xvid encoding from command shell
ok just about ripping my hair out here. How do you get mencoder and ffmpeg installed with xvid and x264 support in xbmc-live lynx 10.4 ?

I've tried countless tutorials but nothing seems to be working.

Also how would i then know the codecs are properly installed ?

Does anyone have a step by step through installation, enabling and finally encoding ? Im trying to automate recorded shows from tvheadend into converted xvids and its driving me insane LOL

Any help appreciated .
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
I'd give handbrake-cli a try.

Its much easier to install with all required dependencies through apt and you should be able to sort out the transcoding parameters you'd like through the GUI and then copy that to the CLI version.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
handbrake doesnt do xvid though does it ?
-= My Media Centre =-
ACER Revo R3610 | x2 1.5TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drives (WD15EADS) | x2 2.0TB WD Caviar Green SATA Hard Drive ( WD15EARS ) | 3.5in Black eSATA USB Trayless SATA External Hard Drive Enclosure | Emprex 3009URF Wireless MCE Remote Control | XBMCLive Dharma Beta1
No, I don't believe so if that's a hangup won't work for you. Everything seems to slant towards x264 + mkv containers these days...

Its much less painful to work with, however, that's why I recommended it.

I've used ffmpeg for several simple conversion in the past. Mencoder always seemed like too much work though when could be done with other means.
I just find mkvs and x264 are a bit of an overhead when it comes to encodes, hence the scene still slants towards xvid for tv rip encodes etc.

I can move them to windows and encode using avidemux or auto gordon nott but was so hoping to have my media centre do it straight after recording. Your right mencoder is a pain and FFMPEG not too far behind. I think the worse is i dont have the xvid codec or indeed X264 ones as they are restricted and all the guides i've looked at seem to have been written for earlier builds of ubuntu and never seem to succeed. I really could do with a install and encode tutorial to get the best from the command line.
-= My Media Centre =-

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xvid encoding from command shell0