• 53(current)
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad
DarkHelmet Wrote:[...]Scrolling down a list for example. With a touch remote I can just keep my finger on the down button whereas with the gestures solution I have to wipe down constantly until the end of the touchscreen is reached. I know this might sound like a small thing but with a list of music artists of over 2000 artists it takes a long time to scroll down to ZZ Top, which takes me to the next small thing.[...]
Use single finger, swipe down and hold the finger, works like you're holsing arrow down (or up, left or right if you swipe and hold in those directions) does what it sounds to me like you're looking for.

spamdoggi Wrote:[...]I wish you could add Wake on Lan (may be automagically on start/resume the App for last used Server), that would be awesome.[...]
It has Wake On LAN. If the last connected server isn't online, on the remote screen you get the option to > Wake 'NameOfComputer' <

Although WOL doesn't seem to work for me, but then again it might be my Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H motherboard that doesn't support it, at least I can't find Wake On LAN options in the BIOS, only Wake on Modem and such.
briped Wrote:Use single finger, swipe down and hold the finger, works like you're holsing arrow down (or up, left or right if you swipe and hold in those directions) does what it sounds to me like you're looking for.

Will try that out. I have two xbmc devices, one on a windows pc and one on an apple tv 2. Gestures don't work at all on my windows machine, shortcuts work rarely, mostly they're not even there (the short cuts screen on my ipod touch is just empty).

I've been fiddling around with the playlist generator from this thread (brilliant program btw):

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=83915

Some strange things happen in the remote when using this. The playlist view makes the app crash occasionally, maybe when the addon adds songs to the playlist. The names of the songs ahead from the one playing right now are not shown. Instead the paths to the songs are displayed. Since they are however on a NAS connected with samba the names of the paths are too long so every song is called "smb://NAS-Server/Qmultimedia/MP3/..." I know this is most probably a feature or a program only used by a handful of people but still, in case you find the time, I'd appreciate you having a look at what's happening here.

In playlist view I guess the app intends to show the now playing song on top of the list. It does however scroll just a little too low.

I'm using the app on an ipod touch 4G with xbmc 10.1 on a windows machine and an apple tv 2 respectively.

Thanks in advance.
According to what I can figure out, WOL is enabled for my computer but I am unable to wake it from XBMC commander. Will troubleshoot a bit further.

Another idea for a feature... Option to keep screen alive when XBMC commander is active.
I just wanted to know if anybody else is experiencing that the remote sometimes seems to stick and keeps repeating. I've had a couple of instances where it just keeps going to the right
D'OH!

I decided to live on the edge and upgraded to the latest XBMC nightly build (April 9) and now Commander just gives me a black screen on movies, TV and music. I can't go back to an official Dharma release as they have changed the file structure apparantly!

I deleted the cache but that was no help.

DON'T UPGRADE TO THE LATEST XBMC NIGHTLY BUILD!!!! No
Quote:Cheers, i just dont know if i should by an apple tv for the front end as i am trying to find a good front end to run my server as I have a ps3 and going to sell it and use your xbmc remote on the ipad when i get one with a front end that can handle xbmc but what to use in it's place

what do you use or your setup
I'm using a full blown htpc (some athlon cpu, antec fusion case, geforce) running ubuntu linux in my living room.

Quote:Problem 1

when i get a new info on a show i just added but only has 1 season the poster art does not work ? On TVDB there is no poster season picture for the show so i made my own and placed it in the season 1 folder like i do with all my shows.
it seems that if there is no folder art on TVDB and you add your own the iphone or ipad does not display the poster cover for that season.
also the same for thumbs if there is none on TVDB and XBMC auto cache its own thumbs XBMC commander will not display them to
basicly if its not on TVDB it does not show up on the remote even if you add your own poster and thumbs

is there a way to fix this
Don't know for sure, try adding a picture in xbmc by browsing to the season, toggling the "info" view and selecting "thumbnail" (i think)

Quote:Problem 2

Subtitles when you use your subtitles button to turn on and off it works perfectly but if the movie has forced subtitles for none english speaking parts of the movie and you want to turn on full subtitles you can not do this. It only lets you turn on forced subs on or off you can not choise full englsih subs you can not seem to select other subtitle tracks

is there a way to fix this thanks maybe you just keep hitting subttiles button to scroll the tracks instead so it turns them on then as you tap it scrolls all the subtitle tracks untill the end and then it turns off, or even 2 subtitles buttons one for on and off and another for which subtitle track you want to select by scrooling them

Also maybe adding an audio selector to so that you can change different audios
Cycling through subtitle languages can be done by adding a custom button to the remote. This is currently only available on the iPad, not on iPhone or iPod. But i'll add it to those sooner or later too.
See http://www.xbmc-commander.com far a description.

Quote:Especially in the music section I'd love some kind of shortcut which makes me jump to my artists starting with "k" or "o" or "z" instead of having to scroll down for quite some time. Most of my other apps have a vertical alphabetical list of letters on the very right side of the screen where the scrollbar is.
Due to an early design decision i can't use the index that iOS semi-automatically provides for lists.
I'm currently experimenting with my own way of dealing with this, but i'm so far not very pleased with the outcome. Once i find a good way to do this though it will be added.

Quote:And finally I'm a huge fan of music videos and music playlists. Both quite underrated features of xbmc imo judging from the forum. Neither of these are supported by the remote. It would be sweet to have these supported by your remote.
Music videos are on my todo list - i just don't get to do them Smile
Playlists are something i'll have to dig into too, but right now theres only very limited support for playlists through XBMCs new JSON api.
Playlists will be improved a lot in future versions of XBMC. I'll try to keep up with these improvements.

