• 14(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
Ignore I am going to attempt to rejailbreak anyway.
Sad
DN38416 Wrote:Doesn't seem to work for me either unfortunately. I'm connected via HDMI and my receiver is a Denon AVR-590.
I get a loud static noise when I try to play files with 5.1 audio Sad

Happens the same. When I try to enable audio passtrough and connects ATV2 to my new brand home cinema Yamaha YHT-S401, I only get a loud static noise. I have tried both HDMI and Toslink connection. Do I need to change any setting into ATV2's main settings?

Thank you
bitsdisasters Wrote:Sad

Happens the same. When I try to enable audio passtrough and connects ATV2 to my new brand home cinema Yamaha YHT-S401, I only get a loud static noise. I have tried both HDMI and Toslink connection. Do I need to change any setting into ATV2's main settings?

Thank you

FAQ
Thanks but it didn't solve my problems Sad

Hardware & Software specifications:
Apple TV 2 iOS 4.2..1 (2100)
XBMC PRE-11.0 GIT 20111108-B499C47
A/V Receiver Yamaha YHT-S401

I have tried using HMDI & Toslink aswell (with HDMI plugged in to A/V receiver and directly to TV and both connected to receiver) but I get nothing more than static noise or silence (when HDMI was directly to TV and toslink to A/V receiver). And I cannot change any setting about sync in the Yamaha receiver (FAQ tells something about with triggering bitstream from ATV).
It is a bit frustrating because the receiver it supposed to be ready for a lots of sound formats but it lacks of configuration.

It recognizes DD from ATV2 but no AC3 or DTS Sad

Any idea?.
Thank you
bitsdisasters Wrote:Thanks but it didn't solve my problems Sad

Hardware & Software specifications:
Apple TV 2 iOS 4.2..1 (2100)
XBMC PRE-11.0 GIT 20111108-B499C47
A/V Receiver Yamaha YHT-S401

I have tried using HMDI & Toslink aswell (with HDMI plugged in to A/V receiver and directly to TV and both connected to receiver) but I get nothing more than static noise or silence (when HDMI was directly to TV and toslink to A/V receiver). And I cannot change any setting about sync in the Yamaha receiver (FAQ tells something about with triggering bitstream from ATV).
It is a bit frustrating because the receiver it supposed to be ready for a lots of sound formats but it lacks of configuration.

It recognizes DD from ATV2 but no AC3 or DTS Sad

Any idea?.
Thank you

This will get you go:

Apple TV > Settings > Audio & Video > Audio Output and set it to "16 bit"

Its a setting in the AppleTV itself - not XBMC ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hello:

Thank you for your answer but no "Audio Output" setting on my Apple TV 2, most similar is "HDMI Output"; maybe you are talking about Apple TV #1?. I am writing from Spain so I don't know if different versions for each country exist.

Best regards

P. S: I forgot to mention that jailbreak was done using Seas0nPass and Firecore aTV Flash (black) RC1 is installed and updated but XBMC was installed manually and I have updated it yesterday using latest nightly build.
bitsdisasters Wrote:Hello:

Thank you for your answer but no "Audio Output" setting on my Apple TV 2, most similar is "HDMI Output"; maybe you are talking about Apple TV #1?. I am writing from Spain so I don't know if different versions for each country exist.

Best regards

Should be here:

Not working:
In ATV2-Menu I put
DolbyDigital .... ON (tried "Auto" also)
Audio Output ... 16 Bit (tried "Auto" also)
HDMI Output ... Auto, also tried YBbCR (?), RGB high and low

In XBMC -> System -> Options -> System -> Audio-Hardware:
Audio Output ....... Optical/Koaxial
Speaker .............. 5.1
Volume Downmix ... NO (tried YES also)
-Reciever Capable AC3 .... YES
-Reciever Capable DTS .... YES
Audio Output Device ... Default (only option)

HDMI -> TV, Samsung
Optical -> 5.1-Reciever (has no HDMI Input)

No 5.1 at all, just the scratching noise over HDMI. If i select "YbCR" in the ATV2-Settings (HDMI-Output) the noise is gone, but no 5.1 Sad

Xbox1 and my TV-Reciever are outputting 5.1 fine on the same 5.1-Reciever. I think, that the ATV2 dows't send the right signal to my reciever to switch to 5.1 Huh
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
Hi again!

