• 9(current)
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 2
bircoe Wrote:Similar to what? Noir86 listed 2 different setups...

If you have the ATV2 connected to your TV via HDMI then optical to the receiver then chances are your TV doesn't support AC3 or pass-through.

HDMI to TV for Video
Optical to receiver for sound

I select HDML/Optical as audio output and get static noise from TV and Receiver. Only analog works of course

<audiooutput>
<ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
<audiodevice>Default Output Device</audiodevice>
<channellayout>6</channellayout>
<dontnormalizelevels>false</dontnormalizelevels>
<dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>
<mode>0</mode>
<passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
<passthroughmp1>false</passthroughmp1>
<passthroughmp2>false</passthroughmp2>
<passthroughmp3>false</passthroughmp3>
</audiooutput>
I just tested my ATV2 hooked up to the Logitech Z5500. DTS and AC3 movies plays perfectly fine.

XBMC System Settings:
Audio Output: Optical/Coax
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost volume level on downmix: unchecked
-Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable receiver: checked
-DTS capable receiver: checked
Audio output device: Default Output Device
i tried everything nothing worked. I tried the cyberduck and followed step by step on here with no luck.

Then i went into the xbmc settings in the GUI on the ATV2 and changed it from analog output and 2.0 sound to
OUtput HDMI
Speakers 7.1
checked blue button for DTS capable receiver
checked same for DD capable receiver

That seemed to do the trick now the few i tested output in DTS and DD. I will report back if anything changes.
oksehud Wrote:I would like to try that, but I'm a total noob....
I can ssh into the XBMC directory, but I don't know how to edit the guisettings.xml file.

I know, I have to use an xml editor, and have found several free editors on the net, but how do I actually open, edit and replace the xml file?
Can it be done in terminal, or do I have to copy the xml file to another location, open it in the editor, and copy it back to the atv2 Huh

Sorry for the apparently stupid questions, but this is my first time at this..
Any help is appreciated..

Use Filezilla to connect to the unit. Go to the folder location for the the .xml file you would like to edit. transfer that file to your pc(I just put it to the desktop). Right click on the file and open it with notepad. from there you can use (ctrl+F) to find the key words. this should get you started.
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can change (most or all of) these settings in the xbmc config - so no ssh etc. needed. At least I did and verified that the file showed the corresponding values…
apgamer Wrote:Use Filezilla to connect to the unit. Go to the folder location for the the .xml file you would like to edit. transfer that file to your pc(I just put it to the desktop). Right click on the file and open it with notepad. from there you can use (ctrl+F) to find the key words. this should get you started.

Theres no need to do this, the options work from within the menu...

See below post from XBMC Dev:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=728698&postcount=6
Ok guys, hate
but I've been spending 2 months and about 3-4 hours a day on this issue. I've worked in systems for the past decade, used to work at Apple as a "Genius" (hate that term) then interning in industrial design at Cupertino. I've programmed iOS and OS X app's so I know my way around.

I'm having the same issues as many others.

Setup:
· ATV2 "opened" using Seas0nPass running iOS 4.2 (4.1.1)
· XBMC (Some reason it states 10.0-0 and in other settings 10.0-7 as I installed the nightly build)
· Pioneer Elite VSX-33 7.1 - Digital Core DSP Engine, THX certified, 192K/24-Bot DACs, DDP, Dolby Pro Logic Plus and llz, DTS-HD, WMA9 Pro, PQLS Jitter Reduction via HDMI, DSD to PCM Converter, etc.

I've ripped full DVD backups on my Mac Pro using Fairmount or MTR 4.0, then Handbrake for m4v conversion. When possible I choose AC3 6-channel discrete or AC3 5.1-channel with the highest Bitrate (roughly 640 kbps). Once done, I can stream the m4v perfectly to my system via iTunes from my Mac Pro. Full sound, amazing quality.

Issue: I have my Pioneer AVR for internet radio and my ATV2 attached via ethernet to a second "Time Capsule" that is connected to my main "Time Capsule". My ATV2 accesses my m4v's perfectly on the "Time Capsules" HDD and acts as sort of a NAS device. Sound in the main ATV2 menu works, however in XBMC I have no sound in clicking through menus, and all the same exact m4v's copied to the "Time Capsule" HDD only output 2-channel stereo (selecting ACL audio/THX/etc simply transmits the stereo signal through 5 channels).

