• 4(current)
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?
No.
prae5 Wrote:No.

Best reply ever.Laugh You guys should just make a sticky thread titled "NO XBMC DOESN'T RUN ON THE NEW APPLE TV SO STOP ASKING!'
Hi to all,

can anyone tell if there will be a support for the new generation of apple tv ?
I'm interested in buying it, only if i can install xbmc on it.

Thank you.
Aristotele Wrote:Hi to all,

can anyone tell if there will be a support for the new generation of apple tv ?
I'm interested in buying it, only if i can install xbmc on it.

Thank you.

We'll have to wait and see.

I think Davilla (and Sam Nazarko?) are looking at it, and it has been "jailbroken" but it remains to be seen if there will be a quick and easy "patchstick" installation of XBMC for it.

I'm sure they'll let us know if it's on its way.

-Wes
waldo22 Wrote:it remains to be seen if there will be a quick and easy "patchstick" installation of XBMC for it.

-Wes

This is becoming comical.

Won't be quick, won't be easy, and more than likely just won't be, period.
misterpink Wrote:Won't be quick, won't be easy, and more than likely just won't be, period.

Have you ever jailbroken an iDevice before? It's cake.

Once stuff is setup:
Hook up ATV via USB.
Jail break.
Navigate to Cydia. (Or even better ssh to the ATV).
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live

That should be all it takes. It's all it takes for me to currently get stuff.
so, darkscout, then please do us a favor and start coding a fully functional xbmc ARM build for the ATV!
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
patches welcomed is the only response suitable ...
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
http://iphoneblogr.com/2010/11/how-to-in...-tutorial/

Seams like new app architecture helps a lot.
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

darkscout Wrote:Have you ever jailbroken an iDevice before? It's cake.

Once stuff is setup:
Hook up ATV via USB.
Jail break.
Navigate to Cydia. (Or even better ssh to the ATV).
sudo apt-get install xbmc-live

That should be all it takes. It's all it takes for me to currently get stuff.

HAHHA, you are so funny.
The plex frapp is just KLEXi stripped down and wrapped to run under the new AppleTV. The developer seems to not want others to know that it's KLEXi for some reason and want to remain a mystery man with a hidden agenda. Running strings on the frapp reveals some interesting bits. I'll leave it as an exercise for the user to figure out what plex/KLEXi might have in store (oo, a pun) for the future.
My comment was in direct response on being able to installing app installation "Won't be quick, won't be easy, and more than likely just won't be, period.".

I wasn't making any comment about porting XBMC (or any other piece of software) to the A4.

Once, if ever, XBMC is ported. Then the installation should be as simple as PatchStick or installing any App to any jailbroken iOS device.

darkscout Wrote:Once, if ever, XBMC is ported. Then the installation should be as simple as PatchStick or installing any App to any jailbroken iOS device.[/img]

There can't be any garantue on that. Just because other may have been simple doesn't mean it won't be heaps of work to make any other app being simple to install. And stuff doesn't happen magically.

Produce patches or stop guessing.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
darkscout Wrote:My comment was in direct response on being able to installing app installation "Won't be quick, won't be easy, and more than likely just won't be, period.".

I wasn't making any comment about porting XBMC (or any other piece of software) to the A4.

Once, if ever, XBMC is ported. Then the installation should be as simple as PatchStick or installing any App to any jailbroken iOS device.
[/img]

The comment in question, which happens to be have been made by me, was related to the topic being discussed, which is getting XBMC to run on an appletv2. To assume it was made in regards to only how to transfer the code from point a to point b is just more silliness.

As had been mentioned ad nauseum, xbmc dev team is not working on a port, so either discuss who is, or discuss your own progress, or lets just let it die already.
Letting it die seems kind of rash. I can understand the dev team not wanting to pick up another system, but who's to say enough interest will not bring in someone new to try and do it. I am very interested in seeing xbmc on this device. Its tiny, network enabled and inexpensive. I do not code unfortunately so my contributions will be little to none :/. VLC (uses similar libraries as xbmc if I remember correctly) was ported to iPhone and ipad which both run on the same processor as the apple tv. The developers have also posted the source code if someone would like to take a peak to see if its any useful.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Port XBMC to run on hacked second-gen Apple TV (AppleTV 2 with A4 ARM chip and iOS)?0