I need help with my first htpc project
Ok first of all I've never built an htpc before (or anything really). Was thinking about buying the Asrock vision 3d but Im not sure i'd be completely happy with it. So I've been entertaining the idea of building my own htpc and casualy mentioned it to a buddy. It turns out his next door neighbor is selling a case that he bought not too long ago for a project that he is now abandoning for some reason. It's a silverstone GD05B. He sold it to me for $65 brand new still on it's box. Today I went to microcenter and picked up an i3-2100 for 99 bucks, it was on sale so i bought it..so this is where I am right now. a case and a cpu. Rofl So I need some help and suggestions on what I should do/get next. Thanks.

case - silverstone gd05
cpu - intel i3-2100

Strictly for watching movies, no gaming but I might use it for ripping some of my blu-rays.
At a minimum you're going to need a MB, RAM, PSU, and maybe HDD/SSD. But before we can make recommendations you need to answer a few more questions.

What operating system do you plan on running - windows or linux?

Do you want to be able to play 3D BluRays?

Will your movies be stored locally on this HTPC or do you already have a media server/NAS that you can stream from?
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
good start wsume99!!

i usually ask the same questions Tongue

do you have a 3D HDTV?
do you have a 7.1 HD Audio/Video Receiver?
you plan on running WIndows or LInux?
you need WiFi Internet?
you need to stream NetFlix-HD?
you need to play heavy PC games?
you need to do heavy video Ripping jobs?
you need to do heavy video Encoding jobs?
where's your media stored?

Tongue
Thanks wsume99 and eskro!

I don't know anything about linux so I'm going with windows 7.
I really don't care for 3d movies. I can't watch them. It hurts my eyes and literally makes me sick.
I have all my media stored on 3x 2tb external drives. I know it's probably a good idea to host all my media on a single server/nas but for now building an htpc is the priority.
I only have an old 5.1 sony str-de445 a/v receiver that i hope to upgrade soon.
Streaming netflix-hd would be nice but not necessary.
Absolutely no gaming.
I have a non 3d samsung LED.
Ripping? maybe some like a few HBO series that I have on blu.
And also I really don't want to spend more than 600 if that's possible.
Here's the perfect build for you!

[MOBO+CPU+iGPU] ASRock E350M1 Zacate Dual-Core 1.6Ghz HD6310 ALC892 Mini-ITX ($110 + $7)
[CASE+PSU] Apex MI-008 Black mini-ITX 250W ($40 + $0)
[FAN] SilenX IXP-74-09 120mm 800RPM 38CFM 9dBA ($13 + $0)
[SSD] Kingston SSDNow 30GB 2.5" SATAII Trim Read:180MB/s Write:50MB/s ($56 + $0)
[RAM] CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 DDR3 1333 ($22 + $0)
TOTAL: ($248)

Yepp, believe it or not, this $248 HTPC will do all you want!

*PLay 1080P
*BitStream HD-Audio
*Play Netflix-HD
*Stream Server Files at Gigabyte Speed
*Can accommodate a Regular 5.25" Optical Bluray Drive

Enjoy your new HTPC Smile
Don't forget to show us some pics and a small video Tongue
Hey eskro, thanks for the quick reply.

I already have a silverstone case and a cpu. I guess I could return the cpu for the MOBO+CPU+iGPU since i heard some people having problems with sandy bridge. So i could still use those parts right? plus maybe a psu? also what do you think of the logitech air mouse. Is it possible to use it on xbmc? any ideas for a remote?
oh...
if u already have the CPU and CASE...
things are different...
i've read too fast Tongue

yes, u can return the CPU if you want,,,
your current case can hold mini-ITX motherboards..
your fine,,,

now for PSU,
a simple Antec basic PSU would be perfect!
So it would look like this for you:

[MOBO+CPU+iGPU] ASRock E350M1 Zacate Dual-Core 1.6Ghz HD6310 ALC892 Mini-ITX ($110 + $7)
[PSU] Antec BP350 350W ATX12V ($30 + $0)
[SSD] Kingston SSDNow 30GB 2.5" SATAII Trim Read:180MB/s Write:50MB/s ($56 + $0)
[RAM] CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 DDR3 1333 ($22 + $0)
TOTAL: ($225)
Wow $225? I guess my brothers going to get a new htpc too then. Can I use all those same part if I use this nmediapc case?
yes
Thanks eskro! One last thing, How about for bluray drive and remote? Any suggestions?
[Bluray] LG CH10LS20 10x Read speed ($60 + $0)
[remote] Rii Mini 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard ($26 + $0)
Another stupid question, do I need additional software for the bluray drive to work properly?
there's no such thing as a "stupid question" gbygoesclown...
we all started somewhere right!?

Now, answer is --> NO. you dont need additional software for the bluray drive to work properly Tongue
its plug and play,,,
If he wants to play BluRay he needs special Software, right?
i think i meant if he needs to install some drivers
so his Bluray drive is recognized by the OS..
and answer to that is NO....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
I need help with my first htpc project0