[AppleTV2] Noob question about hdd via ethernet
Question 
Ok, so slap me if this is a dumb question - but

If i had an ATV2, connected to a spare router i have via ethernet - and then have have an external hdd connected to the router by USB, will i be able to play those video/audio files??

FTR the router is a D-link DI-624S router with 2 USB connections.

Should work right?
Nerd

THANKS!
D-link doesn't go right out and say it, but from what I gathered from some google searches and discussion archives, the router is using SMB, so yes, it should work.

You can always test this buy using XBMC on your computer and seeing if you are able to add hard drives connected to your router via SMB.
I am in a similar situation. Not the same router, but mine also mounts the USB drive as an SMB share.
From what I read, I believe that the XBMC will work well with this setup. However, I have additional questions that may be far fetched, but I'm curious about it: can I run Transmission on my Apple TV and use the mounted drive to store torrents? What about FTP for external access?

Thanks for your time
At this point, ATV2 only supports what XBMC can offer.
This means, there is no external Torrent, P2P, whatever application available on the ATV2.
I know there is a Torrent client available as an addon in XBMC, but this is running in Python.

As for media sources, only network and local files on the ATV2 are supported.
But local shouldn't be used for this kind of things, as it only has 8GB space.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Noob question about hdd via ethernet0