Dg45fc No sound
Just downloaded the latest dharma release today and installed XBMC live to USB stick. Was running it on Windows but my HD crashed today on me. Hoping live would work temporarily -- Everything works fine except I have no audio! It's coming out of the digital plug on my computer into my receiver.... Was working fine on windows. Live, not so much. Intel Dg45fc mobo.

Volume is up in settings, Audio output is set to Optical/coax, output device is set to default, passthrough device is iec958... What am I doing wrong?

Just as a side note: I am Linux retarded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
eQUIV Wrote:Just downloaded the latest dharma release today and installed XBMC live to USB stick. Was running it on Windows but my HD crashed today on me. Hoping live would work temporarily -- Everything works fine except I have no audio! It's coming out of the digital plug on my computer into my receiver.... Was working fine on windows. Live, not so much. Intel Dg45fc mobo.

Volume is up in settings, Audio output is set to Optical/coax, output device is set to default, passthrough device is iec958... What am I doing wrong?

Just as a side note: I am Linux retarded. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps another retard can help a bit since I have a DG45ID board.
If you don't hear anything then most likely one of the outputs is muted. There's a mixer addon you can install in XBMC which should show if you're muted and allow you to change it. If installed you could also try alsamixer from the terminal. Also did you try changing the device in XBMC from "default"? I had an issue at first where the default was actually analog in the linux setup and I use HDMI so I had to add a asound.conf file in my home directory to change it. I could get sound from applications where I could manually set the audio port but anything that used "Default" I heard nothing.

I assume that aplay is installed in Live so if you open a terminal session try opening a .wav file with it and try different settings. First run aplay -l and you should get something like:
ken@htpc1:~/Music$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]

There is one card "0" and three different outputs - 0 is analog, 1 should be your optical, and 3 is HDMI.

aplay -D hw:0,1 filename.wav
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Thanks, all that stuff about "aplay" is kinda over my head, I don't know where within XBMC I would find that. However I did go into that audio mixer and made sure all levels were up and un-muted. I noticed a few selections showed no volume bar though..

'IEC958',0
'IEC958',1
'Swap Center/LFE',0
'IEC958 Default PCM',0

All have no volume bar.

My System Setting/Audio Output is as follows:

Audio Output > Optical/Coax
Speaker Configuration > 5.1
Boost Volume level on down mix > on
DTS Capable Receiver > on
Audio Outout device > iec958
Passthrough device > iec958

I'm still getting no audio... what else can I try?
eQUIV Wrote:Thanks, all that stuff about "aplay" is kinda over my head, I don't know where within XBMC I would find that. However I did go into that audio mixer and made sure all levels were up and un-muted. I noticed a few selections showed no volume bar though..

'IEC958',0
'IEC958',1
'Swap Center/LFE',0
'IEC958 Default PCM',0

All have no volume bar.

My System Setting/Audio Output is as follows:

Audio Output > Optical/Coax
Speaker Configuration > 5.1
Boost Volume level on down mix > on
DTS Capable Receiver > on
Audio Outout device > iec958
Passthrough device > iec958

I'm still getting no audio... what else can I try?

XBMC Live run on ubuntu unix and aplay is nothing more than a little music player that also shows you your sound setup. Open a terminal using ctl-alt-f2 or f3 (return to xbmc with ctl-alt-f7) and you should have a login prompt. I think the user and password are both xbmc or XBMC..unix is case sensitive. Once at a prompt type "aplay -l" which shows you your sound device. We need to see what device is your digital output. On mine it's card 0 device 2.

Just to get sound working in XBMC you can try setting the following:

Audio Output =Analog
Speaker Config = 2.0
Boost =checked
AC3 = Unchecked
DTS = Unchecked
Audio Output Device = default
Passthrough Device will be grayed out

If the above works it will not be digital but at least it's a starting point. If you don't hear anything then try changing only the Audio Output Device and test on each setting.
Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
Thanks alot for trying to help me. In the end I couldn't get it working, instead I just installed Ubuntu 10.0 to the USB stick, and then installed XBMC within Ubuntu... sound work perfectly!

So I'm not sure what it is, perhaps its missing drivers or something on the XBMC Live build? Who knows.

Well if anyone else has the same board as me and can't get sound going on XBMC Live... sound is likely to work for you on Ubuntu.
eQUIV Wrote:Thanks alot for trying to help me. In the end I couldn't get it working, instead I just installed Ubuntu 10.0 to the USB stick, and then installed XBMC within Ubuntu... sound work perfectly!

So I'm not sure what it is, perhaps its missing drivers or something on the XBMC Live build? Who knows.

Well if anyone else has the same board as me and can't get sound going on XBMC Live... sound is likely to work for you on Ubuntu.

I have the same problem as you, no sound with SPDIF, alsamixer shows unmuted, and no volume bar.

Audio works just fine over HDMI, digital or analogue.

I'm reluctant to install ubuntu 10.10, would rather just install XBMCLive.
Anyone able to solve this?

running XBMC Live 10 DHARMA on a intel DG45FC board. connected via optical SP/DIF to a JVC receiver.
tried almost everything but still no digital audio on my receiver.

In my previous XBMC Live version 9.11 CAMELOT it was working, now after a new install to version 10 it does not work anymore.

Can't remember what I changed in the 9 release to get it working.

here is my current aplay -l

Quote:**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
Subdevices: 0/1
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI 0 [INTEL HDMI 0]

any tips?
can't say i have the same issue exactly, but i've noticed that since i've change from windows to the live cd, my sound seemed to have lost half of it's power. I need to put the system on it's max to obtain a third of the sound i used to hear.

i suppose it has something to do with the xbmc live part as when i connect my iPhone/iPod/hifi on it, sound works just fine.
Raqueem Wrote:can't say i have the same issue exactly, but i've noticed that since i've change from windows to the live cd, my sound seemed to have lost half of it's power. I need to put the system on it's max to obtain a third of the sound i used to hear.

i suppose it has something to do with the xbmc live part as when i connect my iPhone/iPod/hifi on it, sound works just fine.

Never mind this .. my girl just told me she had switched 'some' cable ... No

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dg45fc No sound0