Can only get HDMI multichannel PCM using speaker-test but not within XBMC
Ok, I followed the HOW TO guide on setting up HDMI audio in GeForce GT2xx and almost got there.

I got the PNY GT220 and on a clean hd installed the following:

Ubuntu 10.10 32-bit
XBMC 10
Aeon65
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.29.run

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf has the following line:

options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2

aplay -l shows:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Running "speaker-test -Dhdmi -c6" works except my left and right rear surround channels are reversed. I also don't hear anything from my sub, but I think that is because the test noise is above the xover for my sub.

When I use the internal test tones of my receiver (Denon 3310) all channels work and play back correctly. Also when the speaker-test is running, the receiver front display shows all 5.1 channels sending data.

In XBMC I have output device and passthrough device set to "HDMI" and I allow AC3 and DTS passthough.

However, when I play back .mkv blu-ray rips (ripped to 5.1 flac) I only get 2 channels. Same for AC3 or DTS DVD rips. Navigation sounds work ok.

I have only played with Ubuntu and XBMC for a week and spend a lot of time reading this forum and ones over at avsforums. I'm coming from windows and mymovies which I have used for years.

Any ideas what I'm missing?

Version numbers:

peter@sunroom:~$ dpkg -l | grep alsa
ii alsa-base 1.0.23+dfsg-1ubuntu4 ALSA driver configuration files
ii alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.4 Utilities for configuring and using ALSA
ii bluez-alsa 4.69-0ubuntu2 Bluetooth audio support
ii gstreamer0.10-alsa 0.10.30-2 GStreamer plugin for ALSA
peter@sunroom:~$ dpkg -l | grep sound
ii gnome-session-canberra 0.25-0ubuntu1 GNOME session log in and log out sound events
ii indicator-sound 0.5.0.1-0ubuntu1 A system sound indicator.
ii libasound2 1.0.23-1ubuntu2.1 shared library for ALSA applications
ii libasound2-plugins 1.0.23-1ubuntu2 ALSA library additional plugins
ii libcanberra-gtk-module 0.25-0ubuntu1 translates Gtk+ widgets signals to event sounds
ii libcanberra-gtk0 0.25-0ubuntu1 Gtk+ helper for playing widget event sounds with libcanberra
ii libcanberra0 0.25-0ubuntu1 a simple abstract interface for playing event sounds
ii libmikmod2 3.1.11-a-6.3 A portable sound library
ii libsoundtouch1c2 1.3.1-2 sound stretching library
ii linux-sound-base 1.0.23+dfsg-1ubuntu4 base package for ALSA and OSS sound systems
ii pulseaudio 1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21.1 PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-esound-compat 1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21.1 PulseAudio ESD compatibility layer
ii pulseaudio-module-bluetooth 1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21.1 Bluetooth module for PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-module-gconf 1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21.1 GConf module for PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-module-x11 1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21.1 X11 module for PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-utils 1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21.1 Command line tools for the PulseAudio sound server
ii ubuntu-sounds 0.12 Ubuntu's GNOME audio theme
peter@sunroom:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-173-modaliases 173.14.28-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-96-modaliases 96.43.18-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-common 0.2.24 Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii nvidia-current-modaliases 260.19.06-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
Update your nvidia driver, 185 or anything over 195 will work.

EDIT: Sorry, that's what i get for skimming posts.

cheers
HTPC 1 : Acer revo R3700 ion2 HTPC 2 :Apple TV2 HTPC 3 : Apple TV2 HTPC4 Acer revo R3700 ion2 Remote : x2 Riimote2
SERVER : 10TB Ubuntu Server 10.04, dual wintv nova hd s2 cards, tvheadend, Newcs, Omnikey reader, White *Sky uk* Card, Mysql Db, Sabnzbdplus, SickBeard, Couchpotato, FlexRaid. :cool:
--------------------------------------------
harryzimm Wrote:Update your nvidia driver, 185 or anything over 195 will work.

EDIT: Sorry, that's what i get for skimming posts.

cheers

I have exactly the same problem (and i've also spent a lot of time on digging through forums). My config is like this:

jos@XBMCLive:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-current 260.19.29-0ubuntu1~xup~lucid4 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and
ii nvidia-current-modaliases 260.19.29-0ubuntu1~xup~lucid4 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii nvidia-settings 260.19.29-0ubuntu1~xup~lucid Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv

Actually ... i have given up. Thinking about switching to W7.
JB, at least you seem to have the prober nvidia drivers running...

So what is the proper procedure for installing the latest nvidia drivers?

I did the following:

sudo vi /etc/default/grub

and changed:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash”

to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash text”

sudo update-grub

Reboot

sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.29.run

Reboot

changed back to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”quiet splash” and sudo update-grub again.

After all that is when I still get the following:

peter@sunroom:~$ dpkg -l | grep nvidia
ii nvidia-173-modaliases 173.14.28-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-96-modaliases 96.43.18-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
ii nvidia-current-modaliases 260.19.06-0ubuntu1 Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org driver
Hi
Have you tried running alsamixer from the command prompt?
You might find the speaker number is set to 2 and the other channels muted.
after a many many reinstall's I have yet to see this set right from default Smile
Wozza
I had to add hdmi as "default" in an asound. Then just told XBMC to use the default.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
After adding "enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xfff2", alsamixer showed a single S/PDIF that is unmuted. Prior to adding the above line to my alsa-base.conf file, I saw 4 S/PDIF channels, the first one being unmuted. Back then I had no sound at all, even after trying to unmute all 4 S/PDIF channels.

I was under the impression that getting alsamixer to show just a single S/PDIF channel is what you want? At least that is the only way I have been able to get any sound at all.

darkscout, how do I "add hdmi as "default" in an acsound"?

Btw, I have also tried using "custom" in XBMC and setting device to "plughw:0,3". That didn't work and I got an error when trying to play video about sound device not being properly configured.

I'm still curious about how to determine that I'm running the latest nvidia drivers (260.19.29) since "dpkg -l | grep nvidia" shows the following:

Thanks!
This is more or less the same problem I have at the moment on my Revo 3610, running 10.04 LTS and latest PPA xbmc.
Sound is working, but I only get PCM 2 channels.
All is connected to my Onkyo TX-NR708, so I see what the source is sending.
On another note, as soon as I enable DTS in the Audio option, no sound at all.
Not sure where to look here really.
I'll give you a pass since I spelled it wrong.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_set_u...C_or_GT240

All the way at the bottom.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Thanks. Laugh

Will check it out when I get off work tonight.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can only get HDMI multichannel PCM using speaker-test but not within XBMC0