0-day network attached storage sale 1tb 69.99
The unit transfers data pretty slow. It moves at about 28Mbps when connected across 2 routers, or 48Mbps when direct connected. To transfer my movie collection of 750GB, that would have taken nearly 2 full days of uninterrupted transfer.

Now, the user manual says there are no user servicable parts inside, but it does not take an A+ certification to remove and replace a hard disk. I pulled it out of the NAS and dropped it into my Linux box for a transfer rate of 480mpbs or 60MB/s That's more of the speed I was hoping for out of this unit. However, it looks like it's impossible over the network.

So, Now I'm still trying to get the root Samba share to mount on my computer... I can browse to it, but I cannot mount it for some reason. I can mount subdirectories, however I cannot mount the main IP share. It's either a problem with the Ubuntu implementation of Samba, or a problem with the NAS
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
I was just reviewing this thread and I never responded...

darkscout: I was able to remove all vulnerabilities from my XBMC machine. It's possible. I came up with about 30 low risk voulnerabilities +1 (default password xbmc) on my XBMC machine. None are worth the time of trying to correct, or even considerable.

However, the root folder of this NAS cannot be protected. I have tried but folder names are available to guest. Guest cannot be deleted. Guest is a real vulnerability on any system.

I've been trying to get the root samba share to mount on Linux. I can map the NAS as a network drive on Windows, but the NAS won't mount as a share with CIFS or smbfs. I can browse to the drive, but I'm left with only a single option to mount each Samba share individually rather then mount the entire NAS.

Another problem with this unit is the web-admin administrator password can be nulled out by holding the button on the back of the NAS for 5 seconds. This means no matter what, it's still insecure. A single press of the button on the back of the NAS resets security to nothing. Not even a default password... Just no login, no password. Personally, I think this is rediculous.

I'm not saying it's not worth $79 for a 1tb drive, but I wouldn't pay any more then that. They are selling it for $150 other places. Luckily the firmware is upgradable. I'm going to send an email.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Sorry to bump an older thread, but I was planning on picking two of these up next month and am trying to do my homework beforehand. I can get them for $99 each at Tigerdirect and plan to set up one for myself at home and another for my parents and use mine as a portable to move files back and forth between the two.

The idea is to have my Dad's iPad2 and iPhone plus my Mom's desktop and laptop plus the family media box running XBMC access all the files off of the NAS. Most of the hardware will be running either iOS (the iDevices) or Windows. My stuff at home runs a mix of Linux and WinXP.

Will these be a good fit for us? Have you seen anything new about them or found if it makes sense to install some custom version of Linux rather than depending on the borked OEM software? Also what have you found about the random deletion of all files bug which many people seem to be reporting on the iomega forums?

Thanks for your reply and for doing such exhaustive reviewing on this for the rest of us!

--bornagainpenguin
Sure, it would be a good fit, but I would be weary as there is no security on the unit. There has not been a firmware update since my last post.

It works with XBMC over samba
It works with Windows over samba
It should work with iTunes over the proprietary apple format

The only problem I have is that under Linux (maybe mac as well), you cannot just mount your NAS on the network and browse to all of it's folders. You have to mount each individual folder on it's root dir to gain access to them.

The only issue I have is that there is no real security on this unit. Like I said before, it has weak security to start with, which can be bypassed by pressing a button.

I have found a use for the FTP server. I wouldn't use their default web server... I don't trust it. Instead, I assigned static IPs and routed port 21 to my NAS. My router is hooked up to my own personal (free) dyndns.org website and it allows me to give my friends access to an open FTP server when they need files.

The other day I took a bunch of pictures of my friend's wedding on my Android phone, zipped them up, uploaded to my ftp server, and sent him an email link to use on his Mac computer within 30 minutes of his wedding.

So yeah... It's a good unit.... Compatible with everything... No security.
outleradam Wrote:Sure, it would be a good fit, but I would be wary as there is no security on the unit. There has not been a firmware update since my last post.

