Smallest PC that can run XBMC?
This turned up yesterday. Not what I'm going for but still a great use of PVC pipe:
http://gizmodo.com/5604252/pipe-some-tun...c-speakers
tedbone Wrote:Hey simmb,
A light just came on in my head.
i just read another review about the Foxconn NT - it was similar to what you said about the hard drive/cpu area getting really hot, however; running XBMC Live makes it run much cooler. I was considering getting an 32 gig SSD, but I thinkn XBMC Live on a USB, CF or SDHC might be the ticket. I can save that ~$100 from the SSD.

Funny thing - I've only been using XBMC for Windows and never bothered to see what XBMC Live was. LOL.

You are running Linux, right? I suppose you have an HDD/SSD in your Foxconn NT?

No HDD installed anymore I started out with a HDD but moved to an SD card with live installed on it. I wanted to keep it as quiet as possible and having no HDD helps with cooling a lot. As is to be expected boot times from SD card is slower than HDD so get the fastest card you can, its not bad by any means 30-40 seconds for a cold boot (I miss my xbox) resume/suspend is a few seconds but I guess it's not practical for you to suspend if running on battery. I could probably tweak it to make it boot quicker but the foxconn is not my main xbmc machine so it has quite a lazy life.
simmb Wrote:No HDD installed anymore I started out with a HDD but moved to an SD card with live installed on it. I wanted to keep it as quiet as possible and having no HDD helps with cooling a lot. As is to be expected boot times from SD card is slower than HDD so get the fastest card you can, its not bad by any means 30-40 seconds for a cold boot (I miss my xbox) resume/suspend is a few seconds but I guess it's not practical for you to suspend if running on battery. I could probably tweak it to make it boot quicker but the foxconn is not my main xbmc machine so it has quite a lazy life.

Good to know. I'm definitely going with an XBMC Live install. I won't be too concerned with boot times, since the method for me will be - turn it on, place it in the tube/pipe securely and seal it the pipe tight. By then I'd hope it would be booted up and ready to rock.
I'll also add 2 gigs of RAM.

About the heat issues - If I do end up frying it, I know what I'm getting into, so I cant get too mad at my self if it happens. Plus it's not cheap, but it's not expensive like the waterproof PCs are going for. But your heat analysis will help me figure out if I'll need to consider a Passive Cooling mod or not.
ok, if the Bluetooth adapter is no option due to bad experiences with it, I'd also suggest to try out a Beagleboard like Topfs2 suggested. XBMC is currently beeing ported to Beagleboard, which has AFAIK the smallest form factor and best power efficiency so far (as much as I know). But it might take some more time for XBMC to run stable on this. If you can't wait for that, the only really small thing capable of running someting like XBMC would be the BOXEE box - but I'm not sure if you can install XBMC on it so you might have to live with BOXEE then. Or of course some other ION driven NetTop, like suggested by others.

Interessting project though.
da-anda Wrote:ok, if the Bluetooth adapter is no option due to bad experiences with it, I'd also suggest to try out a Beagleboard like Topfs2 suggested. XBMC is currently beeing ported to Beagleboard, which has AFAIK the smallest form factor and best power efficiency so far (as much as I know). But it might take some more time for XBMC to run stable on this. If you can't wait for that, the only really small thing capable of running someting like XBMC would be the BOXEE box - but I'm not sure if you can install XBMC on it so you might have to live with BOXEE then. Or of course some other ION driven NetTop, like suggested by others.

Interessting project though.

Wow! I don't know much about how to "use" a Beableboard, but I know that they are so small and that XBMC on it would be sweet. And if I am only needing the audio use from it, I may be able to get something to work.

I ordered a Foxconn NT from Newegg with 2gigs of ram. Hopefully I won't blow it up in an enclosed environment. But if I do, and I stil survive, I will go with Beagleboard next. Smile

This tube will have to have a battery (any experts out there on battery power to a 150W amp?), inverter for the PC and 150 watt amp. The amp is cool - it has a SDHC and USB slots. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CN5...ss_product

I'll definitely put my backup music on this if the PC fails, so I won't embarras myself on the river. :o
iscraigh Wrote:aspire revo 1600 cheap and small

Craig

I bought one thinking it wouldn't be powerful enough but with a few upgrades it works fine. It plays 720p perfectly over WiFi. The only problem I have with the r1600 is that fanart files load slowly.
Just want to make this clear before you go out and buy a BeagleBoard. Its a great piece of hardware and tbh it fits your project rather perfectly, however XBMC on it is still very very very early and its running at very slow speeds still. CPU wise its no problem but the biggest issue is the GPU which just isn't capable of driving todays skins.

