[LINUX] How do I get MediaGate MCE Remote working?
I have searched and searched, tried several different remotes and I cannot get them working under Linux is there a guide I missed? I am attempting to setup a mediagate gp-ir02bk any guidance in this matter would be appreciated.
Bump with the same question for this remote (should be the same?). Running Dharma 10.0 on a foxconn nt-330i.

Started with the default config labeled "Windows Media Center Transceivers/Remotes (all)" and the logs show:

Jan 2 06:02:12 XBMCLive kernel: [202314.871238] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 61
Jan 2 06:02:12 XBMCLive kernel: [202314.882991] lirc_mceusb: Windows Media Center Edition USB IR Transceiver driver for LIRC 1.90
Jan 2 06:02:12 XBMCLive kernel: [202314.883003] lirc_mceusb: Daniel Melander <@rajidae.se>, Martin Blatter <@yahoo.com>, Dan Conti <[email protected]>
Jan 2 06:02:12 XBMCLive kernel: [202314.883092] usbcore: registered new interface driver lirc_mceusb

It looks like everything should work, but /etc/init.d/lirc start verbose yields the following:

* Loading LIRC modules [ OK ]
* Unable to load LIRC kernel modules. Verify your
* selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

Any pointers in the right direction are certainly appreciated!
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:I have searched and searched, tried several different remotes and I cannot get them working under Linux is there a guide I missed? I am attempting to setup a mediagate gp-ir02bk any guidance in this matter would be appreciated.

I can tell you it works..same one I use. You don't mention what operating system you're using....big difference. If you're on Ubuntu 10.10 try burning a XBMC Live CD to see if the remote works.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Sorry, forgot to mention this is for the latest XBMC dharma 10.0 live CD install
silencery Wrote:Sorry, forgot to mention this is for the latest XBMC dharma 10.0 live CD install

I'll try to burn the new LiveCD and see if mine works...I've got Mythbuntu 10.04 installed which does all the lirc stuff a bit differently.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
that would be awesome. I'm also planning on trying older versions of the xbmc live disc to see if I can trace the issue. I've read people have had success with dharma beta 3.
I have that exact same remote and it's always just worked out of the box for me no special configuration required. Currently running a fresh install of XMBC Live Dharma.
No kidding... how odd...

Was it the Mediagate version or the AVS Gear model? I know this is a pretty generic model that's often rebranded (Noah Company, Mediagate, AnyWare, AVS Gear is what i've seen so far).
Tonight I tried both Dharma beta 2 and 3 live across 2 different computers unfortunately with the same results. I've ruled out hardware since the remote is verified to work in Windows.

I guess the next step is to try and compile the latest LIRC from the GIT repository to see if that changes anything. Running out of ideas...
I use this remote just fine. In Ubuntu 10.10, the latest lirc was already up to date.

On 9.04 my buddy who had the same remote but it came with a different dongle needed to get lirc source and compile. This might be the problem. People using the same oem remote but it gets bundled with different ir dongle.

However, the error I had when first setting up my 10.10 (same as silencery) was from not picking the correct remote in the setup and I couldn't just apt remove and re-install to fix it. I had to do I think sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source to get the menu up and select the correct things.
@tyche. Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, makes sense if they're shipping different IR dongles. That might explain the mixed results people are reporting online:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1084843
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68865
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=76292

I'll see if i can post a picture of the one i've got at home for comparison.

If I really can't get it working, i might have to go the windows route (which i'm hoping to avoid; live is much better!).
Finally got this working with help from this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=672818&postcount=4 (Thanks rbrohman!!)

Basically, to get LIRC working with this remote, it involves adding the receiver's ID to the LIRC source. This can be verified by running lsusb and checking the device ID.

lsusb yielded the following results for me:

Device 003: ID 1784:0011 TopSeed Technology Corp.

Topseed (the OEM) peripherals are already registered in the LIRC source, but this specific dongle (ID 0011) is not.

This would have to be verified, but from what I can tell, it looks like a small batch of these generic remotes would need this patch since many users report having no problems. It may vary based on production date. If it helps anyone, this remote/receiver is rebranded and sold under the following brands and model #s:

GP-IR02BK
Rosewill Remote control/Rcvr RRC-127 for Win 7
AVS Gear (the one I've tested against)
Mediagate
Anyware
Noah Company
GP Batteries MediaGate
Victory MCE Remote Control

HA-IR01SV
Same companies as above
silencery Wrote:Finally got this working with help from this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=672818&postcount=4 (Thanks rbrohman!!)

Basically, to get LIRC working with this remote, it involves adding the receiver's ID to the LIRC source. This can be verified by running lsusb and checking the device ID.

lsusb yielded the following results for me:

Device 003: ID 1784:0011 TopSeed Technology Corp.

Topseed (the OEM) peripherals are already registered in the LIRC source, but this specific dongle (ID 0011) is not.

This would have to be verified, but from what I can tell, it looks like a small batch of these generic remotes would need this patch since many users report having no problems. It may vary based on production date. If it helps anyone, this remote/receiver is rebranded and sold under the following brands and model #s:

GP-IR02BK
Rosewill Remote control/Rcvr RRC-127 for Win 7
AVS Gear (the one I've tested against)
Mediagate
Anyware
Noah Company
GP Batteries MediaGate
Victory MCE Remote Control

HA-IR01SV
Same companies as above

I have this remote and I'm following the steps to add the TopSeed device. Trying to back up my lirc_mceusb.c file but I'm getting permission denied errors saying I can't create file. How would I get around this? I'm total noob when working with linus, I don't know linux command lines very well, what commands do I use to get into editor to edit the file once I am able to get permissions to write and edit? Any help would be great.

Any help would be great.
japhule Wrote:I have this remote and I'm following the steps to add the TopSeed device. Trying to back up my lirc_mceusb.c file but I'm getting permission denied errors saying I can't create file. How would I get around this? I'm total noob when working with linus, I don't know linux command lines very well, what commands do I use to get into editor to edit the file once I am able to get permissions to write and edit? Any help would be great.

Any help would be great.

OK i figured it out. In order to get root access and make copies and edit I had to

Code:
sudo su

and entered in password. Then I was able to edit by

Code:
vi lirc_mceusb.c

It took me awhile to figure out how to properly make edits. Key things to remember for me was to press INSERT in order to write to a line. I added my device following directions from the link.

Code:
:w!

allowed me to write changes to the file

Code:
:q

allowed me to exit.

Code:
sudo dkms remove -m lirc -v 0.8.6 --all
sudo dkms add -m lirc -v 0.8.6
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 build
sudo dkms -m lirc -v 0.8.6 install
sudo rmmod lirc_mceusb
sudo rmmod lirc_dev
sudo modprobe lirc_mceusb
sudo modprobe lirc_dev
sudo /etc/init.d/lirc restart

And then I was good to go.
@japhule yup, you need root access to edit most files. Sudo is the right way to go.

If you're new to linux, you actually don't need to use vi as a file editor; it can be a bit daunting for new users. Next time, try "nano" instead. It's built into ubuntu and more similar to conventional text editors. The commands are a bit more simple.

Glad to hear it worked!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] How do I get MediaGate MCE Remote working?0