• 3(current)
MKV Optimizer - Save disk space by eliminating unneeded audio tracks
Try the new beta 1.12 I just updated.

If it's still not working, click the View MKV Info button and post the details of one of the files.
Still the same.

http://pastebin.com/zumC8ctE
Amelandbor Wrote:Still the same.

http://pastebin.com/zumC8ctE

ahh... that is the problem. What language is that? I'm guessing german...

I will need to add translation for other languages. I'll get started on that for the next release.
Dutch
compcentral Wrote:It really depends on the length of the film and the encoded bitrate, but for each DTS track removed, I gained about 1-1.5 GB, and about half that for AC3 tracks.

It takes about 10-15 minutes to process each movie for me (using the server listed in my signature), but this depends on CPU/RAM of your PC... maybe even hard drive specs as well.

EDIT: I was curious... so I did the math...

Most DTS tracks seem to use a bitrate of around 1500 Kbps, so assuming the movie is say 100 minutes long:

1500 Kilobits/sec * 1024 bits/Kb = 1536000 bits/sec
1536000 bits/sec / 8 bits/byte = 192000 bytes/sec
192000 bytes/sec / 1024 bytes/KB = 187.5 KiloBytes/sec
187.5 KiloBytes/sec * 60 sec/min = 11250 KB/min
11250 KB/min / 1024 KB/MB = 10.98 MB/min
10.98 MB/min * 100 minutes = 1098 MB saved for 100 minute movie

Most AC3 tracks seem to use a bitrate of around 640 Kbps, so again, assuming the movie is say 100 minutes long:

640 Kilobits/sec * 1024 bits/Kb = 655360 bits/sec
655360 bits/sec / 8 bits/byte = 81920 bytes/sec
81920 bytes/sec / 1024 bytes/KB = 80 KiloBytes/sec
80 KiloBytes/sec * 60 sec/min = 4800 KB/min
4800 KB/min / 1024 KB/MB = 4.69 MB/min
4.69 MB/min * 100 minutes = 469 MB saved for 100min movie

Hopefully that's right... I broke it down in its simplest form so you see how it's fully calculated.

Great! If it takes that long to save that much space, deffo worth the effort. Will give your tool a go when I start running low on space! Smile
OpenElec / Silverstone LC17 / 6TB / Toshiba 32WLT68

Get your freshly squeezed recipes, news and views at foodforfriendsyeah.co.uk!
Here are the mkv header strings that I will need translated into other languages if anyone else wants to help...

I took at crack at the dutch versions based on your pastebin.

track type: audio (dutch = spoor type: audio)
track type: subtitles (dutch = spoor type: subtitles
track type: video (dutch = spoor type: video)
track type: chapter (dutch = spoor type: chapter)
enabled (?)
default flag (?)
forced flag (?)
codec id (appears to remain "codec id")
language (?)
sampling frequency (dutch = voorbeeld frequentie)
channels (dutch = sporen)

I need help with the rest.... could you look at a few MKV Infos to fill in the blanks for me?
Here are the dutch translations:

track type: audio - spoor type: audio
track type: subtitles - spoor type: subtitles
track type: video - spoor type: video

track type: chapter (?) Couldn't find this one. Chapters is mentioned below as "Hoofdstukken" but when I look further into it, everything is named Chapter (ChapterAtom, ChapterUID etc.)

enabled - aangezet
default flag - standaard markering
forced flag - geforceerde markering
codec id - codec id
language - taal
sampling frequency - voorbeeld frequentie
channels - sporen

Edit: I tried setting mmg to English, but then I still get question marks while when I open a file mkvinfo everything is in English.
Okay... I think I might have found a way to have mkvinfo translate the output into english no matter what the language of the local computer is.

Give beta 1.13 a try and let me know how it works.
It works.

Nice work Cool
Still some weird things though.

MKVinfo gives no default flag on some of them, but when I look at them in mkvmerge a default flag is set.
Amelandbor Wrote:It works.
Nice work Cool

Sweet! If it works for you, it should work for any language now.

Amelandbor Wrote:Still some weird things though.
MKVinfo gives no default flag on some of them, but when I look at them in mkvmerge a default flag is set.

Hmm... I noticed similar things as well, but just for certain files. So far, I think the problem is actually either the file or mkvinfo... Either that or mkvMerge is setting the default flag another way.
Any other testers out there have any comments, questions, suggestions?
I have just seen this and give it ago, love it!!! The only thing which you could try to improve is the automation of some of the muxing but not sure how possible this is.

Oh and the other thing that is a little annoying but again trivial is the output file is named with an appended (1).mkv. If you dont manually delete the old files and rename the new one then xbmc will pick this up as another movie...

All in all though mate, very impressed and my the main benifit for me is to change the default lang to english!! thankyou!!!Big Grin
Nice tool, really useful as I have some movies with japanse or chinese audio tracks and as I don't understand a single word of those languages there's no need to have them take up disk space Wink

There are two things I've noticed:
- If I choose an external harddisk to scan I always get an exception because your tool can't access the hidden "System Volume Information" folder (which is alright) and I get an Access Denied exception. The tool doesn't crash but it doesn't continue scanning either so all movies with titles coming after "System Volume Information" in the alphabet are not scanned. Maybe a simple exception handling to skip directories throwing an access denied exception could solve this.
- Am I too stupid or can I only ignore one file at a time? It is already possible to select multiple entries in the list so it should be pretty easy to loop through all the selected entries instead of only the first one and make it possible to ignore all the currently selected movie files.

Thanks for this.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Thanks to everyone for the kind words. I was hoping others would find this app useful and I'm glad you have. I'm going to give automation a try in the future, but that could prove to be a fairly large undertaking.

Montellese Wrote:There are two things I've noticed:
- If I choose an external harddisk to scan I always get an exception because your tool can't access the hidden "System Volume Information" folder (which is alright) and I get an Access Denied exception. The tool doesn't crash but it doesn't continue scanning either so all movies with titles coming after "System Volume Information" in the alphabet are not scanned. Maybe a simple exception handling to skip directories throwing an access denied exception could solve this.
- Am I too stupid or can I only ignore one file at a time? It is already possible to select multiple entries in the list so it should be pretty easy to loop through all the selected entries instead of only the first one and make it possible to ignore all the currently selected movie files.

Both are awesome suggestions and will be fixed in the next release. These are the kinds of helpful comments that I was looking for. Thanks and keep them coming.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV Optimizer - Save disk space by eliminating unneeded audio tracks4