So while I would suggest the BeagleBoard thats more on a "if your a developer" bases were you might want to develop your own server application that would work better, or help out getting XBMC running on it better.

If your looking for something thats just on an install basis and it works I would recommend looking into the netbook options, just an atom no need for ION IMO. My netbook with old 945 graphics still can render xbmc GUI very good for that screen and is definatly enough for any audio playback in XBMC.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Just want to make this clear before you go out and buy a BeagleBoard. Its a great piece of hardware and tbh it fits your project rather perfectly, however XBMC on it is still very very very early and its running at very slow speeds still. CPU wise its no problem but the biggest issue is the GPU which just isn't capable of driving todays skins.

So while I would suggest the BeagleBoard thats more on a "if your a developer" bases were you might want to develop your own server application that would work better, or help out getting XBMC running on it better.

If your looking for something thats just on an install basis and it works I would recommend looking into the netbook options, just an atom no need for ION IMO. My netbook with old 945 graphics still can render xbmc GUI very good for that screen and is definatly enough for any audio playback in XBMC.

Cheers,
Tobias

Tobias,
Thanks for clearing that up, although I'm not ready to finagle with a Beagleboard right now. I'm going with an Intel Atom Dual Core NetTop. Man, I wish I had an older Netbook laying around, because I would've hacked it up to fit inside a 6" diameter pipe.

In the next 2 hours I'll post up some photos of the parts, and a schematic design.

Hey simmb,
I just realized that if I go with the XBMC Live install (No SSD and no Windows 7), will I be able to get my pc's IP address even if its not on a network (like out in the wild - no internet on the open water, no router), and will I be able to access the Nettop like it was a hotspot/ access point? That was the beauty of Win7 and Connectify - XBMC remote could connect to my laptop this way when I tested it out last week. I'm guessing that there might be some settings in the default (Linux) OS running on the Foxconn?
tedbone Wrote:Tobias,
Thanks for clearing that up, although I'm not ready to finagle with a Beagleboard right now. I'm going with an Intel Atom Dual Core NetTop. Man, I wish I had an older Netbook laying around, because I would've hacked it up to fit inside a 6" diameter pipe.

In the next 2 hours I'll post up some photos of the parts, and a schematic design.

Hey simmb,
I just realized that if I go with the XBMC Live install (No SSD and no Windows 7), will I be able to get my pc's IP address even if its not on a network (like out in the wild - no internet on the open water, no router), and will I be able to access the Nettop like it was a hotspot/ access point? That was the beauty of Win7 and Connectify - XBMC remote could connect to my laptop this way when I tested it out last week. I'm guessing that there might be some settings in the default (Linux) OS running on the Foxconn?

You will need to create an adhoc network in ubuntu, it's just a case of switching the wi-fi card to adhoc mode and giving it a static ip address, hopefully the wifi card supports adhoc mode. I will put together some instructions for you when I get the temp stats for you, not been able to do that yet due to work commitments. I will try and get something done today if possible. Have you used linux before?
Got some temp readings for you. First set of stats are album playing with HTPC sat on a shelf. Second stats are for same album playing in an enclosed pipe. Nothing in those stats would worry me I think the enclosed figures are fine. You could run it with the top lid completely off if you think that's too high.

Not Enclosed

Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +32.0°C (crit = +95.0°C)
Core 1: +34.0°C (crit = +95.0°C)
Core 2: +32.0°C (crit = +95.0°C)
Core 3: +34.0°C (crit = +95.0°C)

Enclosed

Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +47.0°C (crit = +95.0°C)
Core 1: +50.0°C (crit = +95.0°C)
Core 2: +47.0°C (crit = +95.0°C)
Core 3: +50.0°C (crit = +95.0°C)
simmb Wrote:You will need to create an adhoc network in ubuntu, it's just a case of switching the wi-fi card to adhoc mode and giving it a static ip address, hopefully the wifi card supports adhoc mode. I will put together some instructions for you when I get the temp stats for you, not been able to do that yet due to work commitments. I will try and get something done today if possible. Have you used linux before?

