[LINUX] Garbled font on Ubuntu Natty Alpha 2
Hi!
I'm trying to run XBMC (2:10.00~svn35648-maverick1) from the xbmc ppa packages on my Ubuntu Natty.

There are no problems in font rendering when running X on the machine, however XBMC and it's derivative Boxee shows up with garbled, unreadable fonts. I've tried to flush all caches, removed all user settings, and even replaced the TTF-s with known good fonts, bu no avail. I'm at my wits end as I have no idea what could cause such a major regression.

I'd like to report this on the Launchpad, however I don't have a clue which package I should report this against.

There is nothing in the logs at ALL that suggest a reason for this behavior, they are identical to that of before the Natty upgrade.

I'd appreciate if someone pointed me to the right direction!
Same here! Fresh installation of Ubuntu 11.04

Code:
Linux r2d2 2.6.38-02063802-generic #201103281246 SMP Mon Mar 28 12:50:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Please see the photo:

First off we use git now so that package is old. Secondly your using maverick package for natty which is all wrong. The natty packages i have tried works and own compiled works just fine.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:First off we use git now so that package is old. Secondly your using maverick package for natty which is all wrong. The natty packages i have tried works and own compiled works just fine.

There's no compiled natty package in the PPA. Is there another place to get it?

Also i compiled XBMC master from git in meanwhile, but it is not solving the issue. Same problem as with maverick package.

EDIT: Found the natty package in the unstable branch, i'll give it a shot.
EDIT2: Had no success with natty package, font is still messed up.
Tried again on another 11.04 system with same kernel and it works Confused
So the issue seems to be hardware / driver related... i'll file a bug report later.
Hmm.. or it might be a bug in the graphics drivers, not even xbmc-related. Anyway, took me half a day just for getting WLAN working and now these graphic issues which weren't there in previous ubuntu releases. Even if i use linux for daily work on my laptop... i'm pissed off and will install win xp on my media center pc finally No ..i guess xbmc will also work than.
alpha != stable.

I'm not sure why you act all surprised when it don't work.
coupas Wrote:alpha != stable.

I'm not sure why you act all surprised when it don't work.

AFAIK the purpose of pre releases is to test and to get rid of bugs, NOT to not use them.

----

Kicked Windows after running it for 15 min, so i spent another two days in finding the bug and finally solved the issue. As is guessed, it's not really xbmc-related.

For people experiencing the same problem:

It's a bug in the Mesa 7.10 OpenGL implementation, which is described here and is fixed in later versions:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34280

So i compiled (uff - lots of dependencies and stuff) and installed the latest git version which is working fine! But just this minute i discovered that there are precompiled Mesa 7.11 packages available from xorg-edgers ppa. Didn't tried if that is working (it should), but might be the easier solution.

https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Garbled font on Ubuntu Natty Alpha 20