[WINDOWS] Win7 XBMC with myth:// stuttering
Question 
Hi all,

I just got Windows7 installed, and after taking care of the basic necessities, I went to get XBMC up and running. However, I have an issue with adding my mythTV server via the myth:// protocol.

Playing HD videos via the myth protocol results in horrible stuttering - think quarter second of play, quarter second of stopped. It will continue like this as long as I let it. If I pause the video for a while and then resume, it will play ok for a few seconds and then resume the stuttering. Both audio and video are stuttering.

The strangest part is, if I add the SMB share with the videos stored on it, and then play via that, everything plays fine. My myth backend is a remote system, which is connected on my local LAN. My Windows7 frontend is connected to the lan via 802.11n, but I'm very certain this is not the issue, unless it is Windows7 specific (network buffers, or something like that). I can boot back into XP on the same machine with the same hardware and XBMC fires up myth just fine, and, as I said before, even in Win7 the SMB share access works fine.

Any ideas from someone who has been down this path? Not having XBMC is really preventing me from completing my move to Win7! I don't have many deal breakers, but I won't give up XBMC just to move to a new version of windows.

Also - Debug log: http://pastebin.com/3hC68MZN
***bump*** Nobody?
I'm still at a loss with this one - I can't find anything else in the forums, I've tried moving my AdvancedSettings.xml and sources.xml from my WinXP installation so that everything is the same in Win7 as it is on WinXP (which works with both myth:// and SMB://) and everything works fine on Win7 using SMB but not with myth://

I'm starting to think there's just some bug in XBMC myth:// protocol handling on windows 7. I tried disabling the windows firewall entirely, but don't think it can be my video/audio drivers since smb: access works just fine. Is anyone else successfully using myth:// protocol on Windows 7 Professional? It would be nice to even have some idea that it's working for someone, so I know I'm not wasting my time.
Maybe the lack of replies is my fault - please see the first post for a new, improved link to an actual DEBUG log.

If you have any other questions or need any info, just ask and I'll post it.
At the risk of looking like I'm talking to myself - I finally moved all the furniture in my living room and got my media PC to a location where I can run a wire. It looks like the MythTV and myth:// now work fine over the LAN (Realtek RTL8168) but still is no good over the wireless N (Linksys WRT610N & WUSB600N). I do believe there is some kind of bug/interaction within XBMC that is causing this issue.

To Recap:
boot WinXP, use WirelessN, XBMC 10.0, myth:// and SMB works fine
boot Win7, use WirelessN, XBMC 10.0 or 10.1, only SMB works
boot Win7, use Wired, XBMC 10.1, myth:// and SMB works fine

I know making the myth:// handling work in XBMC over wireless N is probably a niche feature, but I'd be happy to help anyone who wants to look into it further. I had a pretty good run using the wireless (over 1 year), and I'm a bit disappointed to have to run a wire to get back to the same level of functionality I had in WinXP with XBMC. Oh well.
@pablofred, I missed this forum post with my usual searches for myth related issues. If you can post another full debug log (the pastebin ID seems to have expired) I'll have a look. The Myth protocol possibly isn't very friendly for wireless networks but I can see if there is anything obviously weird going on.
Use MythTV for recording TV? Try the integrated MythTV support in XBMC Media Center. Now with commercial skip support built-in and integration with the Movie database!
Hi dteirney,

I can't seem to locate that debug log at this point - and recreating it will take some doing, as I've been running wired for over a year now and am marginally content, other than the fact that it limits my options for laying out my living room. Yes - I rearranged my living room rather than give up XBMC.

Thanks for your interest, but unless you really wish to track this down, I would probably be inclined to try updating my 10.x to 11.0 to see if somehow that made any difference before you spend much time on this. I know wireless isn't the optimum way to stream hi-def video, but in my case it was working fairly well in WinXP, and I doubted (but can't really entirely rule out) any driver issues in Win7, simply because the SMB access worked well in XBMC, so it's not like the wireless link was being corrupted at all times in Win7.

If you really want to see a log from 10.x, let me know and I'll see if I can recreate it in a few days. Of course, I may post it again anyway if I get to fooling around with 11.0 and things still don't work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Win7 XBMC with myth:// stuttering0