[Ubuntu] Dharma doesn't prompt for SMB password
Hi all,

I'm noticed a problem with Dharma builds: when adding a SMB source, it doesn't prompt for username and password. All it happens is a box with the message "busy, please wait", but the login box never pops up. I need to stop the xbmc service and start it again.
I'm running Ubuntu karmic and never had this problem with 9.11 stable. First I notice this in beta1; now still happening with beta2 SVN 33608.

Any solution for this issue?

Cheers.

EDIT: give I try with oficial beta1 (33300 from 29/ago). Same problem, but different message: "working" instead of " "busy, please wait".

Cheers.
try adding a network location from the list of sources; add the username and password there
Exclamation 
Anastrophe Wrote:try adding a network location from the list of sources; add the username and password there

i have this problem now since 7 months too. again good to see i am not the only with this issue. there was some more users in the past. I have created an ticket under http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8840.
I highly prefer an fix for this issue instead trying other ways to get the same results!
greetings, Stephan

Anastrophe Wrote:try adding a network location from the list of sources; add the username and password there

Hi Anastrophe,

Thanks for this workaround. It is very useful. Much easier then edit passwords.xml and add the info by hand (I was doing this way).
Let's hope for a definitive solution for this bug. Add a source should be something intuitive and easy to do for any user (like everything else in XBMC).

Cheers.

@ openelec.tv: I will give a look in the ticket!

Cheers 2 Big Grin
FireMan Wrote:@ openelec.tv: I will give a look in the ticket!

Cheers 2 Big Grin

what i want say... please report such bugs more and more (trac and forum) except using workarounds! so this bug will be fixed. we have an function that dont work...

the bug is now more then 7 months old...
greetings, Stephan

Have noticed this to. When my subtitle download did not work i started searching my error. Noticed that the connection from my xbmc machine to my nas was not made by my "xbmc" user that has write permissions.

I then setup the network location again, and did enter my "xbmc" user and pass. When i check on my nas the user xbmc was not connected and i did not have the write permissions to the drive. All pointing to that xbmc does not use the user and password i have enterd when i added on the source list.
alex84 Wrote:Have noticed this to. When my subtitle download did not work i started searching my error. Noticed that the connection from my xbmc machine to my nas was not made by my "xbmc" user that has write permissions.

I then setup the network location again, and did enter my "xbmc" user and pass. When i check on my nas the user xbmc was not connected and i did not have the write permissions to the drive. All pointing to that xbmc does not use the user and password i have enterd when i added on the source list.

Did you join your xbmclive box to your domain/workgroup? AFAIK otherwise your user is probably being treated as anonymous - I could be wrong on that, just an idea.
Just downloaded the official xbmc-Dharma_beta1-live.iso and boot from it.
Same problem: no prompt for password when add a SMB source.
I believe the bug isn't related to Ubuntu install, but to linux XBMC as a whole.

Cheers.
there is now an patch in trunk (and will be merged to dharma before the release) so we have this feature working again :-)
greetings, Stephan

GREAT NEWS: this bug was crushed in the latest official beta (trough PPA, beta2, 33778, 09/14/10).
Will try latest Dharma SVN compiled now, but should work too.

Cheers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Ubuntu] Dharma doesn't prompt for SMB password0