How to get it running?
Star 
Hello!

i'm new here, recently installed xbmc on my pc and i have to say i like it very much so far. It looks good, it has got some nice features, many addons etc. Basically its great. Although it is obviously supposed to be used on a TV instead of a pc. Now i have not got a htpc, but i do have a 360 and i'm sure there is someway to set this up without modding the 360's hardware.

i've got a pc running w7 os (64 bit) and a xbox 360. the 360 and pc are both connected to the same network. Now i want to be able use XBMC on my 360 (meaning, i want to control my PC version of XBMC with my xbox)
seing how these two machines are connected to the same network, i'm sure there is a way of streaming movies to the 360 from the pc. I'm not 100% sure i can control the pc client remotely with the xbox, but i think this should work aswell. Note that i have no intentions of modding any hardware. I have previously watched movies on my 360 wich was streamed from my pc using the Azureus Vuze client. That worked out good, but i would rather see that i could use the beautiful interface of XBMC (it does look very good even without modding/skinning) on my TV. I could just hook the tv up with the pc , but i dont have a hdmi cable long enough, and the TV does not have any network reciving device that i know of.

tldr; All i want is to use XBMC on my TV from my PC, meaning, i hook my pc up with my 360 console and stream or whatever to view it on the Tv.
I have been searching alot, but since i'm new and don't have any knowledge here i havent found anything. I've read alot of "how to's" but still not found anything. So if there is someone who could help me i would appreciate it ALOT.
sorry for any spelling mistakes.

regards!
The long and short of it is, you won't get all the pretty effects of XBMC through your 360. XBMC has to be installed on a dedicated htpc that is directly connected to your computer to get the full effect.

XBMC CAN serve video to the 360 via uPNP, but you won't be able to see the XBMC interface.
natethomas Wrote:The long and short of it is, you won't get all the pretty effects of XBMC through your 360. XBMC has to be installed on a dedicated htpc that is directly connected to your computer to get the full effect.

XBMC CAN serve video to the 360 via uPNP, but you won't be able to see the XBMC interface.

thank you for your reply.

is there anyway i could dedicate my pc to a htpc so i could see the xbmc interface on tv?

if not, how do i send to the 360 console using uPNP ?
Quote:dedicate my pc to a htpc so i could see the xbmc interface on tv

Use your pc as the htpc?
or
Connect you pc to a htpc to see on your tv?

Either way as natethomas said, the only way to get an XBMC interface on your tv screen is if something running XBMC is connected.
(Although sony devices are going to be intergrating with XBMC I hear Wink(sarcasm))

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
pseudo7 Wrote:Use your pc as the htpc?
or
Connect you pc to a htpc to see on your tv?

Either way as natethomas said, the only way to get an XBMC interface on your tv screen is if something running XBMC is connected.
(Although sony devices are going to be intergrating with XBMC I hear Wink(sarcasm))

excuse my ignorance in this matter, but i'm not sure how to get it to work as i want.

forget the 360 then. How do i connect my pc to my tv as a htpc?
i want to connect my pc, but its only possible using a hdmi cable i suppose?

i dont think my tv has a network reciving option, but i dont even know how to check..
rfzmm Wrote:i want to connect my pc, but its only possible using a hdmi cable i suppose?

i dont think my tv has a network reciving option, but i dont even know how to check..

HDMI or DVI->HDMI adapter + Audio from your soundcard.

Most recent TV offer a wide array of connectivity.
Does your pc have hdmi output? If it doesn't you can get dvi to hdmi adapters too but that will only transmit video if your graphics card isn't capable of handling audio.
Tavalin Wrote:Does your pc have hdmi output? If it doesn't you can get dvi to hdmi adapters too but that will only transmit video if your graphics card isn't capable of handling audio.

My pc does have a HDMI output, but i'd rather send through the networks if possible.
You'll need to connect it through HDMI to see XBMC interface etc.

Why do you want to connect it by network?

pseudo7 Wrote:You'll need to connect it through HDMI to see XBMC interface etc.

Why do you want to connect it by network?

well, my pc is a desktop located in another room. in my 'living' room where the tv is, i dont have a hdmi cable long enough (i need about 5-6m cable)

i guess the solution is to have a laptop located next to the tv.
I guess there are many options available.

The cheapest (depending on your needs - 1080p) would be a hacked apple tv2 running xbmc (under $100)

or make your own xbmc box

Sky is the limit!

pseudo7 Wrote:I guess there are many options available.

The cheapest (depending on your needs - 1080p) would be a hacked apple tv2 running xbmc (under $100)

or make your own xbmc box

Sky is the limit!

Yeah okay.
i'm not sure yet, but i think'll build my own htpc. Sounds like it could be fun.

sky is the limit indeed.

thanks for the fast replies!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to get it running?0