That's too bad. The price has also gone up by at least three to five bucks which makes it less attractive albeit still the cheapest available option. Would be happier if there was some information about fixing the file deletion bug so many people complain about at newegg.

outleradam Wrote:It works with XBMC over samba
It works with Windows over samba
It should work with iTunes over the proprietary apple format

That's good. I'm really hoping to be able to take advantage of the iTunes serving aspect for my Dad's iPad. He's buying his himself so it really needs to pull its own weight so he doesn't feel like he wasted his money.

outleradam Wrote:The only problem I have is that under Linux (maybe mac as well), you cannot just mount your NAS on the network and browse to all of it's folders. You have to mount each individual folder on it's root dir to gain access to them.

Uh...not so good that piece of information. Does this present difficulties when trying to stream from a Linux XBMC box? I'm hoping to replace the re-purposed P4 WinXP box with something sleeker running one of the XBMCFreak builds as soon as he replaces the TV with something better...this could present a problem...

outleradam Wrote:The only issue I have is that there is no real security on this unit. Like I said before, it has weak security to start with, which can be bypassed by pressing a button.

I'm not thrilled about that but can live with it so long as it serves the files I need served and otherwise gets out of the way. Still the next bit you posted has me curious...

outleradam Wrote:I have found a use for the FTP server. I wouldn't use their default web server... I don't trust it. Instead, I assigned static IPs and routed port 21 to my NAS. My router is hooked up to my own personal (free) dyndns.org website and it allows me to give my friends access to an open FTP server when they need files.

The other day I took a bunch of pictures of my friend's wedding on my Android phone, zipped them up, uploaded to my ftp server, and sent him an email link to use on his Mac computer within 30 minutes of his wedding.

How does doing this type of thing line up with the lack of security? Also could you possibly link to a HOWTO describing how to do this sort of thing? I'm speculating it might be a way to mirror the two drives across the internet and keep them in sync with each other...

Also that they'd be useful for family photos, like you described.

outleradam Wrote:So yeah... It's a good unit.... Compatible with everything... No security.

Thanks for the post! I always prefer to hear from someone who is doing the same kind of thing I intend to do rather than someone at a retail site who could just be a corporate shill doing astroturfing.

--bornagainpenguin

EDIT: Okay, Tigerdirect.com is screwing with me. I just checked the page again and the price has gone back down to $99.00 again. Maybe someone there saw this thread somehow? Wink
For streaming, I use SMB. I simply created a /NAS/ folder on my drive and use that for all my storage. The Active Folders folder is mouted separately. What I meant was.. There's 3 folders. I have to mount each folder individually and automatically, rather then just mounting the SMB://IP.Add.res.s I have to mount SMB://IP.Add.res.s/NAS and /Active Folders and the others. Using the fstab it is automatic. Using Mac (i just tried it on my virtual machine), It is 3 separate check boxes in "connect to server". Under windows, I can just mount the entire IP address.

As for the web server...
Basically, when you turn the unit on and go to the web interface, there's an option to connect it to the internet. So, because of the lack of security on the unit, I don't trust it.

This is a bit off topic, but here's my solution.. Be prepared, because this will be a short class in networking.
1. set up a free account with dyndns.org
we will call it: (my personal site).dyndns.org, but it could be myxbmc.dyndns.org
This allows you to reference your home IP address by simply typing (my personal site).dyndns.org
2. set up router to connect to (my personal site).dyndns.org. This way dyndns.org knows your IP address at all times.
3. set up the FTP on your NAS.
4. set up static IPs on your router so your NAS is 192.168.1.100
5. set up port forwarding on your router so all incomming port 21 requests go to 192.168.1.100
6. Access ftp://(my personal site).dyndns.org from anywhere and you will be able to access your FTP server...

You can repeat steps 4 - 6 for each new service you wish to add to different IP addresses. Here's some of the services I run sometimes.. It's helpful to know these ports.

FTP port 21
SSH/SFTP port 22
Windows Remote Desktop port 3489
VNC (Linux remote desktop) port 5901

I use obfuscation as well:
for example
(my personal site).dyndns.org:9388 is actually routed at my router as 192.168.1.101:22
(my personal site).dyndns.org:5540 is actually routed at my router as 192.168.1.130:5901

when I want to connect to my desktop I ssh to (my personal site).dyndns.org:4832. Then I log in with a secure password. Then type x11vnc to enable VNC. Then I VNC into (my personal site).dyndns.org:9283 and I have access to my desktop where I can open the web admin for my router and make administrative changes.

