• 12(current)
[WIP] Neon - a new skin for XBMC
Shouldn't play and cast be available when in kiosk mode? I figure that kiosk mode only should remove the stuff that can change the experience, such as changing views, changing fanart and such, or do I have the wrong idea of what kiosk mode should do?
Hello,
When xbmc starts, Neon is by default on TV shows menu, if I enter into films and go back, Neon is again on TV shows , not on Films. Same problems with all menus.
Kalliban Wrote:Shouldn't play and cast be available when in kiosk mode? I figure that kiosk mode only should remove the stuff that can change the experience, such as changing views, changing fanart and such, or do I have the wrong idea of what kiosk mode should do?

Yeah - it looks like there are a few issues in there... It's broken in Night too, so I can't cheat. Confused Laugh

I'll hunt down the overlay issue and then get to the kiosk issue.
-stoli-
jeepcook Wrote:Hello,
When xbmc starts, Neon is by default on TV shows menu, if I enter into films and go back, Neon is again on TV shows , not on Films. Same problems with all menus.

It defaults to the third item in the menu. I'll have to look at another skin, likely Alaska, to see how it's handled there. Consider it added to my to-do list.

Thanks,
-stoli-
smilenkovski Wrote:Hi stoli. Cast on TV Shows (info screen) is messed up.
Thanks for your hard work on our loved skin.

Fixed and pushed to git.

Thanks for finding that!
-stoli-
stoli Wrote:Fixed and pushed to git.

Thanks for finding that!

Thanks.
Kalliban Wrote:EDIT1: I tried to resize the backdrop image curtains.png from 1080 to 720 since I only have a HD-ready TV. I only did it fast to try it so didn't really think about file size and quality and so on. The file ended up being about 300kb larger than the original (!) but still loaded faster. Now the lag is almost gone, so maybe the lag comes from scaling the image to the different resolution?

[snip]

EDIT3: Just had another thought. Maybe it's because you haven't compressed the media files into textures.xbt?

I've updated the images - combined they are are only 227k now. The first time they load they may be a little slow as xmbc adds them to the cache, but after that it should be quick.

Once I am happy with the graphics I'll create a xbt, but with all the updates I do now, that would be a bit cumbersome.

Thanks,
-stoli-
I have a question. Do the new updates get into Neon (SVN) in the Passion-XBMC.org Add-ons repository or should I always update via the zip-file? Smile
Kalliban Wrote:I have a question. Do the new updates get into Neon (SVN) in the Passion-XBMC.org Add-ons repository or should I always update via the zip-file? Smile

To be honest I wasn't even aware it was on the Passion repo. That being said, I am not sure how often it is updated, but I think I recall reading it was nightly. I'll do some checking and find out - and now I know I need to be a little more diligent about updating the changelog. :-)

Edit: It get's updated nightly on the repo - links in the first post.

Thanks,
-stoli-
I did a little testing regarding my previous problem with a small lag when going past the ".." in tv-shows. The lag did not go away even though you fixed the images so I decided to try to fix it myself. As I said before I use ddsfanart, so I converted the backdrop images to dds and edited the xml files for MyVideo and MyVideoNav (I wasn't sure which one it was) so that it looked for curtains.dds instead of .jpg. This removed the lag completely and the backdrop image now loads as fast as any fanart. (I did the same thing for the movies background for ".." since the lag existed there to.)
I do not think that this is a skin related bug but rather a aspect of the dds-functionality of xbmc that is not finished (the caching of skin-textures are not converted to dds and used as such). I did however feel like sharing my experience with you since you know a whole lot more about how xbmc and the skins work than I do.
I also converted the background images for the home screen to dds and the skin really flies now! I hope you find this interesting and maybe you can do something with it Smile
This skin is almost perfect, I'm eagerly waiting for the fanart-based view for movies you talked about earlier! Then it will truly be perfect! Big Grin
Kalliban Wrote:I did a little testing regarding my previous problem with a small lag when going past the ".." in tv-shows. The lag did not go away even though you fixed the images so I decided to try to fix it myself. As I said before I use ddsfanart, so I converted the backdrop images to dds and edited the xml files for MyVideo and MyVideoNav (I wasn't sure which one it was) so that it looked for curtains.dds instead of .jpg. This removed the lag completely and the backdrop image now loads as fast as any fanart. (I did the same thing for the movies background for ".." since the lag existed there to.)
I do not think that this is a skin related bug but rather a aspect of the dds-functionality of xbmc that is not finished (the caching of skin-textures are not converted to dds and used as such). I did however feel like sharing my experience with you since you know a whole lot more about how xbmc and the skins work than I do.
I also converted the background images for the home screen to dds and the skin really flies now! I hope you find this interesting and maybe you can do something with it Smile
This skin is almost perfect, I'm eagerly waiting for the fanart-based view for movies you talked about earlier! Then it will truly be perfect! Big Grin

I'll have to play with this this weekend along with hopefully putting together a new view or two as promised. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to work that out.

Edit: @Kaliban - was the issue only when passing over the .. parent folder icons, or all fanart in general? Anyone else seeing an issue here?

Edit 2: @Kaliban - what hardware are you running on?
-stoli-
jeepcook Wrote:Hello,
Great skin but I've found an issue, when you download an addon, le % does not appears. Other skins show this.
Thanks

Stoli,

You said Fixed, but the column is not enough larged to see the %, I can just see Télecharg... (download in french)

Thanks
stoli Wrote:I'll have to play with this this weekend along with hopefully putting together a new view or two as promised. :-)

Thanks for taking the time to work that out.

Edit: @Kaliban - was the issue only when passing over the .. parent folder icons, or all fanart in general? Anyone else seeing an issue here?

Edit 2: @Kaliban - what hardware are you running on?

When browsing fanart in general it is super fast, the dds converted images actually makes the fanart load faster than the covers Laugh So the issue was only when passing over the "..", where xbmc loads a skin-background (or backdrop).
I'm running on a Asrock 330HT-BD, which is a ION-based setup with a dual core atom 330 processor. The ION gpu gives a perfect hardware acceleration but the processor is not much to cheer about. That's why I'm searching for ways to improve speed, such as dds (which allows the images to be hardware accelerated as well). Smile
Kalliban Wrote:When browsing fanart in general it is super fast, the dds converted images actually makes the fanart load faster than the covers Laugh So the issue was only when passing over the "..", where xbmc loads a skin-background (or backdrop).
I'm running on a Asrock 330HT-BD, which is a ION-based setup with a dual core atom 330 processor. The ION gpu gives a perfect hardware acceleration but the processor is not much to cheer about. That's why I'm searching for ways to improve speed, such as dds (which allows the images to be hardware accelerated as well). Smile

If you create a file called advancedsettings.xml and drop it in your userdata folder it will cause xbmc to create dds files for your entire cache.

The contents of the file should be as follows;

Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

Now when you restart xbmc, any image you pause on will have a dds created. However be aware it will take a while to create a cache for each image, and also that a dds file is many times larger than its parent jpg or tbn.

I'm using this method on my atom and it makes a big difference when browsing library items with 1080 fanart.
jeepcook Wrote:Stoli,

You said Fixed, but the column is not enough larged to see the %, I can just see Télecharg... (download in french)

Thanks

I'll make it larger. Didn't think to check the strings file for other translations.
-stoli-
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] Neon - a new skin for XBMC4