• 2(current)
Option to auto play next video file in list (same as under music)
diagdave, i do know how to use the playlist feature. buts it's just not feasible with the size of my collection. i have about 1000 music clips. thats a big playlist. but the real problem is that i use file view, with artist folders, album folders, then the actual clip is only named as the title of the song. it's pretty hard to know whats what when you've got 1000 music clips on a list, and no idea which artist or album its from. just the track names.

jmarshall, i'll try with adding the vid extensions to the music window, but i dont think it will work as i want it to, considering i use library view for music, and i want to keep clips and tracks separated. i really like the way i have everything setup now, except for the autoplay in videos.

i've seen several threads all asking for autoplay in videos, but so far nothings happened. i do realise that you cant possibly implement everything that people ask for, but i'm wondering if no-ones done this because its difficult to implement. i do know a bit about programming (vb programmer), but not about xdk. to me it seems that if it can be done for music, it shouldnt be hard to copy the basics and manipulate it for videos. maybe its time i got off my ass and acquired xdk so i can start playing with it myself.
yep, best start playing yourself.

it's trivial to implement - the reason it hasn't been done is because for most things you definitely do not want autoplay (movies, and most videos over about 10 minutes).

music videos are the exception - they imo should be treated with music, but the problem as always is the lack of metadata with any video files.

maybe once the videos section is overhaulled (ie post 2.0) this will become easier to do in my videos.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

xbmc can do auto play next item and repeat foloder in music play, but video play can't do it.

can auto play next item and repeat foloder in video play,it's so userful and easy to play movie cd1 and cd2 etc etc.

it's easy and better than stacked mode .

repeat foloder is useful to do a video slideshow.

video auto play next item is easy to xbmc developer but it's so useful.
a lots of mothd to do this , but auto play next item option is the easy way.
Seems like noone is interested in implementing that, although it would be totally easy (was done before in music, basically copy+paste) and although many people here have posted their interest. Useful for Music Vids, for TV Episodes, for multiple discs,... I don't understand it.

For my part I have given up and added the video extensions to music in advanced settings. Had to add an additional folder level in My Music to select "normal" music or music videos...

I hope this "play next video" will be added some day.
What's so hard about pressing WHITE then Play on the folder?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarshall Wrote:What's so hard about pressing WHITE then Play on the folder?

I guess for watching multiple episodes of a TV Show, this way is sufficient. But Music Videos is a different story (IMO).

My music video directory goes like this:
Clips\Artist Name\File Name.

Say for instance you've got a few mates around, having drinks watching clips blah blah blah. The way it is currently, you play a clip, then nothing. You've got to play another clip. There are 2 options for queueing my clips:

1: Queue all: This would create a playlist 1000 items long (in my case). And as my clips are stored on the xbox, and are in artist subdirectories, they are only named by title (because of FATX limitations). So I could queue all and shuffle, but it would be very hard finding a specific clip.

2: Queue artist folders as you go into each: This would mean everytime you decide to go to a different artist, you would have to clear the current playlist, queue the new files, then play. A lot of effort, especially if you only want to watch one clip from a particular artist. You may ask, why would I want to autoplay next items if I only wanted to play one clip from a folder: It's the silence, especially if you're having a 'Get-Together'.

So, queue is not really an option for me. I did try the adding of video extensions to music workaround, but there's a few annoyances with it:
1: It's a pain always switching between library and file view.
2: When you queue an item in my music, it automatically starts playing. Does not do this for videos.

Thanks for listening to my ramblins on autoplay, and I hope somebody decides to implement this as an option in the future.
I didn't say "queue the folder". I said "Play the folder".

That context menu item clears the playlist, queues the folder, and starts playback.

Still not ideal, but better than just using the queue stuff.

@Snoxbox: I totally agree, exactly the same problem / usage here!

If you play the whole folder, then it will start from the beginning or random. Often you want to play one specific song from a folder. If you don't select another one then the next from that folder should be played. So there is no gap. Then you perhaps select another file from another folder...

Also it is not easy to explain friends how to handle the playlist. If they could simply highlight one file and press Select then it would be totally easy for everyone to user the xbox for music vids.

Ah I forgot to say: I also don't like auto-play when adding to playlist. That should be really optional.
When I watch Videos I want the next one to be played automatically, no matter if the name is similar or not and without having to create a playlist. (most players on windows support that).
Playlists and music have this feature already?
What do you think? Or did I miss something?

tin77
Unbeknownst to you and most users, Music's "auto play next item" option uses a playlist in the backgound. Xbmc automatically queues up the contents of the folder and starts playback at the item you selected. (I'm pretty sure its only the immediate folder, and it doesnt recursively traverse sub folders.)

But, a Video auto play option could be added which works the same exact way. I personally think its pointless. For most users, this is not a feature you want enabled all the times. For the very few times I've actually wanted to play an entire folder of videos in a row, I've just used "play" on the folder name. It builds the playlist (recursively so be careful!) and starts playing sequentially (unless you have shuffle enabled in the video now playing window.)
I'd like to be able to go to a folder and start playing a file and then have my xbox continue to play the next file once the current file has finished playing. And so on. I'm not talking about stacking like for movies, I just want it to continue playing files based on the current sort order?

Is this possible?

Thanks
Maintainer of Enigma2 PVR addon: repo, docschangelog
How to create a full debug: here
Context menu (WHITE) on the folder.

Excellent! Thank you!
Maintainer of Enigma2 PVR addon: repo, docschangelog
How to create a full debug: here
I've read on so many forums saying this is a pointless feature to have. But I cannot disagree more.

I have TONs of TV series that I watch and would like to just play one and have it play the next episode. I understand that I can just make a playlist or I can click play on the folder, but WHY bother with the extra step. Also, to those saying that this option is more of a hassle than a benefit because who wants to play the next movie.. but if you have the movies the way I have it set up, it's not an issue. Each movie is in it's own folder so this is not an issue for me. Lastly even if you don't have each movie in each folder.. who cares... it's a lot easier to press STOP, then it is to add each file to a playlist.

So now my explanation to why I don't want to do that step of making a playlist. The main reason is that I use XBMC is for my parents. Now they are computer illiterate and need a real simple interface. It would be much easier for them to go into a folder pick an episode and have it keep playing until they are sick of watching. Being computer illiterate, it's often best to limit the number of keystrokes that need to be enter.

I am a XBMC noob so there maybe a way to hard code a playlist. Mean save a .pls file with all the TV shows. But this again is not convenient. My parents mainly watch Korean TV series using XBMC... and most of the series they watch are on going. Now for me to have to add new episodes every time one airs, it's a hassle as well. I am constantly encoding new episodes of a variety of Korean television series. Plus if my parents are watching episode 57 of 150, pressing play on the folder is just no feasible. It would be much easier just to put them in the appropriate folder and have an option to turn on auto play next file. It would help a lot of people and still won't be intrusive to those who don't want it.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to auto play next video file in list (same as under music)0