Just as a note, I pulled my port numbers out of nowhere, because I'm not giving that information away.

Long story short:
When i want to copy files from my phone to my FTP site, I use an Android app called Astro which lets me copy and paste from one folder to my secure SFTP site. My phone has all the addresses, ports, folders, usernames and passwords set up. I put my phone back into my pocket and wait. Then I give my friends the unsecured FTP address where they can access the files I transferred earlier.

I don't always transfer to my FTP site, sometimes I transfer a PDF to my desktop folder so I can read it later. However, this NAS allows me to have a unsecure FTP site, or separate storage on my home network when I need it.
Thanks for the networking course. I'll have to look into getting the Astro app for my LG Optimus.

Could you tell me what in your experience is the best (fastest) way to copy files over to the NAS? Would trying to do stuff from a ftp client speed up the file transfer? It just seems to take an incredibly long time to copy stuff over.

A friend on another forum with a Netgear SC101 said something about plugging the drive into the computer's ethernet port and trying to copy files over, but I think the Netgear he has is using a different protocol so it wouldn't work with the Iomega. Thoughts?

--bornagainpenguin
it would be 2x faster. For my initial load, I removed the drive from it's housing and put it into my computer.... "no user serviceable components" my rear end. The speed was 20x faster then my standard setup PC---Router---Another Router----NAS. I did this because I wanted to see what was on the drive.

Here is an earlier post I made
Quote: The unit transfers data pretty slow. It moves at about 28Mbps when connected across 2 routers, or 48Mbps when direct connected. To transfer my movie collection of 750GB, that would have taken nearly 2 full days of uninterrupted transfer.

Now, the user manual says there are no user servicable parts inside, but it does not take an A+ certification to remove and replace a hard disk. I pulled it out of the NAS and dropped it into my Linux box for a transfer rate of 480mpbs or 60MB/s That's more of the speed I was hoping for out of this unit. However, it looks like it's impossible over the network.
If you do remove the drive, you'll need a linux computer to load it up.

I use samba for normal file transfer.

There are no protocols other then samba, http and ftp. There is no router that would be incompatible with this device. That would be a pretty fishy router. It's likely he configured it improperly.
outleradam Wrote:it would be 2x faster. For my initial load, I removed the drive from it's housing and put it into my computer.... "no user serviceable components" my rear end.

Yeah well I'd really rather avoid opening the drive up at this point, somehow I don't think my warranty would be valid if I did...

I am able to use FileZilla to transfer files and noticed an incredible speed increase while copying my files over, but for some reason it insists on copying to the Active Folder named "Public" and not allowing me to direct the copying to the user created folder I made called television.

Is there an easy to do this or am I just screwed and having to make the choice between cracking open the case or taking my sweet time copying the files over?

--bornagainpenguin

UPDATE I tried plugging in the drive manually to the ethernet port of the computer I have most of my files on and it started playing ball. I don't know why it didn't work the first time...Maybe I just didn't wait long enough?
So it's all working now? Or did you have another question?
... over a year and a half later..

Quote:Important Security Information

Security Risk Summary: Your Iomega network storage device may be at risk of being accessed by an unauthorized user if your device is visible from the Internet (for example because "remote access" is on) if you have not restricted access privileges for each of your content folders ("Shares"). Enabling the administrative security feature on the device and creating an administrator user does not by itself protect your device because it does not automatically change access privileges for existing Shares. Certain folders on your device allow access to "Everyone" if you have left the default setting as "Everyone" rather than changing to restricted access, or if you have enabled Media Sharing for the Share. Thus, for devices visible from the Internet, you must also manually restrict user access privileges for each Share (each content folder) you want protected. Iomega has issued this Security Information to elaborate on end-user instructions previously provided, and emphasize the steps necessary to help secure user content according to the desired level of access.

