Download to remote storage
Wink 
Has anyone on atv2 successfully been able to download content to a smb shared storage from an addons function eg YouTube. If so can you pls state how you added the source.
Thanks.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Yes. Not with YTube (haven't tried) but others.

This is what I did:

In XBMC, Go to Settings > File Manager > Add Source > Browse > Add Network Location then fill in the appropriate fields including user/pass. Make sure that the userid you are using has rights (do this on the mac or PC) to the shared folder. I created a user account on my Mac named "XBMC" for this purpose then gave that account read/right access to my Downloads folder.

The advantage to this method that once you have successfully added your shared folder on your Mac or PC, can access it directly from within XBMC (i.e. - from Addons, "install from zip", etc.). Some people have problems getting the permissions right so if you go this DOUBLECHECK that the account you use has the right permissions to the folder you want XBMC to have access to. (Obviously, it will need the ability to write)
Thanks etip. Is what I've done. All the installations from zip file work. I had given everyone read and write to test. What I might try is re adding the source with a username and password because I may have left this out as I didn't need it. It was simply accessing the workgroup with read and write. Let you know how it goes. You're right it is a very useful setup.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Ok, I tried entering the username password, still no luck. Did you leave port to be 0 when you added the smb share in file manager. Also do you see the file downloading instantly in the destined folder when you have commenced downloading.

Is the share on a PC or Mac? You may need to post a log to get further assistance. I can try a download & try going through the smb adding process again if I get a chance to see if I can figure out if you may have missed something. The port 0 thing isn't ringing a bell....
Just tried it & can't seem to download anything either. Tried YouTube & Icefilms. YouTube says the download starts & then nothing else & the file isn't in the folder I set it to download to. I swore thar I had downloaded from an Addon to an SMB share before but now I can't say for sure and if so, what Addon. Might have been Fastpasstv but they are down now.
I wonder what is going on there!

I am on a Mac. I have so far tried with Youtube, Icefilms and veoh. I was therefore assuming that the issue is not addon specific but as you have suggested a network configuration. Its bewildering especially as the read works when installing eg. install from a zip file.

I also tried to save to a remote share before. I couldn't get any addons to work. But from File Manager I was able to create a folder.
rogerthis Wrote:I also tried to save to a remote share before. I couldn't get any addons to work. But from File Manager I was able to create a folder.

Yep, me too. That's what I did (created a folder in File Manager) when I first added the share to XBMC & assumed I was good to go.
Do we need to raise this with the developers. Am not sure with the exact procedure. Perhaps a log is the next best step.

unless the addons that you are using are modified to use xbmcvfs.copy('src', 'dest') you will not be able to save to SMB://

external python doesnt know what SMB:// is, thats why the addon needs to download to a 'temp' location on a local drive and then copy using xbmcvfs to SMB://
In which case the download can never be larger than the allocated free space on atv2 ?

activate Wrote:In which case the download can never be larger than the allocated free space on atv2 ?

yes

there is no way to write to SMB:// at the moment, it will happen at some point, until then your only option is what I described above
Thanks for that amet, appreciate your time. Is there a general procedure to alert/request the add-on owners or do I need to publish it in their threads individually.z

PS. Excuse my lack of exp in this, does this also apply to other sharing protocols eg. FTP and upnp

activate Wrote:Thanks for that amet, appreciate your time. Is there a general procedure to alert/request the add-on owners or do I need to publish it in their threads individually.

you would get the best results alerting the addon developers/maintainers directly in the relevant threads.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Download to remote storage1