• 41(current)
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?
the AMD ZACATE E-350 platform seems supported ok when using OpenELEC version of XBMC...

but honeslty, if u want to avoid headaches and just go with what works,
get an Nvidia Video Card...
GT210/GT520/GT430
Wohoo...... 600 Replies and 128,000 VIEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smile
128,000 VIEWS --> o.O

$1 each time = eSkRo back on track lol

no but, seriously, its crazy!!!!
eskro Wrote:nope, no need for an hdd if u use OpenELEC

But performance still sucks right? I mean, no way that an usb 3.0 stick stacks up to a real ssd drive?
I'm being lazy now, anyone want to tell me where I can find info to help me decide what RAM I should be buying? I refuse to use Yahoo Answers

(Currently looking at 2x4GB CL9 G-Skill which I reckon is gonna be overkill for my G530 setup, but the thought of it makes me smile. 1x4GB is the cheaper option and I could then spend half the difference on a G620.)
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
I think the answer is either; 2x2 or 2x1 GB of DDR3 1333 ram. Anything over 4gb is just optional but not really necessary.

Maybe one dimm of 4 GB if you want to upgrade to 8 later.
for openELEC, 2x1GB DDR3 1333Mhz is all u'll ever need...
What's openElec?

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with XBMC and a few other bits and pieces but do sometimes use SoundForge for sound file cropping - 1GB "spare" memory comes in useful for that.

Looks like I'm going for a 1x4GB - do I take it the brand & CL speed will make very little difference in most real world applications? I've traditionally always used Corsair Select (for the lifetime warranty) but I notice the G-Skill stuff is used by a lot of people now.
baldmosher™
Trying to save his marriage with a HTPC
Current system: TV unit, 37PFL5405H, Microserver N40L (as HTPC), Xbox360, BDP-S370, FoxsatHD, Azur 540Rv2, Keysonic 540RF, Harmony 300
Planned W7x64 AMD mATX (HT)PC build: Case, PSU, RAM, Mobo, CPU Total £240 + IR + HSF? + SSD?
ok sorry i thought you wanted to use OpenELEC version of XBMC for a sec ^^

well, i'd go for CORSAIR XMS3 DDR3 1333Mhz
@eskro:

If I run OpenElec, can I substitute for a SSD with a USB 3.0 stick? People are telling me this but I'm a bit doubtful.

*side note; i do like a responsive system.
eskro Wrote:EVGA GeForce GT 210
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?s...cture=eVGA

$34.99 price match link
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp..._-14130605

Everything for this build came in the other day (NCIX forgot my order for 8 daysSad). After unpacking everything, I noticed the video card is not low profile. No low profile bracket was included as per the box contents and checking it too. Do you know anywhere I can buy a bracket for this?. I've searched but can't come up with anything.
shadow_cruiser Wrote:Everything for this build came in the other day (NCIX forgot my order for 8 daysSad). After unpacking everything, I noticed the video card is not low profile. No low profile bracket was included as per the box contents and checking it too. Do you know anywhere I can buy a bracket for this?. I've searched but can't come up with anything.
If you have tool, you can easily convert it to low profile. The bracket is flexible and can easily cut off and bend. I did it several times!

Here is low profile bracket kit- XFX Low Profile Bracket Kit Model MA-BK01-LP1K
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:If you have tool, you can easily convert it to low profile. The bracket is flexible and can easily cut off and bend. I did it several times!

Here is low profile bracket kit- XFX Low Profile Bracket Kit Model MA-BK01-LP1K

Thank you very much!. I didn't even think of that. I cut 3/4 of the bottom tab and now it fits perfectly. Will post pictures in the respected thread tomorrowSmile (if all goes well)
shadow_cruiser Wrote:Thank you very much!. I didn't even think of that. I cut 3/4 of the bottom tab and now it fits perfectly. Will post pictures in the respected thread tomorrowSmile (if all goes well)
Good luck!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
nice job shadow_cruiser!
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Your Very First HTPC? But Where do You Start?36