CNN Video Addon disclaimer, what's up with that?
Question 
So, the dharma add-on for CNN Video has a disclaimer at the bottom that reads:

'CNN slants their views liberally. (Obama media)'

Isn't that odd? So, then i go to check Fox News addon to see the exact opposite disclaimer and there is none.

Lol...what's up with this?
Maybe the developer of the plugin is entitled to his opinion, and if you want to have an opinionless plugin for cnn, you should perhaps consider developing it yourself...and fox news is neither liberal or conservative...it is simply opportunistic in kissing the behind of whatever administration is in power to get the inside track on information that gets disclosed to the public. For the record, I'm neither liberal nor conservative, but I think both sides get a little extreme from time to time, and neither is entirely right.
Silverstone Case with Windows 7 HTPC(considering Ubuntu) with Biostar TA790GX A3+ w/ Quad-core Phenom 2 processor, 8GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaw RAM, Zotac nvidia gt430 gpu w/hdmi 1.4a, Pioneer BD-S02 Bluray Combo drive, Mygica HD Thriller ATSC/NTSC Clear QAM Hybrid PCI PVR card, USB-UIRT, Onkyo HT-S9300THX 7.1 System, 50" Panasonic Viera 3DTV (TC-P50GT25), Verizon Fios with Motorola HD DVR, XBOX 360 w/ Kinect, Panasonic DMP-BDT100 FullHD 3D Bluray Player, X10 NStinct Remote
Just kinda weird to see a political opinion attached to a plugin, no? Out of place a bit...

And what's with jumping to the overused 'develop it yourself' rhetoric? I never said i had a problem with it.
There is a difference between "having an opinion" and making an argument. I strongly second the opinion that xbmc-plugins should not be a platform for any political opinion, even more so if they are in the official repos.

modernninja Wrote:if you want to have an opinionless plugin for cnn, you should perhaps consider developing it yourself
Besides this not being the point, no need for that - just fork it Wink Disclaimers are specified in the addon.xml.

modernninja Wrote:For the record, I'm neither liberal nor conservative, but I think both sides get a little extreme from time to time, and neither is entirely right.
And that is why I believe the plugin disclaimer is not a sane place to discuss political statements... Things would just go nasty if every side is trying to put in their views. No-one needs that. And for the record, I sure do not want to see a disclaimer reading "opportunistic channel kissing the behind of whatever administration is in power" for fox neither.

Tried to contact the author of this plugin but didn't quite get my head around the plugin repo, as far as I can see it is not covered in trac and I don't want to hit the addon-repo-mailinglist with this.
To my knowledge, aside from the obvious requirement that addons not violate laws like the DMCA in order to be in the official repository, there are no rules about inserting or removing political opinions or almost anything else from a submitted plugin.

With that said, it's probably for the best not to post political opinions in addons for the simple reason that there's no reason to clog the XBMC discussion board with political talk.

Therefore, I'm willing to leave this thread open so long as it remains a discussion about whether political talk should be in plugins, but will not hesitate to close it if the discussion devolves into right versus left crap.
modernninja Wrote:...and fox news is neither liberal or conservative...it is simply opportunistic in kissing the behind of whatever administration is in power to get the inside track on information that gets disclosed to the public.

lol...thanks for the laugh, I needed one this afternoon.

Yes we've all seen how they have been kissing President Obama's @ss all along...Rolleyes
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
natethomas Wrote:To my knowledge, aside from the obvious requirement that addons not violate laws like the DMCA in order to be in the official repository, there are no rules about inserting or removing political opinions or almost anything else from a submitted plugin.

With that said, it's probably for the best not to post political opinions in addons for the simple reason that there's no reason to clog the XBMC discussion board with political talk.

Therefore, I'm willing to leave this thread open so long as it remains a discussion about whether political talk should be in plugins, but will not hesitate to close it if the discussion devolves into right versus left crap.

agree 100%. XBMC & it's components should not be offering any political slant whatsoever.
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
natethomas Wrote:To my knowledge, aside from the obvious requirement that addons not violate laws like the DMCA in order to be in the official repository, there are no rules about inserting or removing political opinions or almost anything else from a submitted plugin.

May make sense to adding this rule and keep add-ons free of political opinions (at least for the official repo).
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Its better to not have a rule if you can avoid it. Rules can have unintended consequences and make things more complicated.

If this issue has not degraded the XBMC experience beyond the remedy of uninstalling the developer's plugin, then it's probaby best to leave it alone.

I'm a little bit biased here though, because:
1) I think it is hilarious that he did that
2) I think that if someone is going to put effort into developing free software for other people to use, then they are entitled to a little shenanigans.
Well I didn't add the addon, and not because of the disclaimer. Its because I can't stand that bunch of scumbags and their definition of news.

But who cares what I think...
lol, i was searching for a specific thread and saw this.

1. it was intended as humor.
2. they most definately slant left. if you don't see that you are probably on the left side of the line.
3. i will not remove it.
4. i'm glad someone at least got the humor.

Smile
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
Nuka1195 Wrote:lol, i was searching for a specific thread and saw this.

1. it was intended as humor.
2. they most definately slant left. if you don't see that you are probably on the left side of the line.
3. i will not remove it.
4. i'm glad someone at least got the humor.

Smile

Thanks for the plugin!
Off topic and I don't really care but, if you had made a Fox News plug-in would you have put that they lean right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CNN Video Addon disclaimer, what's up with that?0