• 18(current)
[RELEASE] Canada On Demand (Successor to CTV Properties)
Dougedey Wrote:I'm running on Ubuntu, Using 10.1, and I've updated librtmp from git but I still get handshake failed from the logs when trying to view most streams.

I tried using rtmpdump from the command line and the issue appears to be from there, has anyone had any success with this plugin on Ubuntu?

I use Ubuntu on both my test system and my media system. I think you might still be using the old library.

Run this:
Code:
dpkg -L librtmp0

It will list the files installed by the ubuntu package librtmp0, take a close look at where the librtmp.so.0 file is located. The default Makefile from rtmpdump will install the new library into /usr/local/. The libraries will therefore go into /usr/local/lib and the new rtmpdump command will go into /usr/local/bin. You probably have multiple copies installed.. either copy over the new file (and rename the old one) or uninstall the package and see if you can get it to load.

Let me know how it goes.
jedix Wrote:I use Ubuntu on both my test system and my media system. I think you might still be using the old library.

Run this:
Code:
dpkg -L librtmp0

It will list the files installed by the ubuntu package librtmp0, take a close look at where the librtmp.so.0 file is located. The default Makefile from rtmpdump will install the new library into /usr/local/. The libraries will therefore go into /usr/local/lib and the new rtmpdump command will go into /usr/local/bin. You probably have multiple copies installed.. either copy over the new file (and rename the old one) or uninstall the package and see if you can get it to load.

Let me know how it goes.

Thank you so much for your help!

Works beautifully!
I registered for this forum just so that I could say a huge THANK YOU!!! This is exactly what I needed for XMBC to be the perfect solution for my HTPC. I had tried Boxee and although it found many of the internet video in our area, it still missed many shows. The program was barely usable because the menus flickered (flashed) so badly and much of the video playback was not smooth. I found XMBC and your AWESOME plugin and set it up on Mint 11 (see this link to install XMBC on Mint 11 - http://forum.xbmc.org/archive/index.php/t-103058.html). It works great.

Now my husband's old laptop (P Pavilion zd8000) has new life sitting behind our old TV. Now I (mom) can watch a TV program when my daughters and husband are using all the other computers (2 desktops and a laptop) including "my computer" that I usually use as my media center. I'm very excited about this setup. Thanks so much.
Is there anyway to get Canada on Demand working for people in the USA? I think it prob wont let me watch because my IP is coming from USA ISP and not Canada ISP. Any work arounds?
ronmcse Wrote:Is there anyway to get Canada on Demand working for people in the USA? I think it prob wont let me watch because my IP is coming from USA ISP and not Canada ISP. Any work arounds?

Well people in Canada have this issue with Hulu and such.. apparently a VPN works but I'm not entirely sure if it's legal or what. Basically you pay someone for a machine in Canada and then setup a VPN so it looks like you are located here.
Global is no longer working. I can bring up a show like "The Office" and it will show the episodes but when you click on an episode, there is no file to play. Huh
anessa Wrote:Global is no longer working. I can bring up a show like "The Office" and it will show the episodes but when you click on an episode, there is no file to play. Huh

is this with my git repo version or the one from the start of this thread?
it no work for me neider dog

i dont got no culburt
I've just started looking at this plugin and have run into a couple of issues.

From what I've read, Citytv not working is a DRM issue so there's no sense getting worked up about that.

Global wasn't working for me (using the plugin from the start of the thread) so I manually copied the updated version from jedix's git repo. That gets me video from Global - but no audio.

I grabbed the portion of the log file from the point at which I clicked on a Global show and put it into pastebin. It's pretty dense reading -- and that's without turning all the debug stuff on, near as I can tell!

Though there are many error messages in the log, it appears to be pretty much the same as I'm seeing when I choose something from say, CTV and play it (which works and I get audio as well). And since I really don't have any idea what I should be looking for.... help? :o
XBMC Eden / Maverick Meerkat (Ubuntu 10.10)
Acer AspireRevo 3610 (Atom N330/ION/4GB RAM+500GB HD), PS3 BD Remote, HDMI to Vizio M320VT
Silverlock Wrote:I've just started looking at this plugin and have run into a couple of issues.

