Ability to "protect" Video Sources?
I'm not sure if that was asked before, i tried searching the forums but didn't find anything...
I currently have my Moviedatabase spread across several sources.
There is a.) a NFS Fileserver hosting the most current data and b.) a buttload of USB Drives acting as an Archive.

So whenever when i move stuff from current to an Archive disk i have to re-set them as viewed and remove the old entries referring the to the old location on the Server.

Atm this is a tedious process since i have to remove them manually. Cleaning up the Database would remove all the Movies residing on the USB Disks which are currently not connected. So i am basically asking for two features (they may already be present and i haven't found them)

1.) Make Xbmc automatically recognize the different Path and alter the DB instead of re-adding the same content.

2.) Give Sources a protected flag which means they will not be removed from the DB when it is cleaned, regardless of the medias current availability...

Does one of these Features exist?
There is a ticket on trac that helps with this - basically you can set a translation table in advancedsettings.xml and XBMC takes care of it for you.

It's in trunk now - see 11101.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

that isn't really what i meant... i think...
What you are referring to is using the same source on different machines with different pathes.

I was referring to two entirely different features:
Example:
I have watched the entire Series of MacGyver and want to move it to an archive disk, currently it resides on my fileserver attached via nfs.
So i move the files to an usb disk and rescan this disk, after that i clean the database to get rid of the old entries pointing to the nfs share. (This share is reused for other content)
This leaves me with a new import, meaning i have to set them all as viewed, re-set custom fanart or thumbs... This isn't perfect but it's ok, a little comfort loss never hurt anyone. --- Still; it would be awesome if xbmc was smart enough the recognize the previously existing files have been moved and would therefore keep all the data intact.

What is really bugging me is the fact that during the database cleanup i loose all the entries which reside on media that is currently not connected. That is why i wanted to give certain Sources a "protected" flag, meaning any media residing on a protected source will not be cleaned out, regardless of its current availability...

Does that make any sense?
Or, you could:

1. Move files to this new disk.
2. Point the files that were on your nfs ones to the new disk using the translation table.
3. Profit?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Unfortunately only very marginal profit Sad
It does have serious disadvantages.
This would require me to set sources for every single tv show and movie and keep a large list of mappings.
turbomettwurst Wrote:Unfortunately only very marginal profit Sad
It does have serious disadvantages.
This would require me to set sources for every single tv show and movie and keep a large list of mappings.

I feel your pain on this one, and would love to see this implemented, so great to see it's in trunk!!!!

I've got something like 10 TB spread across 6 or 7 usb drives.

Constantly trying to juggle space allocation. I'm going to check out that allocation table idea, because that with EditPlus = Smile.

I too used to archive TV shows.

For two reasons - first because I wanted to move some TV shows out of the library as I had watched them all.

And second, because I was using TVRename to maintain the TV shows etc, and if you get enough TV shows in there, it takes forever to scan - and it's a pain for it to keep rewriting old .nfo files.

However, what I've been doing lately is not moving them. Just let them stack up, and buying a new USB drive when it starts took like I'm going to run out of space.

Regarding the first reason I was moving folders, moving files out of the library....I've started using the watched flag with 2 separate profiles - one for me, and one for me and my fiancee.

Then, click on Hide Watched - and Bob's your uncle.

I end up watching some of the same shows twice, but that's only because I'm watching it with my fiancee. Keep your wife happy, keep your life happy!

Regarding the second, TVRename - I'm just going to Edit Show, and ignoring all the seasons.

That way it doesn't keep scanning that show again.

I still move movies when dealing with space allocation.

For some reason, XBMC seems to have a much easier time rescanning movies from new locations - especially when you have .nfo files in there.

I don't know if that helps - but that's my personal experience in dealing with this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ability to "protect" Video Sources?0