• 45(current)
[RELEASE] Aeon MQ 2
ESCO1 Wrote:Thank you for giving us the textures...can you or someone else please advise on how we apply the changes to the skin. In all honesty i love the the skin and the textures the only thing i changed was the color scheme which you have a sorta green opaque color and i simple disatured all the images. Please explain how i can apply the change. Thank you so much as always...excellent work on this new release.

If you are editing the textures to alter the colours, for example the list view panel, just save to replace when your done. Make sure you do have the unpacked textures in the installed skin's media folder, deleting the textures.xbt

If you are using windows the skin would in your roaming folder
(user > app data (hidden) > roaming > xbmc > addons > skin.aeonmq-2 > media)
MarcosQui Wrote:
boykster
, in addition to putting the image in the folder you need to activate the option in SETTINGS> ADVANCED> FANART

Yep - already tried that, no genre fanart for me. I'm going to dig further to see if it's something with my files, case issues, etc.

I've tried:

Comedy.jpg
COMEDY.jpg
comedy.jpg

no dice.

EDIT:

May have found the issue. NOPE!

Meh - I'm an idiot. moviegenre is where the thumbnails are located, not the fanart files. Rolleyes

FINAL EDIT:

I think I've got it this time - it IS a case issue, but not for the files but rather the folder. In MyMusicNav.xml, the path is videogenrefanart, but on disk it is VideoGenreFanart. Doesn't matter on windows, but linux is case sensitive. Still need to wait for later to test it, but I'm thinking this is the issue.
Stranger Wrote:If you are editing the textures to alter the colours, for example the list view panel, just save to replace when your done. Make sure you do have the unpacked textures in the installed skin's media folder, deleting the textures.xbt

Thanx buddie! I figured you would reply lol but I didn't wanna bother you since you have already helped me out so much...hows things in the UK...I will touch base with you on skype later today if you're on....thanks again.
Oh - and I want to thank MarcosQui for all the awesome work that went into this new release. It truly is spectacular. The menu/sub-menu functionality is simply awe-inspiring with how flexible and well executed it is.

KUDOS!
mad-max Wrote:Hi Marcos,

as promised, the german translation after the update:

http://pastebin.com/3bmfXGrM

Hopefully, this translation will make it into 2.5.1...

cheers,
mad-max

Not, the version 2.5.1 is a bit different, I'll try to get the file right here not to delay further.

Thank you for cooperation.
Stranger Wrote:If you are editing the textures to alter the colours, for example the list view panel, just save to replace when your done. Make sure you do have the unpacked textures in the installed skin's media folder, deleting the textures.xbt

Hey G. just to clarify do I unzip the "skin.AeonMQ-2.2.5.0" folder and delete the "textures.xbt" file inside the media folder and add a new folder called "textures" with all the unpacked textures folders containing folders for example calibration,colorselector,mutiwall,welcome,etc.and the rest of the PNG files which i only unsatured (removed color) and then zip it back togetherHuh? If this is not correct please correct me...also what if down the road i decided to not only alter the colors but the actual textures like the gradient effect and that sort of thing with my own graphics using the same dimensions,name,and file type ofcourse would i also simple just unpacked replaced and repacked the zip folderHuh something tells me its not that simple and theres more work involved..thanks for the help also remember the new episode of Bleach comes out today back to the story line finally the fillers are over....Thank you.
1) locate and delete the textures.xbt file - note the location of this file

2) unrar the file Media - AeonMQ-2.rar. You can either unrar into a temp directory and then transfer over, or do it directly, but in the end, you want all of the sub-directories and files that are in Media - AeonMQ-2.rar to be located in your \addons\skin.aeonmq-2\media directory. This is the same directory that the textures.xbt file was located.

3) restart XBMC and you're now running on uncompressed textures.
and why would we want to run on uncompressed textures??

it speeds XBMC up?

thnx
eskro Wrote:and why would we want to run on uncompressed textures??

it speeds XBMC up?

thnx

What I'd like to do is use the uncompressed textures, change the backdrops to ones that I prefer and then compress to .xbt again to create my own theme. Is this possible? if so how?
you dont need to go that far to change backdrops....
there's a file you can edit called guisettings.xml
all backdrops infos are in there...

located for winXP --> C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\XBMC\userdata

check for this string --> <setting type="string" name="skin.AeonMQ-2.customshutdown">
eskro Wrote:i dont think you have to go that far to change backdrops....

there's a file you can edit called guisettings.xml

located for winXP --> C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Application Data\XBMC\userdata

all backdrops infos are in there...

check for this string --> <setting type="string" name="skin.AeonMQ-2.customshutdown">

I find that if I use backdrops that are not in the textures.xbt then I get a slight delay and a black screen for a second or two when exiting menu's. so I was hoping to create my own theme so that it works like the themes supplied with Aeon MQ 2. Is it easy to create a xbt file or is it a black art.
i dont have a problem,,,

your sure your backdrops are in BMP format??
You know, between all the small things of "that detail doesn't show up", "how do I plug my smartlist in I-don't-know-what submenu", etc, I'd like to take a moment to see the grand scheme of things.

What did Marcos do ultimately? He added functionality to Aeon. Not design, which is the main aim for all the lone gunmen designing skins around here, but functionality. The type of functionality that - if you ask me, even if I'm probably in a minority - should've been there a long time ago. How many threads are there with I want my music video/concert/documentaries/home made videos, etc on the home menu? How many threads modding every skin to add custom menus?

So qudos to Marcos for getting it right. But what he did, raises 2 very important issues for me.

1) I won't be able to enjoy any other skin. It won't matter that they have supreme graphics; they can't leverage the power of the database behind, by comparison. I can't bring that power into their interfaces (and no, being able to do that to some degree it's not good enough and it'll never be).

By sheer amount of effort Marcos got the balance right again, between design and functionality.

2) XBMC community and XBMC developers proud themselves at the uber flexibility of the skin engine. But if it takes 27000+ lines of code to get this kind of functionality into a skin I say there's something wrong with the concept. I don't know what, I'm not an expert. I just apply my common sense.

What's one to do on a new skin to repeat the feat? Rewrite 27000+ lines of code? Or copy paste Marco's? What am I to do, who I'm good at Photoshop and I'm not an idiot at XML but still learning about coding skins? The prospect of 27000+ lines of code to get functionality in, it kills my will to live...! Smile

Which gets to my questioning the concept. The devs got the skinning engine really flexible. But what have we given up for that?

Just to be clear, I'm not taking aim at anybody. I'm just looking at things in the grand scheme, which I feel it's a category of discussion that's lacking, between the zillion of small things people ask about.
Daydream Wrote:What did Marcos do ultimately? He added functionality to Aeon. Not design, which is the main aim for all the lone gunmen designing skins around here, but functionality.

So qudos to Marcos for getting it right. But what he did, raises 2 very important issues for me.

1) I won't not be able to enjoy any other skin. It won't matter that they have supreme graphics;

Just to be clear, I'm not taking aim at anybody. I'm just looking at things in the grand scheme, which I feel it's a category of discussion that's lacking, between the zillion of small things people ask about.

I agree with some of this but don't forget the design elements MarcosQui has implemented, Styles? And in the grand scheme of things I recognise your frustration but XBMC is an open source community based media player and sometimes 27000 lines of code has to come first
Well, in case anyone's interested:

changing the case on the folder \media\VideoGenreFanart to \media\videogenrefanart fixes the issue I was having.

This isn't necessary for windows users, but anyone using linux or LIVE will definitely need to keep that in mind.
  • 45(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Aeon MQ 232