IMDB ID in movie filename.
Hi,

I wrote a little tool that allows a mapping of movies to IMDB entries by creating .NFO files that contain just the IMDB URL (XBMC Movie Helper in the tools section of this forum). If I thought a bit further, wouldn't it be useful to add the feature that the movie scrapers recognize an IMDB ID in the movie file title, i.E. [Matrix (1999) [tt0133093].mpg]. This would result in 100% movie recognition, without the need of extra files.

best regards,
hobBIT
what's wrong with an additional file? i see no reason to add this - it's only gonna confuse users. users don't like several ways of doing things and some of them won't rename for sure.
spiff Wrote:users don't like several ways of doing things and some of them won't rename for sure.

So if they don't rename their files they would be unaffected, but it would be an extra option for those for whom this would be a useful feature. I would certainly use it.
I just find this is the cleanest and simplest way to map info to a movie without overhead. .nfo files do not really affect the space on my server, but I find them awful when browsing my folders. If I order my filelist by extension the files are in order [avi, mkv, nfo, ts] ... If I order my files by name they were listed [Movie file <> nfo (order depending on movie ext)]. It's not very clean. I always have to bundle both files when copy around.
Thats are just minor problems, but I think the embedding of the ID in the filename is clean, simple and the parsing code itself would be simple (Have no idea how much work it would take to integrate this into the XBMC code).
Moving the ID from .nfo to movie file name can easily be done by a simple script and should not be the problem.

hobBIT
it would take quite some work. we do not hardcode anything for imdb (or any other backend) - we'd have to add a framework for it and update all scrapers etc.
Would it need to be hardcoded? Is it not something which could be done via the scrapers themselves?
that's exactly what i said.
I prefer the same movie filename scheme (Title (year) [imdb_id]) and came up with this solution for XBMC scraper integration.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=120707

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IMDB ID in movie filename.0