[Apple Tv] Crystalbuntu - Extend /
So one problem I keep running into is that the Crystalbuntu usb image is made in a way where the partition of / is 3GB

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb2 3.0G 2.5G 429M 86% /

So if I download and install a bunch of let's say Aeon mods, I start using space like crazy.

I download a lot of skins and since right now / is the only filesystem in rw mode, it fills up pretty fast.

Normally, I'd use lvm to extend the filesystem after adding another partition to the volume group, but since Ubuntu is setup differently than Fedora/Red Hat I'm trying to brianstorm some different solutions.

Since the xbmc skins folder is at:

/home/xbmc/.xbmc/skins I was thinking about doing a soft link from that folder to a new parition that I was going to make from the rest of my usb's unused space.

Has anyone attempted creating a new partition on their usb disk which utilizes the rest of the space then adding it in? (and of course updating fstab)
Had the same problem, then I realized I didn't care, need or even want the ATV OS part of it anymore. So I followed the instructions here

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86108

And it is working fantastically without the need for USB drive. So thats always an option
Or you could follow those instructions starting at "Install patched parted", and using /dev/sdb to alter your flash drive. Make sure you don't alter (or indeed wipe) sda - that's you internal drive.

Personally I scrubbed the internal drive and put XBMC into that - it's faster that way, and when it needs to swap it's a lot smoother.
Yeah, I agree putting it on the internal drive is the way to go.

I ended up losing some inodes on my usb stick from the "pull the plug" method we have to do with the apple tv. Unfortunatly, on the next bootup, fsck didn't run properly and dropped me into a shell.

I tried fsck on another linux machine to see if i could force the partition to be fixed, but it didn't work.

So, I'll have a look at the script to install everything to the hard drive.

Code:
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary ext3 236m 38.9GB
sudo cp /dev/sdb3 /dev/sda3
sudo parted -s /dev/sda mkpart primary linux-swap 38.9GB 40.0GB
sudo cp /dev/sdb4 /dev/sda4
sudo e2fsck -f /dev/sda3
sudo resize2fs /dev/sda3
sudo tune2fs -j /dev/sda3
reboot

So it looks like it just formats /dev/sda to be /dev/sda1 @ 38.9GB so my / will be 38.9 GB. Sounds good.

So even if I scew up, I can always just re-create the usb drive, then dd my /dev/sda and try again.

I'll give it a try this weekend. Thanks for the advice!

On a side note, have you experienced any fsck errors after you install to /dev/sda? Since we can't shutdown cleanly I wonder if there is a better way to avoid any corruption.
You can shut down, semi-cleanly, by performing it through an SSH session or reboot that way. I'm very wary about pulling power because of disk corruption. It's a hassle, but since there's no ACPI on the ATV, it's about the safest method around.
In the Linux XBMC images you can choose to shutdown the machine through the shutdown menu. When it says "System Halted" you can kill the power safely, because by that time it's unmounted all the drives.
pumkinut and defiler,

I just installed it to the hard drive and everything is working great!! Thanks alot for your advice. The guide worked perfectly step by step.
I installed to the internal HDD yesterday, while keeping the ATV OS in place. So when I have the ATV Bootdisk thumbdrive inserted, it boots to Crystalbuntu, when the thumbdrive is absent it boots to the ATV OS. It's not bad. I've noticed the ATV is a little snappier with Ubuntu/XBMC installed to the HDD.

I'm using a powered USB hub that's attached to the back of my entertainment center with velcro and the USB cable is just routed through with the rest of the cables. This allows me to attach a bluetooth USB dongle and a keyboard should I ever want to do some local work i.e. adding sources without having to use the god-awful apple remote keyboard interface. I'm sure I'll find something else to mess with as well. Big Grin

One question I have for everyone is, has anyone gotten a wii remote to work with the ATV/Ubuntu install? I've installed xbmc-eventclients-wiiremote along with bluez-utils and python-bluez. When I execute "xbmc-wiiremote &" the popup indicating that XBMC is waiting for a wii remote appears, but when I press 1+2 on the wiimote, it searches for a pairing device but never finds anything. I'm wondering how to troubleshoot this to possibly get it to work, and could use any assistance I can get.

Some output:
Code:
atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ dmesg | grep Bluetooth
[   56.716186] Bluetooth: Core ver 2.11
[   56.736243] Bluetooth: HCI device and connection manager initialized
[   56.736249] Bluetooth: HCI socket layer initialized
[   56.927981] Bluetooth: HCI USB driver ver 2.9
[   62.346947] Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.9
[   62.346954] Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
[   62.390460] Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized
[   62.390737] Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
[   62.390742] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.8

atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ ps -ef | grep bluetooth
root      4578  4565  0 16:19 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd-service-input
root      4579  4565  0 16:19 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd-service-audio

atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 010: ID 0781:555f SanDisk Corp.
Bus 002 Device 009: ID 0461:4d75 Primax Electronics, Ltd
Bus 002 Device 008: ID 0a5c:4503 Broadcom Corp.
Bus 002 Device 007: ID 0a5c:4502 Broadcom Corp.
Bus 002 Device 006: ID 0a5c:4500 Broadcom Corp.
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:8241 Apple Computer, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ lsmod | grep bluetooth
bluetooth              61028  7 rfcomm,l2cap,hci_usb
Looks like the correct bluetooth modules and processes are loaded, but it seems like a no go.

Edit:
BTW, this USB Bluetooth dongle worked fine when I was using XBMCLive on a thumbdrive on my laptop, so I don't think that's the issues, unless it's a hardware recognition problem between Ubuntu Karmic and Lucid.
You'll probably have better luck starting your own thread.

But I'd compare the keymap.xml file from the XBMC live install with yours on crystalbuntu.

Maybe the keys just arn't mapped yet?
My keymap file will not matter if I can't get the wiimote to even pair with the bluetooth dongle.
I managed to install both images (SAM and PIN87A) on SD-CARD and connected via USB to ATV.

In both cases the images boot, can access the network etc.

However, the crystal HD card is not visible in Video/playback settings.

This is what I get when probing

xbmc@AppleTV:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom
02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 1615

Any ideas? Do I need to install the software manually via SSH ?
Thanks
how do I get the video output via component video to work?

after the boot process (bootloader logo and stuff are shown) theres no more signal via component.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Apple Tv] Crystalbuntu - Extend /0