I am a Linux noob (tried Fedora 6 back in the day)! I understand some of the principles, but not enough to do too much. So, you installed Ubuntu? I thought the Foxconn had some sort of simple Linux running on it already (foxmc linux)?

I'm not sure if adhoc will work with XBMC remote. I'll need an access point, but I just read this comment on Newegg:

Cons: The built-in wireless is Realtek-based, not Atheros as one might believe from a glance at the Newegg specs (they're not wrong -- atheros makes the LAN chip, not the wifi chip), so no access point mode running in Linux.

THANKS for the temp readings! If I can't get an access point with Linux I might run a 32GB SSD and Win7 with Connectify. Judging by the temp readings I;m guessing that an SSD running might not get too hot.

-OR-

I'm guessing that there could be some sort of simple USB dongle out there that acts as an access point. I just cant get carried away with peripherals. This system will be running on batteries, so it'll need to be conservative on energy.

I should get the Foxconn in the next 5 days, hopefully I can reach a Linux-XBMC Live-low power solution that works with XBMC remote.

Meanwhile here are some photos of some of my materials I have acquired ths far (sort of boring):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21285271@N04/4869920609/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21285271@N04/4869918691/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21285271@N04/4870531430/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21285271@N04/4870531706/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21285271@N04/4869920129/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21285271@N04/4870531050
tedbone Wrote:I am a Linux noob (tried Fedora 6 back in the day)! I understand some of the principles, but not enough to do too much. So, you installed Ubuntu? I thought the Foxconn had some sort of simple Linux running on it already (foxmc linux)?

I'm not sure if adhoc will work with XBMC remote. I'll need an access point, but I just read this comment on Newegg:

Cons: The built-in wireless is Realtek-based, not Atheros as one might believe from a glance at the Newegg specs (they're not wrong -- atheros makes the LAN chip, not the wifi chip), so no access point mode running in Linux.

THANKS for the temp readings! If I can't get an access point with Linux I might run a 32GB SSD and Win7 with Connectify. Judging by the temp readings I;m guessing that an SSD running might not get too hot.

-OR-

I'm guessing that there could be some sort of simple USB dongle out there that acts as an access point. I just cant get carried away with peripherals. This system will be running on batteries, so it'll need to be conservative on energy.

This must be a different model to the one I have then as mine does contain an atheros wireless module. A realtek wifi module is going to cause problems if you need to run it as an AP. Might be worth checking that this model does have the realtek and not an atheros.
simmb Wrote:This must be a different model to the one I have then as mine does contain an atheros wireless module. A realtek wifi module is going to cause problems if you need to run it as an AP. Might be worth checking that this model does have the realtek and not an atheros.

Is this wireless card integrated with the MoBo? I wouldn't mind swapping out the WiFi cards if they're not soldered in.

EDIT: Ahhh...I did read that someone threw in an intel wireless card in there for linux.
tedbone Wrote:Is this wireless card integrated with the MoBo? I wouldn't mind swapping out the WiFi cards if they're not soldered in.

EDIT: Ahhh...I did read that someone threw in an intel wireless card in there for linux.

Just double checked for you and it's just a mini wireless pci card so you can easily swap it out. It's very easy to get to and just has a single screw securing it in place.

And also finally found my antenna and it's sticks out 1inch from the back that's a lot more than I was expecting. You may get away with running it without an antenna or try using a modified one that stick out a bit less.
simmb Wrote:Just double checked for you and it's just a mini wireless pci card so you can easily swap it out. It's very easy to get to and just has a single screw securing it in place.

And also finally found my antenna and it's sticks out 1inch from the back that's a lot more than I was expecting. You may get away with running it without an antenna or try using a modified one that stick out a bit less.

Just got the Foxconn in the mail today. I'll tinker with it when I get home tonight.
After a quick look - I might have to do some antenna mod, but nothing too difficult I assume. Maybe some sort of "moldable"-loose wire-like antenna that I can screw in? Something like a coax TV cable?

Thanks for the tip on the WiFi card!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smallest PC that can run XBMC?0