• 3(current)
Random Movie script for skins
Jonneh,

Assuming you're using the latest release version of XBMC ("Eden") then you need to download the script from this link: https://github.com/elParaguayo/xbmc-rand...ll/preEden

It should then be possible to install the script from the ZIP file (see this page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Add-ons)

Failing that, you'll need to manually extract the zip file to your "addons" folder (you'll need to search for the location depending on which OS you're using - I can't remember them at the moment!)

Hope that helps.
BBC Live Football Scores: Football scores notifications service.
script.squeezeinfo: shows what's playing on your Logitech Media Server
Hi again!

I got the script to work! I tried installing it from within XBMC as a ZIP file but I got an error saying that it wasn't it the write format. So I placed it in the xbmc addons folder and now the Random submenu item works Big Grin I love it, it was just what I was looking for.

Just to clarify one thing though: only the skinner can disable the genre question right? I don't suppose there is any way I could do that somehow?
You can edit the skin files yourself (using your favourite text editor) - However, I don't use Aeon Nox so I can't tell you which file you need to edit.

You just need to find the line
Code:
<onclick>RunScript(script.randommovie, filtergenre=True)</onclick>
and replace it with
Code:
<onclick>RunScript(script.randommovie)</onclick>
Hey el_Paraguayo!

I'm really anxious to use your script but I can't get it to work. I'm using v.11 Eden in combination with the transparancy! skin. I tried installing the script via "install addon from zip file" but that didn't work. Then, I extraced the "script.randommovie" folder to the addons folder. Unfortunately that didn't work either. Do I have to activate the script somewhere in xbmc? And where do I find the option to watch a random movie? Maybe the script works already but I'm too stupid to find the button(?)/option?

Help is greatly appreciated!
Hi 1000.sassa,

I'm not aware that the Transparency! skin has implemented support for this script, so if you want to get it to work you're going to have to get your hands dirty and start editing the skin files (this is a great way to learn how to customise a skin for your perfect setup!)

See posts #1 and #33 for details of the code to include, however i can't tell you which skin file to edit as I don't use the skin so I suggest you ask for some help from the Transparency! forum.

if they can't help, let me know and I'll download the skin and tell you what you need to edit - but that might take me a few days!!

Good luck!

el_P
Thanks for the quick reply!

I didn't know that the script was originally designed for the cirrus extended skin (v2?). So, I downloaded the skin and put the random movie script files into the addon folder. Was that right? Do i have to undertake additionally steps?

I'm still not able to find the submenu, where is it supposed to be? Another point is, that the random movie ... is not listed in the addon column...

Would you maybe be so kind and post a screenshot, where to find the random movie button(Huh)? As you may see I'm totally confused.

Thanks again for the help!

Yes - the script.randommovie folder goes into the addons folder (i.e. the same folder that your skins and other addons are saved in).

On cirrus extended v2 (the v2 is important as the feature is not enabled in the original skin!) find the "movies" menu item and then access the submenu (by pressing right if using vertical menu, or up if using horizontal menu) - random movie should be one of the options there. If it's not there then the script is not being found by xbmc (did you restart xbmc after adding the script to your addons folder).

I can't do you a screenshot at the moment as I don't have access to that machine at the moment - but let me know if the above helps.
this is what my folder looks like:

this is what my "videos" in xbmc looks like:

this is what my "addons" looks like in xbmc:

No Sign of any random movie button Sad.

Do I have to edit, some of the files in the "skin.cirrus.extended"-folder, if so, which ones?

Thx for your help and patience!
Cirrus extended v2
See my signature
It should be cirrus extended v2. If not could you post a download link, as i am unable to find a link on the first page!

Thanks!
No it's not, seeing your screenshot you have a very old version 1.2.6

No need to download separately, just install cirrus extended v2 via my repository or xbmc passion repo.
OK - just to be clear, this script does not and should not appear in your Addons menu within the skin.

Looks like you're using the wrong skin - see Butchabay's post.

Cirrus Extended v2 includes a submenu in Movies called "Random Movie" which will only be visible if the script is installed.
Ok, I think now I got it.

I downloaded the random movie addon (pre-eden) and the "xbmc-repository-butchabay" to install the cirrus v2. Done.

Now I can see the random movie column, but when I click it, nothing is happening but the question for the unwatched movies. What could be the problem?

Thanks for help!
OK - I'm going to need some more info to help out here.

Did it give you an error message when you tried to run it? If so, can you take a look at your xbmc.log file, which I think should be in the xbmc folder (the level above the addons folder), and post the error message.

Have you got movies scanned to your library? The script will not work on movies that are only visible in File Mode.
I have a lot of movies scanned in my library, they are detected and I can play them without any problems, even in the cirrus skin.

But when I press the button "random movie" or "random genre", he just asks me to conclude the watched movies or not, and after pressing yes or no, nothing happens without any error message. No Crash to desktop or anything like this.

Do you still want the log? I can upload it for you!

Thanks again for all the help! Smile
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random Movie script for skins0