I have spent weeks researching the prominent issue. I tried this hack in the thread, using optical audio instead of HDMI, configured both the AVR and ATV2 to ensure everything is in sync. Still it seems to decode to 2-channel AAC.

This seems to be an issue with XBMC as some have pointed out bit streaming issues. Using ethernet to access my media should not pose an issue. If anyone has any expert knowledge I seemed to have missed I would greatly appreciate any any any help. Heck, I'll PAY you lol.
6corewhore Wrote:< snip useless info>

1) Sound in the main ATV2 menu works, however in XBMC I have no sound in clicking through menus

2) all the same exact m4v's copied to the "Time Capsule" HDD only output 2-channel stereo (selecting ACL audio/THX/etc simply transmits the stereo signal through 5 channels).

< snip more useless info>

1) Known issue, nav sounds are disabled. That's mentioned in the faq. There is no SDL-mixer present for this and this awaits merge of AudioEngine into trunk.

2) Digital audio out seems to be working for others. I suspect that while you think you are using the nightlies, you are not as 10.0-7 and below did output two channel audio for everything. Look at xbmc.log, the git version is present there and it will tell you exactly which version you are using.
6corewhore Wrote:Ok guys, hate
but I've been spending 2 months and about 3-4 hours a day on this issue. I've worked in systems for the past decade, used to work at Apple as a "Genius" (hate that term) then interning in industrial design at Cupertino. I've programmed iOS and OS X app's so I know my way around.

I'm having the same issues as many others.

Setup:
· ATV2 "opened" using Seas0nPass running iOS 4.2 (4.1.1)
· XBMC (Some reason it states 10.0-0 and in other settings 10.0-7 as I installed the nightly build)
· Pioneer Elite VSX-33 7.1 - Digital Core DSP Engine, THX certified, 192K/24-Bot DACs, DDP, Dolby Pro Logic Plus and llz, DTS-HD, WMA9 Pro, PQLS Jitter Reduction via HDMI, DSD to PCM Converter, etc.

I've ripped full DVD backups on my Mac Pro using Fairmount or MTR 4.0, then Handbrake for m4v conversion. When possible I choose AC3 6-channel discrete or AC3 5.1-channel with the highest Bitrate (roughly 640 kbps). Once done, I can stream the m4v perfectly to my system via iTunes from my Mac Pro. Full sound, amazing quality.

Issue: I have my Pioneer AVR for internet radio and my ATV2 attached via ethernet to a second "Time Capsule" that is connected to my main "Time Capsule". My ATV2 accesses my m4v's perfectly on the "Time Capsules" HDD and acts as sort of a NAS device. Sound in the main ATV2 menu works, however in XBMC I have no sound in clicking through menus, and all the same exact m4v's copied to the "Time Capsule" HDD only output 2-channel stereo (selecting ACL audio/THX/etc simply transmits the stereo signal through 5 channels).

I have spent weeks researching the prominent issue. I tried this hack in the thread, using optical audio instead of HDMI, configured both the AVR and ATV2 to ensure everything is in sync. Still it seems to decode to 2-channel AAC.

This seems to be an issue with XBMC as some have pointed out bit streaming issues. Using ethernet to access my media should not pose an issue. If anyone has any expert knowledge I seemed to have missed I would greatly appreciate any any any help. Heck, I'll PAY you lol.

Same exact issue. All my .m4v's are ripped with 6 channel discrete and all I get is stereo on my Pioneer receiver. Ugh.
bkim Wrote:Mine's connected via optical&hdmi and it's still static noise. I don't understand how some people got this to work.

same here

ATV2 > HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-05 Receiver > Pioneer 5010-FD Plasma (picture)

XBMC System Settings:
Audio Output: HDMI
Speaker Configuration: 5.1
Boost volume level on downmix: checked
-Dolby Digital (AC3) Capable receiver: checked
-DTS capable receiver: checked
Audio output device: Default Output Device

I'm able to hook an optical cable to the receiver, so maybe I'll try that. I assume the ATV can't pass lossless HD audio can it?
davilla Wrote:1) Known issue, nav sounds are disabled. That's mentioned in the faq. There is no SDL-mixer present for this and this awaits merge of AudioEngine into trunk.

2) Digital audio out seems to be working for others. I suspect that while you think you are using the nightlies, you are not as 10.0-7 and below did output two channel audio for everything. Look at xbmc.log, the git version is present there and it will tell you exactly which version you are using.

