[LIVE] some files are not outputting audio, current SVN
1. "Latest" is NOT a revision, of ANYTHING! (See below)

Code:
NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS, 2.6.32-24-generic i686). Built on Sep 14 2010 (SVN:33778)

2. Linux Distribution and Version (eg. Ubuntu 8.04, Gentoo 2007.0-r1, etc)
3. Architecture (eg. i686, x86_64, etc. See below.)

Aspire Revo AR3610-U9022:
Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:~$uname -a
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-24-generic #43-Ubuntu SMP Thu Sep 16 14:17:33 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

4. Install Method (PPA, RPM, build.sh, manual, other)

SVN

5. SVN Revision (See below.)

see above

6. Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem (The more specific the better.)

I am having this problem with several files, but I've identified one for now. I can probably find some more if needed. This particular file ALWAYS plays with no audio. My audio settings:

Audio output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 2.0
Boost Volume on Downmix = False
Dolby Digital Recvr = False
DTS Capable = False
Audio output device: HDMI
Passthrough audio device: HDMI

7. FULL Debug Log (Please use your favorite paste site! See below.) << NOT OPTIONAL!

http://pastebin.com/vTNG0MWa

from ffmpeg -i:

Input #0, avi, from 'badaudio.avi':
Duration: 00:09:51.07, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 838 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 540x420 [PAR 1:1 DAR 9:7], 15 tbr, 15 tbn, 15 tbc
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 22050 Hz, stereo, s16, 64 kb/s
blm14 Wrote:Input #0, avi, from 'badaudio.avi':
Duration: 00:09:51.07, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 838 kb/s
Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 540x420 [PAR 1:1 DAR 9:7], 15 tbr, 15 tbn, 15 tbc
Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 22050 Hz, stereo, s16, 64 kb/s

Have you tried using something that has another audio type? I had an issue with audio/video speedups and MP3 would not play at all unless it was 48000 Hz.

You can find my original thread here.
it plays fine in VLC, if that's what you're asking. My XBMC install plays plenty of video files' audio as well...

Claiming MP3 audio support but only at particular bitrates is kind of lame. I hope that's not what XBMC actually does Sad

Looking at that original thread, it says to use "plug:hdmi" (I want to try that solution first). Where do I specify that? I don't see it as an audio setting in the GUI - is that in some XML file?
blm14 Wrote:it plays fine in VLC, if that's what you're asking. My XBMC install plays plenty of video files' audio as well...

Claiming MP3 audio support but only at particular bitrates is kind of lame. I hope that's not what XBMC actually does Sad

Looking at that original thread, it says to use "plug:hdmi" (I want to try that solution first). Where do I specify that? I don't see it as an audio setting in the GUI - is that in some XML file?

Hehe... let me clarify that one for you. What i mean is that the HDMI normally only supports 48000 Hz audio and MP3 with less then that did pass on my system.

Now, it's fixable, you just need to get your system to resample/convert the audio to 48000 Hz before it throws it down the HDMI cable. Those settings you see are for the ALSA sound system in linux. You need to find out where your configuration file needs to go and work from there.

Mine need to be located in /etc and was called asound.conf
You can see what i was doing to fix it here. That's post #9 on the thread.

I eventually ended up with the following in my asound.conf file thanks to some input from TREX6662k5:
Code:
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave {
        pcm "hw:1,3"
        rate 48000
    }
}

And my XBMC settings became this:
Audio output: Analog
Audio output device: default
Passthrough audio device: HDA ATI HDMI hdmi (Note: i dont use passthrough on my system)

The ALSA configuration file makes the system resample the audio before it throws it out to the TV. XBMC used to have an option for this at one time i think, but i cant find it in the Dharma version i'm using. It was called plug:hdmi.
Night - that worked! It now plays those crappy audio streams and I can head audio.

However, if I'm understanding this correctly, if I have a file with a bitrate that's HIGHER than 48000, it's forced back down, is that correct? I mean, I have some 256k sampled MP3s, I think this will dramatically DECREASE my sound quality, no?

Is there some way to say "use force48 when bitrate lower than 48000 else use normal HDMI audio" ? That would be PERFECT.
blm14 Wrote:Night - that worked! It now plays those crappy audio streams and I can head audio.

However, if I'm understanding this correctly, if I have a file with a bitrate that's HIGHER than 48000, it's forced back down, is that correct? I mean, I have some 256k sampled MP3s, I think this will dramatically DECREASE my sound quality, no?
Not at all... your thinking quality, the 48000Hz is just the frequency the sound card uses when sending out the sound. Your MP3 will still be 256k, 128k, etc with no change in quality.

So your MP3 will playback at 48000Hz with a bitrate of 256k. Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] some files are not outputting audio, current SVN0