GOT IT! Smile

The main problem was ATV2's firmware that was iOS 4.2 (4.2.1). I had to update to iOS 4.3 based (4.2.2). From now I can see that setting on my ATV2. I have updated using Seas0Pass (set Apple TV into DFU mode before starting the process, otherwise it won't work properly because first time I did, following the instruction I got an error #21).

Then I installed XBMC as usual and update using nightly build and it is fixed for now. So I get this one:

In ATV2 settings:
DolbyDigital .... ON
Audio Output ... 16 Bit
HDMI Output ... Auto

In XBMC -> System -> Options -> System -> Audio-Hardware:
Audio Output ....... Optical/Coaxial
Speaker .............. 7.1
Volume Downmix ... YES
Audio Output Device ... Default

HDMI -> Yamaha YHT-S401 Receiver

It works nicely. Receiver highlights DTS or Dolby Digital input Big Grin

Thank you to you all and I hope this helps to anybody
Hi, my situation is very similar as yours, however, if anybody would help me I'll appreciate it. I've tried to read as much as possible but didn't find the solution.
I can play everything (mp3, stereo, dolby digital 5.1) but I can't play dts even my receiver supports dts/ac3.

My set up:
Apple TV 2, tethered jailbreake 4.4.2, latest night build of XBMC.

Apple TV -> Samsung TV via HDMI
Samsung TV -> Samsung home cinema -> Optical cable

Apple TV settings:
DolbyDigital .... auto (tried on)
Audio Output ... auto (tried 16 Bit)

XBMC settings:
Audio Output ....... HDMI (tried Optical/Coaxial)
Volume Downmix ... YES (No)

Plays everything great but dts movies without sound Sad
jakudo Wrote:Hi, my situation is very similar as yours, however, if anybody would help me I'll appreciate it. I've tried to read as much as possible but didn't find the solution.
I can play everything (mp3, stereo, dolby digital 5.1) but I can't play dts even my receiver supports dts/ac3.

My set up:

Apple TV -> Samsung TV via HDMI
Samsung TV -> Samsung home cinema -> Optical cable

Apple TV settings:
DolbyDigital .... auto (tried on)
Audio Output ... auto (tried 16 Bit)

XBMC settings:
Audio Output ....... HDMI (tried Optical/Coaxial)
Volume Downmix ... YES (No)

Plays everything great but dts movies without sound Sad

Try with a direct optical connection from the atv2 to your avr. Most TVs don't handle DTS due to licensing issues ... so they even don't seem to pass it through ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Try with a direct optical connection from the atv2 to your avr. Most TVs don't handle DTS due to licensing issues ... so they even don't seem to pass it through ...

Yes, that was the problem. My TV doesn't support dts. I found that in my TV manual but forgot to post it here.
Tried everything, still no ac3 or dts...
Kaiserlein you're a genius, your comment (now referenced in the wiki) sorted it for me just now.

My set up:

Apple TV -> Toshiba TV via HDMI
Toshiba TV -> Sony STR KS1000 -> Optical cable

Apple TV settings:
DolbyDigital .... Auto
Audio Output ... 16 Bit

XBMC settings:
Audio Output ....... Optical/Coaxial
Volume Downmix ... No

The channel on my Sony receiver that the Apple TV is connected was set to DEC. PCM as per the manual, I changed this to DEC. AUTO which selects the mode based on the input and hey presto I have sound Smile

Nick
eguina Wrote:Tried everything, still no ac3 or dts...
For me, it's the same. Settings: see 7 posts above this Confused
no AC3 or DTS, just scratching sound from HDMI
Philips TV with Kodi 20.2 with IPTV --- Orbsmart 500 Android 21 alpha/beta as Online-radio/TV in the kitchen
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21