4GB RAM shows Total Memory as 2771MB - Why?
Just installed 2 sticks of 2GB into my Acer Revo, and when checking out the BIOS it shows Total Memory as only 2816MB, where's the rest?

SOLUTION -

Just for clarity for anyone else with this perceived issue I thought I would explain how the Acer Revo R3600 uses 4GB of RAM. Thanks to Acer support for there quick response to my question.

2816MB Physical Memory + 512MB Video Memory + 512MB PCI Hardware Resources + 256MB PCI Express does indeed equal 4096MB.
Hey Fight Club,

What OS are you on?

If your 32bit, then you'll only ever see about 3GB. That's Windows reporting 3GB, however it may be slighty less. I remember a Win7 beta that reported the exact RAM amount being used, then in a later beta they had rounded it up (so for example 2771MB changed to 3GB).

Cheers
There is no better way then just check it at boot time - there is mem test (computer - not OS) and it should show whole system memory (- reserved for IGP).
I'm using XBMC Live (that's why I posted here Laugh )

I check the mem test at boot.

Cheers.
Just booted and gone into the BIOS, under product information it shows 2816MB.

Strange!?
Ah, didn't check which thread you were posting in! I'll bugger off... Wink
Check how much is reserved for IGP. For me it looks like u have 2gb + 1gb - 256 mb for IGP == exacly 2816. But if you are sure its 2x 2gb - I would try booting with just 1 stick (do it for those two) to see if booth alone are 2gb (ie if booth stick are working good).
I have iGPU Frame rate Buffer Size set to 512mb, and each of the sticks show up as 1536MB when installed individually.
XBMC Live has no pae kernel, it can't "see" 4GB RAM.
you could change kernel and install a PAE supported one but please note that there a reports of crashes on music.
I am in a similar situation but had to go back to non-PAE kernel "renouncing" to 1GB RAM because 10.04 pae kernel made xbmc crash and reboot all the time (see my posts on the subject, I later on discovered it was the pae kernel).
Haven't tried with newer kernels yet, don't want to mess again
His kernel is not going to make a difference if the bios setup shows the same low number.

Tyler, I had the same issue with my desktop PC. I bought 2x2GB sticks and was only seeing ~3 GB of ram in the bios.

Each stick individually would show 2GB, but both together would only show 3. I read though my motherboard documentation, and found an excerpt saying that due to a chipset limitation, I may install a max of 2GB on each slot, but only ddr2-533 and ddr2-667 is available. When it was set to ddr2-800, I wouldn't see all the ram.

This was an Asus p5b-E with intel p965/ICH8R chipset.

May you have a similar issue.

Here is a post about it elsewhere: http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=197976

Look for said memory mapping feature in your bios setup.
Tyler Durden Wrote:I have iGPU Frame rate Buffer Size set to 512mb, and each of the sticks show up as 1536MB when installed individually.

1536+512 = 2048 = the full 2GB stick of ram.

So, whatever you see when you have both sticks in + 512mb should equal how much your OS is seeing. 32-bit OSes vary per-machine in the amount of available RAM, but none of them will ever see the full 4GB.

For context, I'm on XP 32-bit at the moment and it's reporting that I have 3.25GB. Lucky for you, you don't need anywhere near ~2800MB for XBMC live Smile
He is having some hardware problems so talking about software limitation is useless here.

@tyler Durden u should contact your motherboard support.
nemek Wrote:He is having some hardware problems so talking about software limitation is useless here.

@tyler Durden u should contact your motherboard support.

I was about to ask you where in his posts did he say he was having a hardware problem. BUT then I realized that the BIOS should actually tell the full amount of RAM as it's not an OS Smile Anyway, I guess contacting the manufacturer is the way to go.
A quick look at Acer Support, and my question appears to be answered.

Quote:Aspire Revo R3600 or R3610 recognizes 3GB of RAM
Why does my Aspire Revo R3600 or R3610 only recognize 3GB of RAM memory out of 4GB?

If you have 4GB of Random Access Memory (RAM) installed in your Aspire Revo R3600 or R3610, the operating system recognizes it as only 3GB. This is not due to any software limitations, but to the architecture of the Atom processor.

CAUSE

Due to its design, the Atom processor can address up to 4 GB of RAM. Parts of the memory will be assigned to hardware resources during the start-up of the system, making this memory invisible for the Operating System.

RESOLUTION

This is expected product behaviour due to its design, and it does not indicate a product failure or bug.

MORE INFORMATION

The System missing memory is used in the following way:

256 megabytes (MB) is assigned as video memory.
A total of 512 MB is used for PCI hardware resources.
256 MB is dedicated to PCI Express hardware resources.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4GB RAM shows Total Memory as 2771MB - Why?0