[linux] Changes to IR remotes in Linux 2.6.35(?)+
My apologies if this has a thread, but searching hasn't turned up any.

A lot is changing in how Linux handles IR remotes, with drivers moving to "IR core" in the kernel instead of being part of LIRC.
I don't really know a lot about it, and almost all the information available doesn't discuss it at all. I added a section to the wiki with a short explanation and a few links, but since I haven't actually managed to get my iMON Pad remote working perfectly yet I won't presume to do an actual guide.

Hopefully this thread can collect experiences so we can cut down on frustration Smile

Personally I have an iMON Pad and my box is running Ubuntu 10.10. There is a kernel driver (imon) that works, so Lirc needs to be setup with "devinput" as the driver and /dev/input/eventX as the device (eventX being a number that changes at boot).
Simply installing LIRC gets the remote working, but I have so far been unable to change the keymapping. It doesn't help that irw won't work and adding <showremotecodes>true</showremotecodes> (or <showremotecode>true</showremotecode> since the wiki is unclear as to which is correct) doesn't make XBMC show me the remote codes.

Changing the keyboard.xml is the only thing I have had any success with so far (swapping left/right on both the remote and the keyboard), but since I haven't been able to see which remote key sends which keyboard key it is not exactly a fun job trying to nail down every single button.
I eventually got irrecord to work, but it seems like the setup gets ignored whatever I try Sad

Anyways, according to this Ubuntu 10.10 doesn't have the feshest bits in place, so I'll try another kernel (or probably just another distro like Arch) and see if that solves my problems.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
My suggestion. Reboot your HTPC. SSH into the box and try IRW before you do anything else...

I was having issues troubleshooting XBMCFreak (based off of Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick and using Linux kernel .37). When I ran IRW right upon boot it worked fine because I do not think LIRC was in use yet.
Sometimes I feel kinda silly... after days of fighting with LIRC (and rebooting unfortunately didn't work for me bmcclure937), it turns out that the changes removed LIRC entirely from the equation. That is - until I tried forcing it back in and at best breaking stuff :p

The kernel driver ('imon' in my case) simply sends keycodes to userspace. All I have to do is make sure those keycodes are mapped correctly in XBMC.
Running 'showkey' (with LIRC removed from the system) got me the keycodes for all buttons, but setting them in keyboard.xml didn't help - I'm guessing I need to configure it like a joystick.
I'll be back with results Smile

EDIT: After chatting with a LIRC developer, I should warn everyone that the IR drivers in Ubuntu 10.10 are very buggy. Stick with 10.04 or another distro for now.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[linux] Changes to IR remotes in Linux 2.6.35(?)+0