[LINUX] Can't install Original XBOX DVD Dongle
Question 
Hello all,

I am trying to get the original xbox dvd dongle to work but I am having some trouble. I followed this guide but it is not working.

here is the output from lsmod | grep lirc

Code:
marco@optiplex:/etc/lirc$ lsmod | grep lirc
ir_lirc_codec           3092  0
ir_core                14654  7 ir_lirc_codec,ir_sony_decoder,ir_jvc_decoder,ir_rc6_decoder,ir_rc5_decoder,ir_nec_decoder,mceusb
lirc_dev                9393  1 ir_lirc_codec
marco@optiplex:/etc/lirc$

and here is the output from lsusb:

Code:
marco@optiplex:/etc/lirc$ lsusb
Bus 005 Device 005: ID 045e:0284 Microsoft Corp. Xbox DVD Playback Kit
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 413c:2005 Dell Computer Corp. RT7D50 Keyboard
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:c016 Logitech, Inc. Optical Wheel Mouse
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
marco@optiplex:/etc/lirc$

Why is this not working?
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
Hi,

Take a look to this : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64759
Faster_seb Wrote:Hi,

Take a look to this : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64759

That post seems to about getting an RF remote to work - I am using the orginal xbox DVD dongle that is IR based.

But thanks for your efforts.
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
I know but try to follow the last post by launching " sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc " before trying to manually edit config files Wink
Question 
Faster_seb Wrote:I know but try to follow the last post by launching " sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc " before trying to manually edit config files Wink

That did not help at all.

Nothing is happening when I type "irw" - there are no codes on the screen.

Also, I don't have any "lirc_atiusb" listed anywhere as many posts such as this one.

If I follow the instructions from these guides I get the following error when I try to start LIRC:

Code:
* unable to load LIRC kernel modules.  Veryify your selected kernel modules in /etc/lirc/hardware.conf

and if I type irw I get:

Code:
connect: connection refused

Any adivce on this would be great. It is really frustrating to not have this work - it appeared that all the guides on the forum for this were very straightforward and yet following any of them has not been good for me.

Thanks
Did you try to reinstall Lirc ? ( can't help anymore, i'm not a Linux expert ... )
Faster_seb Wrote:Did you try to reinstall Lirc ? ( can't help anymore, i'm not a Linux expert ... )

Yep...I tried that too - no luck.

I wonder what is wrong? I will try on a 10.04 install and see how that goes.

Cheers.
Quote:On Apr 5, 2011, at 2:48 AM, VeNoMouS wrote:

> Is xbox support code going to be put into either of these other two?

Probably not, it likely calls for a new driver. I'm afraid it was only
recently that I figure out the xbox remotes supported by lirc_atiusb
use an entirely different key acquisition routine from the ati remotes,
which means they don't fit very well into either of the ati_remote
drivers. In theory, we could just strip lirc_atiusb down to support
only the xbox remotes and then rename it lirc_xbox or something like
that, but if someone is going to go to that much trouble, I think its
actually a better use of time to copy, say, ati_remote.c to create a
new xbox_remote.c or similar. Patches welcome, as the saying goes,
otherwise, no clue on when I might be able to get around to it mysel

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/messa...d=27319193

Found that here.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743470

Someone who knows how to do this would have to create a separate xbox driver called irc_xboxDongle since the orginal 2 ati drivers are now broken for use with the xbox remotes. Would probably have to go back to previous version on sf.net to find working ati_driver
marcozd, do you have the 'lirc-modules-source' package installed? This is the package that contains the lirc_atiusb module.

If you have it installed, can you remove and re-add and show the output you get?
I was having the same issue after a fresh install of Natty 11.04, I followed ever guide and tip posted here and had no luck. Today I install Lucid 10.04, installed and the lirc-modules-source package and my remote set up just the way it's meant to Smile
I can also vouch for Maverick. I recently installed 10.10 and setup (of xbmc + Xbox dongle) went without a hitch.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Can't install Original XBOX DVD Dongle0