with the IR receiver? I can add the VRC-1100 as a device, but won't that simply emulate the device and not the WMC-SE device?

Thanks.
Hey everyone, having some issues setting up this system. I've added MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard to my logitech remote (Harmony Smart control using ultimate hub). Also, my receiver is correctly listed with the eHome driver. However, buttons don't seem to be working correctly. Directional buttons work, both as MCE Remote and MCE Keyboard, and other Media Center buttons work, but I can't get standard keyboard buttons to work, like letters and the Enter key. I thought the IR receiver I got might be the case (I bought the Dell one off Amazon), but the HP one I got off eBay does the exact same thing. Additionally, when I turn off my system and turn it back on, the buttons stop working complete, including the directional ones that worked before.

What's weird though, is that everything works correctly from the MyHarmony app, including keyboard buttons, so I know that the receiver can work correctly. It seems that the remote that comes with the Logitech Harmony Smart Control just can't send those commands for some reason.

I've read this entire thread and others and still can't figure it out. Has anyone experienced this or have an idea what might be wrong?
  • 58(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] HOW-TO use a Logitech Harmony Remote with XBMC13