How to install from Dharma Live to an external USB-Drive?
One other thing. Since the usb kernel modules are not loaded at init, this prevents installing from a USB optical drive as well. This, in particular, hampers me, as my HTPC only has a USB optical drive. If I try to boot to the LiveCD grub throws an "Unrecognized File System" error and halts every time.
Hi

I have now resolved this - I bought a new USB key (8GB Corsair Voyager)

I then did the install to USB again and it recognised straight away giving me the option to install to HDD *or* USB Drive.

This time the installation worked perfectly, so I think that the issue may have been with the drive itself. I have noticed that the older USB drive is a bit 'quirky' anyway, sometimes not detecting in Windows/Linux when first plugged in.

The UUID issue: this may be a red herring. I am using dual boot, and you correctly state that this should be fixable in GRUB. luckily (I am a Linux novice) I didn't have to. When I installed on the Corsair drive, it worked first time (I now can choose between Windows 7 and Linux when booting from USB).

I don't think that Loot87 understands what this issue is: you can run straight from USB if you want, but that involves a fairly manual process to get the XBMC Live ISO onto the USB in a bootable format. Most XBMC Live users will not have the first idea of how to do this. Installing to USB from the CD image burnt to a CD/DVD is (normally) completely foolproof.

Luke

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to install from Dharma Live to an external USB-Drive?0