Install without mysql
Hi,

I try to install XBMC 10.0 on a gentoo with a manual install. I want to use it on a single computer and i don't need mysql support.

Is there an option to disable the mysql support ?
The same question about the samba support ?

Thanks.
MySql doesn't come with XBMC...it uses SQLite.
Aenima99x: Um. No.

EkASs: I checked the config file, I couldn't find any place to do a --disable-mysql or --disable-samba, so it looks like you'll need them.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
I'm confused, XBMC doesn't use MySQL for the library unless you tell it to in the AdvancedSettings.xml.

There's no reason you'd need to disable SMB support either, if you don't want it, don't use it.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
darkscout Wrote:Aenima99x: Um. No.
Um. YES.

Quote:XBMC uses SQLite, an open source light-weight SQL database-engine, to store all its library related data (Music, Video, and Program databases). By default, the database files (*.db) are stored in The UserData Folder, specifically in userdata/Database.

WIKI
Aenima99x Wrote:Um. YES.

WIKI

Let the adults talk.

EkASs is running gentoo, the 'compile everything from source' Linux distro. He wants a way to disable the dependencies on mysql and samba.

Youl'll notice the requirements include libmysql and libsmbclient, now normally with decent 'configure' file you can turn on and off, for example:

Code:
--disable-option-checking  ignore unrecognized --enable/--with options
  --disable-FEATURE       do not include FEATURE (same as --enable-FEATURE=no)
  --disable-hal           disable HAL support (default is enabled if hal and
  --disable-avahi         disable Avahi support (default is enabled if
  --disable-non-free      disable componentents with non-compliant licenses
  --disable-webserver     disable webserver
  --disable-dependency-tracking  speeds up one-time build
      *=* | --config-cache | -C | -disable-* | --disable-* \
      --disable-ipv6 \
      --disable-asm-optimizations \
      --disable-xmms-plugin \
      --disable-cpplibs \
      --disable-amd3dnow \
      --disable-static \
      `if test "$use_debug" = "no"; then echo --disable-debug; fi` \
      --disable-muxers \
      --disable-encoders \
      `if test "$use_ffmpeg_libvorbis" == "yes"; then echo --enable-libvorbis --enable-muxer=ogg --enable-encoder=libvorbis; else echo --disable-libvorbis; fi` \
      --disable-devices \
      --disable-ffplay \
      --disable-ffserver \
      --disable-ffmpeg \
      --disable-decoder=mpeg_xvmc \
      --disable-static

For example, you can cut the cruft if you disable stuff. I've dropped pulse audio and optical drive support.

More importantly, if you're building from source (as you would with gentoo) that mean you get the privilege of getting to build the libraries (such as libmysql and libsmbclient)

To answer the original post, no, there isn't a way to build from source without these dependencies.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Thanks for these answers.

Perhaps in the next release ...

Is the mysql backend has a better performance ?
MySQL support serves a different purpose, it hasn't been included for better performance afaik.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
darkscout Wrote:Let the adults talk.
No need for childish quips. I used to compile xbmc on ubuntu and didn't realize that libmysql was a required dependency and honestly thought he was asking something different. So relax a little.
ok just ran into this as well. so the answer is basically "no, can't disable" as of 10.1+?
xbmc-pvr-ppa-odk68, Gentoo x86 3.0.7-pf, xorg-server-1.11.2, mesa-7.11, nvidia-drivers-290.10
There is no configure trigger to disable it no, patches welcomed as ofcourse we want it to be possible to toggle for many reasons.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:There is no configure trigger to disable it no, patches welcomed as ofcourse we want it to be possible to toggle for many reasons.

Cheers,
Tobias

Just ran into this too. It is silly to have dependencies for things you aren't using. I don't think the OP or any others are being unreasonable. Add me to those who think you should not need a dependency unless you depend on it.
I like to keep my system clean and I have no need for mysql at the moment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install without mysql0