Advice On Adding MediaPortal Recordings To XBMC
Hello, I'm a long time HTPCer, originally using myHTPC, then Meedio, and recently MediaPortal, for about half a year. I've recently installed and then come to like the online video selection and overall package of XBMC, but there isn't yet a stable PVR, and as that is the primary usage of my HTPC, I will need to stick with MP for that for now.

I'm aware that there is a PVR build using the MP TV server available, but I use MP with ForTheRecord, and these aren't (as far as my searches tell me) possible to use in my XBMC installation together with that build.

I am seeking advice from any users that have a setup like mine. I'm okay with not being able to access live tv, as I don't watch it that often. My wife and I really only turn it on at the end of the evening before we go off to bed, and I think with XBMC I would be more likely to turn to BlueCop's Free Cable or some other online addon instead. I'm okay with not being able to access other features, like the guide or schedules too; I would simply like to have access to the recorded shows with best interface possible. Should I simply import them into the TV shows library? Does XBMC support .ts files? Is there perhaps a way to use one of the PVR builds to only access the 4TR database so that I might be able to view the files with all their metadata? Are there any tips to consider?

I apologize for the noob nature of this post. I know it can be frustrating for the veterans. I have as I alluded to done a search for MP with XBMC but only found postings about the PVR build. I would like to take advantage of the knowledge of those who've come before me if possible.

I thank you all very much in advance for any help provided to me. Let me take a moment to compliment you on XBMC's progress. I tried it out years ago but it wasn't for me then; as I use it now I find it to be full of features both built-in and user provided, and the WAF was very quick.
FYI: A 4TheRecord PVR addon for XBMC does exist already. It is work-in-progress, Windows only, and not (yet) in Opdenkamps builds but most of the PVR features are already implemented.
The only requirement for your 4 The Record backend is that you have installed it with its webserver (UltiDev Cassini Webserver).

You may try one of my testing build to see if it fits your needs.
See: my website for recent testing builds (both Dharma+PVR and nightlys).

For your existing installation: XBMC should be able to play .ts files without problems.
Developer of the MediaPortal PVR addon and retired developer of the Argus-TV PVR-addon.
http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl/~marcelg/xbmc
Thanks for the response, margro. Am I incorrect in thinking that I need to use Argus with that 4TR addon? I had thought that I was not able to use MP+4TR+XBMC. Argus is not possible for me as I have only analog cards. If I am wrong about this I will try it out immediately.

Yes, I have found that XBMC supports .ts files, but I have to do some homework about importing them. The file names 4TR give them by default make finding the correct data in TVDB difficult. I may have to try GuideEnricher again; I try it a while back but at that time it made a bit of a mess of my recording history. Maybe now some improvements will make it work more smoothly. Though, if I can use MP+4TR+XBMC together the point will be moot.
Well, how about that. I installed the 05-06-2011 Master build. I didn't get it working at first, having only enabled the 4TR client. I wasn't sure yet if I needed the XBMCServer MP plugin. I then installed that, and I now have Live TV in XBMC! Now, I will admit I'm not entirely sure how it all works yet, since there isn't a manual for setups like mine, but I do have live tv, epg, recordings, and timer all working. I'm also sure I will certainly experience crashes and the like but so far after playing with it for the last couple hours it has been stable. I'll have to go forum searching for tips like changing views, adding icons, viewing thumbnails and what have you. Thank you Margro, for building this!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice On Adding MediaPortal Recordings To XBMC0