Security Risk Details: All Iomega network storage devices ship with settings that allow files to be shared on the customer's network. The device ships that way in order to provide a simple setup experience for users in a home or local network environment. In a properly configured network, the network router blocks unauthorized access to the network from the Internet. On such a network, unless a remote access feature (for example, Remote Access, Personal Cloud, or Media Server) has been enabled on the Iomega device, or the user manually configures their router to port forward Internet traffic to it, the Iomega device should not be accessible, nor should it be visible from the Internet.

Your device becomes visible via the Internet if, for example: (a) there?s no firewall/router between the device and the Internet, (b) the remote access feature on the device is activated, or © UPnP (auto-forwarding) is engaged on the router and Personal Cloud or Media Server is enabled. If your device is visible from the Internet, and if you do not desire public access to content, and if you have not already confirmed that you have the access restrictions for each folder exactly limited as you would like, then we strongly recommend that you take the steps described below to protect it from unauthorized users.

NOTE: You need to take these steps even if you enabled the security feature on the device and created an administrator user1 because existing Shares may be set up to designate access to "Everyone" unless you list specific, more limited access; you need both security enabled, and the access to list whatever you intend (don?t list access to everyone unless you desire access for everyone). So for each folder, please be sure that your access restrictions are the restrictions you desire.

How to Avoid the Risk: As a general practice, whether you use the Iomega device or not, it is highly recommended to properly configure your home/local network to ensure that your devices and data on the network are not visible from the Internet. Resources such as www.staysafeonline.org/stay-safe-online/keep-a-clean-machine/securing-your-home-network provide information on how to secure home networks.

To protect the content on your Iomega device from unauthorized access, including when your Iomega device is visible from the Internet (because of the network configuration or if a remote access feature is enabled on the device), you must be sure you (or your device administrator) follow ALL of these steps:

Check to ensure your device is running the latest firmware by comparing the version on your device with the Firmware Version page posted for your device on www.iomega.com/support. If you need to update your firmware, follow the instructions provided on the Firmware Version page. See the Update Firmware section below for additional information.

Enable the administrative security feature on the device (referred to by the software as "Enable Security") and create an administrator user. Detailed instructions for this are available on www.iomega.com/support and in the web management interface help available on your device. If your device is running firmware version 3.2.3 or above, you can access instructions using the following link: https://iomega-na-en.custhelp.com/app/an...a_id/26392

?NOTE: This step alone will not secure data in the Shares. It will only secure the device?s administrative options.

Set up the users or groups you want to grant access to all or part of the content on your device.

For each Share that you want to restrict access to: (a) uncheck the "Media sharing" option if it is appears in the Share information; (b) remove the checkmarks for access by user "Everyone"; © add the appropriate users and/or groups; and, (d) select the desired privileges associated with each such user/group.

NOTE: Any Share marked for read or read/write access by user "Everyone", or any Share with Media Sharing checked2, is accessible by anyone who has access to your network, including via the Internet if you are using remote access and/or Personal Cloud3.

You can refer to any of the following sources for additional information on how to Enable Security and change user access settings for device Shares:

Help files available from the device's web management interface
The user's guide for your device (available to view or download from www.iomega.com/support)
Web support for your device - go to www.iomega.com/support, select your device, and search for "security" or "managing shares"
If you encounter any difficulties while making the changes described above, or have questions regarding this security notice, contact Iomega technical support. For contact information, go to www.iomega.com/support and select Contact NAS Support.

Firmware Update:
If you have not already updated the firmware on your Iomega device to the most recent version, Iomega strongly recommends that you upgrade as soon as possible. The latest firmware version for your device includes an important security update that resolves a (different) potential remote access vulnerability. For additional information, review the ReadMe.txt file included with that update.

To download and install updated firmware, go to www.iomega.com/support and select your Iomega product. Select an operating system if requested. Select the Firmware Version page under "Download Software & Drivers".

NOTE: If the support section for your product does not have a Firmware Version page, your device is running the latest firmware version. Again, even with the latest firmware version, you should be sure that your "access permissions" are exactly what you desire.

Thank you,
Iomega Technical Support

1When you enable the security

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
0-day network attached storage sale 1tb 69.990