1080p capable Nettop?
I have been running XBMC on my desktop, but im looking at getting a new, dedicated nettop running XBMC.

Here are things that I need:
  • Windows 7
  • 1080p capabilities
  • Under $400 if possible
  • Nettop
  • HDMI w/ audio

I'm not gonna be too big on emulators, so this is strictly for TV Shows/Movies. Hard drive space would be nice, but I am going to set up networked drives from my desktop.

Anything else I'm missing?
Any dual core ION system can do that. Like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product

Acer Revo 3610.

Yes its been around ages, but it does everything you want, and is a bargain. I love mine, XBMC Live or Win 7... If its just for watching movies / TV content, forget windows, run Live, then you get the 'set top box' feel, rather than a PC stuffed behind the TV.

Big Grin
so as long as I keep it dual core, it should work? I have one of the first gen, single core atom CPU's in my netbook, and its pretty sluggish.

Edit: I really wanna keep win7 on it, as it gives me a lot of flexibility, like having hulu desktop. Also, Windows is the most bloated option out there, so if the system can run smootly on windows, then it can run smoothly if I do decide to switch to the Live CD, or Linux.
Being dual core and having 2GB of ram help a lot.

what about these two options

Zotac MAG HD-ND01

Shuttle XS35GT
Yep, you can even install Live to an SD card, which is near as damn it invisible when loaded. This way, if you feel like having it on XBMC Live, just push in the SD card and reboot, so it reboots into Live (Change boot order in bios). You really should get 2Gb ram so you can give 512Mb to GPU to play 1080p flawlessly. It can be done with less, but for a few $$ why skimp.

Hulu looks great, damn yanks, so much online content available to you! Rolleyes

My isp traffic shapes the hell out of me, iPlayer/4od/demand5 (UK TV streams) only work well during my uncapped hours (Midnight to 8am) so really not worth using it in peak times.
morkon Wrote:what about these two options

Zotac MAG HD-ND01

Shuttle XS35GT

Even better. Those are great HTPCs. Of the two right now the Shuttle is considered the "in" box because its fanless.

It also seems to have 2GB ram included, as well as half a terabyte of hdd space, AND a dvd player. Thats really appealing to me. It shouldn't be too hard to add say...a Blue ray drive, somewhere down the road, would it? It has HDMI, so I would imagine its HDCP compliant.
http://www.xbmcboxes.com/
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I run XBMC on 4 different PC's three of them are Atom Nettops.

One is a Mac Mini 2010 aluminum. (my nicest XBMX PC now that 10.0 is out. Definitely not a nettop though. I hardly ever used it before 10.0. That, and i honestly hate Apple as a company)

One is the old school Revo 3610. It is still factory config, never opened never modded/upgraded. it is nice small form factor and i have it stuck between my TV and the wall to truly "hide" it.

My other 2 are MSI Wind Barebones with ATI Radeon HD 4330http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167042&cm_re=msi_barebones-_-56-167-042-_-Product

I usually buy the non HDMI versions of this box for Test Servers and NAS boxes. I found the HDMI ones for $120 a few months back and picked up 4 because they were cheaper then non HDMI versions. I decided to test 1 for Win7/XBMC and found out it worked like a champ. It wont run XBMCLive because of the ATI card. The fact i can put a normal DVD/BluRay drive and a 3.5" hard drive is a big plus (something many of us have laying around). In addition it is virtually silent, has a GB NIC and is smaller then an Xbox 360. I ended up putting 1 on each of the remaining PC's in the house.

It is also a good starter HTPC because of the price you can later pop 2 Large green HDD's into it and use it for a nas/server when you outgrow it. FreeNAS, Server 2008r2 and WHS all run fine on it.

The cons: NO USB3 or Esata (not that important for xbmc), No XBMC Live (ATI card Maybe it can if you monkey with it, i never bothered).

Of my 200+ 1080P MKV BluRay rips, about 5 are green. I believe that was because i encoded those interlaced.
Ex-Box Wrote:Of my 200+ 1080P MKV BluRay rips, about 5 are green. I believe that was because i encoded those interlaced.

You ran into the infamous DXVA AMD decoding bug there. Or as I call it: "The reason I advise people to buy Nvidia in almost every situation."

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1080p capable Nettop?0