Quote:I just wanted to know if anybody else is experiencing that the remote sometimes seems to stick and keeps repeating. I've had a couple of instances where it just keeps going to the right
i've had that once in my early testing stage...
I send a keydown event to xbmc as soon as a swipe is detected, and a keyup event when the finger is lifted again. Seems there are some rare circumstances where the keyup isn't sent / recognized. repeating the same gesture should solve the issue.

Quote:Will try that out. I have two xbmc devices, one on a windows pc and one on an apple tv 2. Gestures don't work at all on my windows machine, shortcuts work rarely, mostly they're not even there (the short cuts screen on my ipod touch is just empty).
Sounds like connection problems to me, especially on port 9777.
Check out the troubleshooting page.

Quote:Some strange things happen in the remote when using this. The playlist view makes the app crash occasionally, maybe when the addon adds songs to the playlist. The names of the songs ahead from the one playing right now are not shown. Instead the paths to the songs are displayed. Since they are however on a NAS connected with samba the names of the paths are too long so every song is called "smb://NAS-Server/Qmultimedia/MP3/..." I know this is most probably a feature or a program only used by a handful of people but still, in case you find the time, I'd appreciate you having a look at what's happening here.
I'm only displaying what XBMC offers me.
Sounds to me as if the script doesn't add the items to the playlist by their database id, but by their filename. In this case XBMC doesn't provide any metadata when i query the playlist, just the filename...

Quote:In playlist view I guess the app intends to show the now playing song on top of the list. It does however scroll just a little too low.
Noticed that one too; will be fixed.

Quote:Another idea for a feature... Option to keep screen alive when XBMC commander is active.
You mean the ipads screen?
Good idea Smile

clipper99 Wrote:D'OH!

I decided to live on the edge and upgraded to the latest XBMC nightly build (April 9) and now Commander just gives me a black screen on movies, TV and music. I can't go back to an official Dharma release as they have changed the file structure apparantly!

I deleted the cache but that was no help.

DON'T UPGRADE TO THE LATEST XBMC NIGHTLY BUILD!!!! No

Some pretty basic changes were introduced into the json interface.
I'll need to adapt to these sooner or later anyway, so i'd rather make it sooner....
i'm working on it, will introduce a toggle switch in the next update.
grywnn Wrote:Thats why i've added the possibility to add custom http shortcuts (at least on the ipad atm; see above): You could create a small pearl / php / whatever script that - for example - starts xbmc, make it available through a webserver like apache, and add that url as a shortcut to xbmc commander.

ahh, i see-the only problem is: if no xbmc is running, the shortcuts are not shown Smile perhaps you could add an option flag for the shortcutsnto be shown even if no xbmc is running? so then the start xbmc shortcut could work Wink

cheers,
bigcheese
Thanks grywnn, I guess I can live with my Harmony remote until the next update! Laugh

Cheers
grywnn thanks for the app, works great and have been using since 1.0 awesome app
Have said earlier on the thread how much I love this app, and it remains true.

Having an issue with the music though - doesn't seem to read the library completely. For example, I just added an EP to iTunes, it has been picked up and can be played in XBMC but the app only sees the artist and the ep but not the actual tracks?

If you tap play album the ipad quits to the home screen? Any ideas?

If I use my harmony remote I can navigate to the EP and choose tracks, so it's not an XBMC issue.

Also, enqueue doesn't seem to work - certainly not all the time anyway.

Still love it though.

Also, should add, I have deleted the cache in the app and redownloaded data - no help
grywnn, I have had some problems since the last update.. Everything seems to be ok apart from the "remote" part of the app. none of the buttons work apart from the Pause. I can browse all the shows/movies, Queue them etc but once they are playing I cannot do anything in the remote.

Any ideas?

Thanks
@BigCheese
*facepalm*
Sure, makes perfect sense.

@motevideo
No idea atm. Please end me a crashlog, maybe i can find something in that (info(at)xbmc-commander.com).

@danceresort
I've switched from the soon to be deprecated http api to the event server. This might require additional setup in xbmc or your firewall. Please check out the trouble shooting section on http://www.xbmc-commander.com

@all
I'll be on a two week vacation to scotland for the next - surprise - two weeks. I'll keep reading mail and checking this forum from time to time, just don't expect my responses to be ultra fast Smile
Ahhhh!! that will explain it, sorry I didnt know. Ill sort that after Hawaii 5-0 Wink

Give me a wave when your fly over Birmingham in England on the way to Scotland!
Question 
Hi. Thanks for the great app!
I just came home and the app is giving me a "connection refused" error. The program worked at my last location, and at home before. I've checked the web interface and that loads. I made sure I had the right ip, username and password, as well as matching ports. I've also tried multiple ports. Any ideas?
I'm using both an iPad and an iPhone 3GS on a win7 xbmc
Rock4ever3399 Wrote:Hi. Thanks for the great app!
I just came home and the app is giving me a "connection refused" error. The program worked at my last location, and at home before. I've checked the web interface and that loads. I made sure I had the right ip, username and password, as well as matching ports. I've also tried multiple ports. Any ideas?
I'm using both an iPad and an iPhone 3GS on a win7 xbmc

Have you tried this
I've switched from the soon to be deprecated http api to the event server. This might require additional setup in xbmc or your firewall. Please check out the trouble shooting section on http://www.xbmc-commander.com
  • 53(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Commander - Yet another unofficial third-party XBMC remote for iPad13