From what I've read, Citytv not working is a DRM issue so there's no sense getting worked up about that.

Global wasn't working for me (using the plugin from the start of the thread) so I manually copied the updated version from jedix's git repo. That gets me video from Global - but no audio.

I grabbed the portion of the log file from the point at which I clicked on a Global show and put it into pastebin. It's pretty dense reading -- and that's without turning all the debug stuff on, near as I can tell!

Though there are many error messages in the log, it appears to be pretty much the same as I'm seeing when I choose something from say, CTV and play it (which works and I get audio as well). And since I really don't have any idea what I should be looking for.... help? :o

Have you updated librtmp? You need version 2.4, this might be the piece you are missing.

rtmp homepage

Let me know how it goes.

Oh, and enable "my librtmp is awesome!" in the plugin settings.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I updated librtmp and turned the awesome flag on first thing; I'm blaming this stubborn cold I'm fighting for making my brain even fuzzier than usual. Smile

I actually just figured out now why there was no sound, and it had nothing to do with the plugin or librtmp.

I'd noticed that the sample rate that was being reported for Global shows was 22050 rather than 44100 I'd seen from CTV et al. I'd also read somewhere that there were issues with audio over HDMI at rates other then 48000, so my .asoundrc file has always included a "rate 48000" line in the default setup. But it didn't seem to be being honoured; turning on the debug OSD on Global still showed it as 22050. Digging deeper, I finally realized that my Audio Output needed to be set to ALSA:default rather than ALSA:HDMI to get that rate line looked at.

As an aside, I'd had an <audio><resample>48000</resample></audio> entry in my advancedsettings.xml file for a couple of old mp3s that were sampled at 22050Hz, but I was able to remove that now that I had Audio Output set to default rather than HDMI.

I guess it all makes perfect sense in retrospect, and it was just a coincidence that the one channel I was having trouble with was the same one that required your update (nice work by the way, thanks!).
XBMC Eden / Maverick Meerkat (Ubuntu 10.10)
Acer AspireRevo 3610 (Atom N330/ION/4GB RAM+500GB HD), PS3 BD Remote, HDMI to Vizio M320VT
Okay. I believe I got the changed files from the github and installed rtmpdump although I would have loved to see a "how to" install from the github for people like me who are just starting in the linux world. I have been working on Windows for years (even back to the days of DOS) but I find it hard to wade through the endless pages of non-applicable linux information to find what I need for tech info.

Anyway, now I can't play anything in Canada On Demand without it freezing the whole system. I have tried reinstalling XBMC but then I noticed that it keeps all the plugins. So I tried deleting the COD plugin but when I redownloaded and installed Canada On Demand, it still has my bookmarks. I want to start again fresh with COD and get it working again.

So currently I have a fresh install of XBMC and the zip version of Canada On Demand. It will play a youtube video with a Youtube plugin (which tells me that video WILL play in XBMC) but with Canada On Demand, any video on any network hangs the computer when it starts to load the video. It hangs with the loading box on the screen. Sometimes the mouse moves and leaves trails all over the screen but it's hung and I have to power off the laptop. Help please. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out on my own but no luck.
Yay. Big Grin I figured out why the whole plugin was crashing. It was the "automatically play clips" setting. As soon as I disable that setting, I can play videos from most of the networks again.

Okay, Global TV works now because I figured out how to get the addon from github. There is a little button called "Zip" above "Files" near the top left of the screen. I was able to download the repository as a zip file and then use the install instructions on the first page of this thread. I uninstalled the plugin from XBMC before doing this but I'm not sure if that step was necessary.

I still have to figure out rtmpdump because channels like CityTV show up now after I installed rtmpdump 2.4 and enabled "my librtmp is awesome!" but the video on CityTV won't play. However, pressing ESC gets me out of the frozen screen so it's not as bad as crashing the whole thing. All in all, I'm back to being happy again!
Is there any way to push the updates to an official repo? My system is locked down and I can't make manual changes to code.
thanks for the update. but Treehouse TV still not working. if you look into it. thanks.
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Canada On Demand (Successor to CTV Properties)11