Question regarding zeroconf
In an effort to bring some sanity to my home network I've been looking into configuring avahi on my computers including my media server.

My question is whether or not XBMC can handle NFS connections via zeroconf. What I would like to be able to do is map an NFS share via zeroconf from the browse button in the add media source dialog. Then I wouldn't need to worry about changing fstab on multiple clients whenever I add a new media drive. Is this functionality supported? If not is it planned to be implemented by anybody? (My C++ is very rusty, but If nobody is planning anything related to this, I'm going to see how much trouble I can get into.)

I realize that the SMB:\\ protocol is implemented, but my home network is pure *nix so I have no real need for SMB and would rather stick with NFS.

The prompting that has me started on this is that I'm about to add a 3rd xbmc client to my setup, and will be consolidating to a central MySQL database for the media databases, and need to ensure consistent path mappings. (I think) While consistent mappings aren't too difficult to ensure, it will become more tedious as I add more drives to the server or nodes to the network, and zeroconf would handle that for me.
HTPC Rig:
Acer Revo 1600 /Tira2 IR rcvr
NAS: UNRAID
Well we don't support NFS filesystem at all internally. You'd need to mount it on the underlying filesystem. So it could get abit tricky.

Unlikely anybody else would look at adding.. But NFS support on linux systems would make sense i suppose.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks, Now I get to see exactly how much trouble I can cause...
HTPC Rig:
Acer Revo 1600 /Tira2 IR rcvr
NAS: UNRAID
This would be nice, just discovered avahi - quick and easy possibility for Linux Smile
Install AutoFS.

Enable NFS shares on what ever computers you want to.

Add the AutoFS shares.

/net/server.local/tank/TV works from every computer in my house. The ARM Plug, the HTPC, my Macbook, and it's a loopback mount for my OpenSolaris Box.

Same with /net/plug.local/, /net/htpc.local/ and /net/mac.local/

Auto FS handles everything, and since I use a MySQL database, if I tossed another HTPC for the bedroom or decide to run a separate one for my projector, then all the drive mappings are identical.

I also have everything referenced that way for SickBeard, CouchPotato and SABnzbd.

When I first did a huge SickBeard import, everything in the config was in terms of /net/

So I could launch it on my Mac, my Plug, my Server, etc. So for the first import and rename I "ran" it on my Mac, even though the media files were on the Server and the SickBeard files themselves were on the Plug.
My home is pure *nix as well, and I always use SMB. Sad as it may be, on Linux the Window's way of networking is easiest.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Question regarding zeroconf0