[LINUX] Dynamically detect plugging in new joystick / gamepad controllers on Linux?
Hello,
I was wondering if there was a way to trigger XBMC to re-scan for new controllers ?

I have setup XBMC with the correct keymap.xml and if I have my controller plugged in when I start XBMC it will find it and work just fine. If I don't have my controller plugged in and I start XBMC, then I later plug in my controller XBMC will not detect it. The controller gets created with a new /dev/input/eventX device.
Does JSON-RPC or one of the APIs support a Rescan Controllers type event I can call ? Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and create an Event Server ?

Thanks,
Raul
ismell Wrote:Hello,
I was wondering if there was a way to trigger XBMC to re-scan for new controllers ?

I have setup XBMC with the correct keymap.xml and if I have my controller plugged in when I start XBMC it will find it and work just fine. If I don't have my controller plugged in and I start XBMC, then I later plug in my controller XBMC will not detect it. The controller gets created with a new /dev/input/eventX device.
Does JSON-RPC or one of the APIs support a Rescan Controllers type event I can call ? Or am I going to have to bite the bullet and create an Event Server ?

Thanks,
Raul

There is no way currently, ideally it should detect it. Please make a feature request for it and hopefully someone will take a look at it.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks for clearing that up.
I have added a ticket at http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11065.

Looks like I'll just write the event server for now.
I had been working with a BluWave remote that really emulates a PS3 Joystick over USB . I came across this thread and it enlightened me as to this problem, as the BluWave (and others) seem to sleep or turn off the USB dongle after a period of inactivity. They do wake up and reconnect with the next button press.

All the while I thought my config was bad but after understanding that the Joystick must be connected, I fired up XBMC while keeping the remote active by pressing buttons, to find that IT WORKED!

Maybe there is a way I can force Linux to support the joystick remote even when it is not connected (or asleep), and report it as always connected to XBMC?
Hi, sorry for the topic bumping, but this problem still exists (at least under ubuntu 12.10) and i really suffer from it as my bluetooth joysticks are the only way i have to control my XBMC box, and i have to restart XBMC when they disconnect for inactivity. It's really a pain for a media center.

Do any solution appeared since this discussion ?

Thanks in advance
I would like to bump this too. Looking at trac, there used to be a patch that did this (http://trac.xbmc.org/attachment/ticket/5...plug.patch), but it used HAL to do so. As HAL is deprecated, this code is no longer there.

Can someone please re-implement this again?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Dynamically detect plugging in new joystick / gamepad controllers on Linux?0