BD drive for Linux build
Just a quick question before I order the bits and pieces for my build tonight.

I'm going to be running Ubuntu of some sort and was toying with the idea of getting a BD drive instead of just a DVD/RW.

I know that playing BD in Linux is akin to jumping through flaming hoops for now, but should I get one anyway (even to allow me to rip my HD films for later playback)? Also, will a BD drive play nice playing standard DVDs under Linux?

So, big question is, should I spend an extra ~£22 and go for a BD? Or wait it out for better compatibility (and probably a slight price drop)? Any opinions are appreciated.
why not just use windows?
A few reasons, many price (don't want to have to buy a Windows license). Also administration, since I use Ubuntu on my laptop and it'll be easier to be able to just SSH in when I need to instead of hooking up keyboards, etc.
i wouldnt buy a BD-rom then,,,,
specially if u dont really need it,,,
prices will all drop, so when time arrives, you'll have a better deal
Ok, that makes sense. Still got a standalone Blu Ray player downstairs anyway.

Guess I'll just have to wait a wee while longer to play 1080p stuff on my new build! :p

*edit*

This might be a daft question, but if I *was* to get a BD drive for an Ubuntu build, would it still read/write normal DVDs?
yes, BD do read DVDs...
Alright, so I suppose it's just an issue with the encoding of the discs rather than the drive itself.

Is it just playback that's broken, or would the discs not be able to be ripped either?
a BD drive can Rip and Read DVD discs...

problem under Linux is that, u need a way to decrypt the disc
or remove its copy protections in order to Rip it,,,

and thats where Windows excels!
Hmm, what about XP or something running in VirtualBox? Do you think that would be sufficient to rip a BD?
well, yeah, windows is the preferred OS to do those kind of jobs....
maybe u could dual-boot...
meaning, power-on PC, then select boot Windows or UBUNTU...
Yeah, could do that. I've gone with a DVD/RW for now though, can always worry about that later.

Also, I've just placed my order for my new build! ^^

Everything should be here within 5 working days, I'll stick photos up when it gets here Big Grin
i hope so Tongue
Waveknight Wrote:Is it just playback that's broken, or would the discs not be able to be ripped either?

MakeMKV for Linux

MakeMKV can rip BD's in linux (not menus though).
Ah, nice. Cheers P.Kosunen.

I actually use MakeMKV just now for ripping my DVDs, didn't realise it did BDs as well.
Might grab a BD drive after all (maybe not for a while though, need to let my credit card cool down first Tongue ).
yes but u still need a 3rd party copie-protection remover software...
Like on windows, the most famous one is ANYDVD-HD,, and it works perfectly!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BD drive for Linux build0