Songs Crossfade
Hello guys,

I have xbmc 10.1 and sound output is via optical.
Under Lucid everything was working OK but since I upgraded to Maverick, I noticed some improvements but also some problems.
For instance with Maverick there was no need asound.conf file in order to have AC3 and DTS, all worked out of the box with "plughw:0,1" setting under sound but...

When the music is set to crossfade with few songs selected, after the end of song it displays "error script, check your audio settings".
I read that some folks have the same issues but have no idea how to fix it.
Could anyone advice please?

My xbmc log bin pending this erros is here:
Code:
http://pastebin.com/geG1kypn
I see that you are using pulse audio. I don't know if it is important to you but you could simply remove it and then use dmixer in your .asoundrc to get crossfading. In summary:

- In a terminal: sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio
- In a terminal: gstreamer-properties, then set everything to ALSA
- In your home directory (/home/yourusername) create a .asoundrc file like this:

Code:
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,1"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
        #periods 128
        #rate 44100
        rate 48000
        }
         bindings {
            0 0
            1 1
        }
        }
Notice that this file will override your actual configuration you may have in /etc/asound.conf. So if you have multiple users connecting to this machine you may want to put this code in asound.conf instead.

- Reboot
- In XBMC audio settings:

AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE: custom
CUSTOM AUDIO DEVICE: plug:dmixer
PASSTHROUGH AUDIO DEVICE: iec958
Thank you for reply jrbastien Smile

If I remove pulse I noticed that xbmc sounds do not work anymore. The AC3 and DTS would work fine but no menu sounds anymore. Other than that, I do not need pulse anymore. I have no idea how and why ubuntu are still using pulse.

If I do as you mention, would I loose xbmc menu sounds? Huh
ALSA most likely fails to open the second output which we use to crossfade to, i.e. alsa or your hardware is not able to mix. You can't really have crossfade and digital out, atleast not without software mixing (something AE will handle)
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I have done lots of reading and tried few configs and finally I think the following is working for me using optical out. I have xbmc menu sounds too. After listening to music with cool crossfade, the xbmc menu sounds come back but with some delay.

I have created etc/.asoundrc with the following content:
Code:
pcm.dmixer {
    type dmix
    ipc_key 1024
    slave {
        pcm "hw:0,1"
        period_time 0
        period_size 1024
        buffer_size 8192
        #periods 128
        #rate 44100
        rate 48000
     }
     bindings {
        0 0
        1 1
     }
}

In my case the optical is "hw:0,1"

Then in XBMC/Settings/Audio I have set:
Optical
AC3
DTS
AUDIO OUTPUT DEVICE: custom
CUSTOM AUDIO DEVICE: plug:dmixer
PASSTHROUGH AUDIO DEVICE: iec958

Log out, back in, I rebooted few times and DTS, AC3 works fine and crossfade too.
Thank you for all the help folks!
If I understand correctly Angi321, the only difference with your solution and mine is that you have removed the default pcm entry in your .asoundrc file.

Right?

I have been searching for a long time too on how to get the menu sound but in my case it is over hdmi not SPDIF. See this post.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97472
jrbastien Wrote:If I understand correctly Angi321, the only difference with your solution and mine is that you have removed the default pcm entry in your .asoundrc file.

Right?

I have been searching for a long time too on how to get the menu sound but in my case it is over hdmi not SPDIF. See this post.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=97472

Yes, you are right.

Are you sure that "hw:0,1" is your hdmi?
I may be wrong but from what I've seen hdmi is generally mapped at 0,3.
Actually, you are right. I use hw:0,3. I still don't know why these navigation sounds would go through SPDIF but not hdmi...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Songs Crossfade0