Thanks so much! I didn't know about the first issue. I've read through so many forums and comments, some days I spend hours. I like a challenge, I never give up, but at this point, I'm about to wave my white flag lol.

My dad has an iMac with the exact setup as myself. As he's a double leg amputee in a wheelchair from juvenile diabetes, I wanted to simplify his setup by accessing his media directly instead of making sure his iMac is on w/iTunes and an external HDD running at all times.

I'll check out the git version in the log. So 10.0-7 output's two channel for everything, so forgive my ignorance, which build should I use? 10.1 Dharma doesn't work on aTV 2 iOS from what I read, no? Is 11 "Eden" out? I read through everything but my head hurts lol

Thanks again mate and thanks SO MUCH for all your work. I will DEFINITELY donate! Smile
6corewhore Wrote:Thanks so much! I didn't know about the first issue. I've read through so many forums and comments, some days I spend hours. I like a challenge, I never give up, but at this point, I'm about to wave my white flag lol.

My dad has an iMac with the exact setup as myself. As he's a double leg amputee in a wheelchair from juvenile diabetes, I wanted to simplify his setup by accessing his media directly instead of making sure his iMac is on w/iTunes and an external HDD running at all times.

I'll check out the git version in the log. So 10.0-7 output's two channel for everything, so forgive my ignorance, which build should I use? 10.1 Dharma doesn't work on aTV 2 iOS from what I read, no? Is 11 "Eden" out? I read through everything but my head hurts lol

Thanks again mate and thanks SO MUCH for all your work. I will DEFINITELY donate! Smile

http://hadm.net/~keith/xbmc_atv2/
just finished reading through this thread and i noticed that most who post here with having proper 5.1, show that they are using coax/optical as the setting for 'Audio Output' in XBMC. im going to give that a try on my Atv2>AVR>Tv setup and post back tonight!
davilla Wrote:http://hadm.net/~keith/xbmc_atv2/

Awesome! Gonna send it on to my ATV 2 and dpkg it. Thanks mate Smile

EDIT: I'm having a brainfart morning, which of the files do I copy to use dpkg?

org.xbmc-20110401-97b5e9f_atv2-arm.deb or latest_atv2.deb?

Sorry for the trouble and thanks again!

UPDATE: Installed 10.0-7

I noticed something that may be an issue. In the "paplayer" folder there are six .so codecs:

adpcm-arm-osx.so
libFLAC-arm-osx.so
nosefart-arm-osx.so
stsoundlibrary-arm-osx.so
timidity-arm-osx.so
vgmstream-arm-osx.so

Reading further, am I missing codecs for AC3, etc? I know if paplayer cannot decode it defaults to DVDPlayer. In the PAPlayer section I read this:

Quote:Currently Supported Codecs

The .dll files for XBMC for Windows/Xbox or .so files for XBMC for Linux/Mac must be placed under the [XBMCFOLDER]/system/players/paplayer subfolder for the listed music format to become active. If there is no DLL/SO codec available for PAPlayer for a specific format then XBMC will try to play the fle with DVDPlayer instead (DVDPlayer is based on FFmpeg, so if the codec is supported by libavformat and libavcodec in FFmpeg then the chance is that XBMC will be able to play it if you add the audio extension to AdvancedSettings.xml), however is should be noted here that as DVDPlayer is not designed for pure audio-playback you will loose many unique playback advantages/features that PAPlayer has).

Am I missing codecs?
6corewhore Wrote:Awesome! Gonna send it on to my ATV 2 and dpkg it. Thanks mate Smile

EDIT: I'm having a brainfart morning, which of the files do I copy to use dpkg?

org.xbmc-20110401-97b5e9f_atv2-arm.deb or latest_atv2.deb?

Sorry for the trouble and thanks again!

UPDATE: Installed 10.0-7

I noticed something that may be an issue. In the "paplayer" folder there are six .so codecs:

adpcm-arm-osx.so
libFLAC-arm-osx.so
nosefart-arm-osx.so
stsoundlibrary-arm-osx.so
timidity-arm-osx.so
vgmstream-arm-osx.so

Reading further, am I missing codecs for AC3, etc? I know if paplayer cannot decode it defaults to DVDPlayer. In the PAPlayer section I read this:

Am I missing codecs?

No.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] HOW-TO to enable AC3 and DTS output for Apple TV 21