New HTPC with XBMC - Which OS?
Hello,

i want to setup a new HTPC and i am still asking me which os i should use

I think Linux is hard to install and as far as i know i will have problems with my ATI Graphic Card (Radeon HD 4250).I already tried the XBMC Live CD but it didnt work for me. Also Linux does not support blu-ray movies because of the copy protection? So i can not watch original blu-ray with linux? I also have a Soundgraph iMON iMEDIAN LCD Display with a iMON PAD as remote. Will this work under Linux with XBMC?

Fir windows i can not use XBMC to watch Live-TV? I found a lot of tutorials for Linux with VDR but for XBMC + Windows i did not found a tutorial or How-TO for Live TV. Currently i am watching with my Cablestar HD2 and DVBViewer TE2 but i definetly want a "all in one" solution so i do not have to switch between different programs

I want to use my HTPC for Live-TV, Music, Videos, Films etc. I think watching pictures is not so important for me then the other functions

As you see i am really asking me which would be the best solution in order to setup my HTPC.
If it will help, here is my current Hardware configuration

Quote:Tower: Inter-Tech HTPC 2008-V black (http://www.inter-tech.de/Englisch/Gehaeu...warz-e.htm)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 (2*3 GHz)
MB: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H 880G AM3 ATX (ATI Radeon HD4250 Onboard)
RAM: 2x2048MB G.Skill DDR3-1333 CL9 Kit
Device: LG CH08NS10.AUAR10B Blu-ray SOF / SATA
TV: TechniSat CableStar HD2

I hope you guys can help me to find a solution
Windows is your only solution at this point for bluray playback off the disk. Given your familiarity with the operating system, this seems like an obvious way to go - use Windows 7 so you get DXVA2 support.

I believe there's a PVR addon on the way for using mediaportal's back-end, so that will be an option in the future. Note the use of the word future - it's not going to happen for at least a few months, quite possibly longer.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I use windows 7 and it works really good (stable and fast). So try Windows 7.
yes i know the pvr addon
i tried this morning already a pre built xbmc version with this pvr addon for mediaportal but it seems its not working really goods with my imon Pad remote
maybe its just some config issued i just tried it this morning and didnt had much time for configure settings

also the pre build version has much less addons like skins etc

i tried the last stable build of xbmc yesterday and there were a lot of more skins addons scripts included which the prebuilt version didnt had
which XBMC version should i use? The last stable version 9.11 Camelot or should i use one the latest nightly builds Dharma?
I use the Dharma betas (currently I'm on build 32840) and I find them excellent. I recommend using Dharma.

JR
ok but one additional question
windows XP SP3 or Windows 7?

is there a better performance on one of both because i have both at home to use
Windows 7. Faster ,stable,and it has DXVA2 just like said jmarshall.All new features of xbmc will perform better on Windows 7 than Windows xp
hi guys

some time ago i already asked for software regarding my htpc
since i stopped the project in the past due to some business stuff i now want to finish my HTPC project

so my configuration is still the same as posted in my first post

what i want to have now is a full "out of the box" solution for live TV, Videos, Music etc
"One for all"

so ist it possible for xbmc to do all this stuff? in the meanwhile is it also possible with linux (due to my ati onboard graphic card)?

thx for your support
You ask a lot Laugh

Windows 7 + the experimental PVR build of XBMC works for me.

http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg...build.html

I use 4therecord as TV server - then you can schedule recordings, see EPG, LIVE TV and watch recorded TV through XBMC. http://www.4therecord.eu

I just installed it at my test PC, it works out of the box, but it is not 100% stable yet.
did you also tested it with linux or can you say something about ati and linux?
Windows media center in conjunction with XBMC?
when i remember it correct i had no tv with WMC
furthermore i want a "one for all" software as i do not want to swithcb etween the programs
Windows media center (windows 7) does have really nice live TV, recording etc.

I'm using an atom/ion system which is not really powerful enough for WMC, but xbmc runs smoothly (and I like XBMC better).

WMC has a better WAF in my opinion, because of the remote control - my wife still has a problem with the harmony one and xbmc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC with XBMC - Which OS?0