• 76(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
(2016-01-24, 14:57)IrrelevantWhiteMan Wrote: WOW. They erased my post. What was wrong to ask a simple question without any flame or somethig? LOL, i cannot belive in here are such humans, why my post was erased?

Oh what a shocker. Dirty pirate doesn't get help with his dirty illegal addons. Smile
Mac Mini (2.7GHz, Late 2012, Windows 10, Kodi DSPlayer) | SATV 16GB | Panasonic TX-P50GT50B | Yamaha RX-V675 | Q Acoustics 2010i (FL, FR, Left S, Right S), Q2000ci Center, Q2070si Sub
Your post is here , in the bin where it should be. Read the forum rules (wiki) relating to piracy and the use of banned add-ons (wiki).

Or is obeying the rules and using legal content rather than using stolen pirated media too difficult a concept to understand?

Let me state it simply - we do not support piracy or illegal streaming .
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-01-24, 15:11)ECEC Wrote: Ok, so backup. You have a remote server with mySQL installed, and not a local library? i'm assuming you ran through the wiki article on this before moving your install. I wouldn't think Kodi on Shield/ATV would have any issues connecting to an extenral SQL server, but that makes your "path not found" error when accessing the library make more sense.

I don't know how to troubleshoot mySQL specifically (I set it up once but never actually used it since I only have the one Kodi install for now), but here's what I would do:
- Delete the Kodi app/data from the Shield.
- Download and install either Isengard 15.2 or Jarvis 16.0 RC1 from this page. 15.2 will enable the context menu when you hold down select, but I moved to 16.0 as of Beta5 and it seems to be working fine.
- Use a file explorer to install the apk you downloaded. Everyone recommends ESFileExplorer but I find X-Plore to work way, way better with a remote.
- Boot up Kodi and let it run its first time config.
- Close Kodi (actually quit out, don't just go back to the Shield Interface.
- Create your advancedsettings.xml file based on this, and move it the appropriate path.
- Boot up Kodi and check your library, and if the advancedsetting file was built correctly, it should work. If not, time to look at log files and find whatever thread people are using for mySQL stuff here on the forums.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help with all of this, I don't know why I didn't think of some of the things you brought up but regardless it was super helpful for me! I really didn't want to uninstall and have to go through config again if I could help it, so since you said you thought the error made sense since I was using MySQL, I decided to do some Googling on that. I hit the jackpot pretty quickly here (in case anyone else runs into issues in the future):
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=247907

Apparently there is a known issue with newer versions of MySQL and Kodi in terms of how defaults are configured. Applying the fix from that link, dropping the old databases and re-scanning my media allowed everything to play nicely (plus, I have a cool new skin to play with!). Hopefully, if somebody runs into this issue, they will find this answer. Thank you so much again for your help!
Good, glad that worked out. Smile
A quick question about the shield.
Planing to replace my Raspberry Pi with Openelec with a Nvidia Shield TV, going only to use it for Kodi and not using the other features. Something very important to me is the picture quality. How is the picture quality of this unit? Will I see any difference between my setup I am using today, and the planned new one?
(2016-01-26, 16:38)needajob Wrote: A quick question about the shield.
Planing to replace my Raspberry Pi with Openelec with a Nvidia Shield TV, going only to use it for Kodi and not using the other features. Something very important to me is the picture quality. How is the picture quality of this unit? Will I see any difference between my setup I am using today, and the planned new one?

It depends on your setup. See this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256143
Some users report "bad" picture quality.

I did not really see a difference in picture quality with my Panasonic VT50 55" plasma between RPI2, x86 HTPC and Shield TV.

You have to make sure your TV can handle RGB limited correctly. There should be a setting how it handles RGB input (limited, standard, normal, full, extended, or whatever).

A friend of mine also switched from x86 HTPC to shield and did not report bad picture quality.

I also came from a Raspberry Pi a month ago and on Kodi, no pictures problems at all!!! PQ the same as I had with the Raspberry!!
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote

Just curious, if you would only use the Shield for Kodi why are you replace your Pi in the first place? Or, why not go with a cheaper Android box? I have a Shield and I love it but I use it for way more than just Kodi.
(2016-01-26, 21:03)jonandtice Wrote:

Just curious, if you would only use the Shield for Kodi why are you replace your Pi in the first place? Or, why not go with a cheaper Android box? I have a Shield and I love it but I use it for way more than just Kodi.

My guess is that Pi is a lot slower, if it's the 1st one, and doesn't have passthrough
Living Room: TV LG OLED55C9PLA, Onkyo TX-NR808, Xbox One S, Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019), PS3, Wii, Cambridge Audio Azur 640C, Wharfedale Diamond 9.4 / 9 CS / 9.1, Sub BK Gemini, Logitech 650 Remote
(2016-01-26, 21:03)jonandtice Wrote: Just curious, if you would only use the Shield for Kodi why are you replace your Pi in the first place? Or, why not go with a cheaper Android box? I have a Shield and I love it but I use it for way more than just Kodi.

I'd somewhat agree with an rpi2 for just Kodi, but the shield will get you
-passthrough
-x265
-Google Cast

I like not switching between devices for casting. Really nice, but maybe not worth as much to others

Also, from someone who has been into Android for a long time, I can't recommend cheap Android to my worst enemy. Fly by night manufacturer support just sucks big time. Nvidia, Asus, Amazon, and Google have been the only ones I'd trust. Wetek is building my confidence, but the rest have not yet. Just my $.02
(2016-01-27, 18:00)Dark_Slayer Wrote: Also, from someone who has been into Android for a long time, I can't recommend cheap Android to my worst enemy. Fly by night manufacturer support just sucks big time. Nvidia, Asus, Amazon, and Google have been the only ones I'd trust. Wetek is building my confidence, but the rest have not yet. Just my $.02

Yes, I agree and by cheaper I was thinking of something like the Nexus Player (made by Asus), which I also have and the only difference between the two as far as Kodi is concerned is the Shield is noticeably more responsive with heavier skins.
Hi.

I have a problem with the latest EXPERIMENTAL Build when i try skip forward in the movie the program get stuck and the movie stop playing. anyone have the same issue and know how to fix this...?
(2016-01-29, 12:42)smargi Wrote: Hi.

I have a problem with the latest EXPERIMENTAL Build when i try skip forward in the movie the program get stuck and the movie stop playing. anyone have the same issue and know how to fix this...?
What experimental build?
Hey all,

Have been running KODI for home theatre for a few years on an HP multimedia laptop and was pleased, but had some challenges, and it always seemed to crap out (Windows that is) when my wife was watching. So I started looking for a new box and a couple of weeks ago made a trip to the US (I am in Canada) and got the Nvidia Shield. All I can say is wow, what a great box for $200. So after a few days playing and testing I am very pleased. (I also picked up a QNAP TS-251+ NAS and have been migrating my external USB-2 drives to the NAS and it feels like Christmas.)

Any how, the reason I post is I just figured out how to make a sub menu (my skin is Helly's Xonfluence) with all the Android apps in it! So I don't need to leave Kodi, go to the Android TV main screen and then find my app and launch it, then reverse the steps back. I just open the submenu (could be a main menu of course) and there the all are, including netflix, and I am set. After I am done I then exit back into KODI.

I am sure many here have already figured this out but I had not seen it posted, so I thought I would share for those folks. And I am sure it can be done with any other skin. The Kodi Command is ActivateWindow(Programs,Android apps,return).
the offical Kodi 16 - Android pass-through test thread. EXPERIMENTAL!!!

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252852

i can't get the forward to work..
  • 76(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6