Best way of storing dvds?
what's the best way to rip dvd's for xbmc?

in the past i've just ripped them to divx for viewing, however i just got a 300gb hdd and setup a linear raid under linux with another drive to give me 391gb.

i've tried using dvd decrypter to rip them to iso files, i tried viewing the iso's using xbmc but they didn't play. so, at the moment i've just been ripping the vobs to a single big vob file.
i've read something that the xbox can't read files larger than 1gb at a time (hence probably a common reason why dvd movies are cut up in 1gb files in the video ts directory)

so you're prolly way out of luck there. it's the reason that you can't play them from your box, but you could try dvdshrink and rip them into a image file and run the movie from there. the con about just having ripped dvd's on a hard drive is that you can't access menus from the xbmc, it will almot always just run the (main) movie itself.
well, at the moment i'm in the process of ripping all my dvds to a single vob file, each vob file is transferred to my linux server and i access the movies etc via samba.

so, xbmc doesn't seem to have problems reading files greater than 1gb. by my understanding iso (cd format) has a filesize limitation of 1gb hence why they are stored as 1gb files on the dvd.
are the iso files named *.img?

image files should work fine as long as they are named .img not .iso.
(grimreaper @ mar. 06 2005,13:05 Wrote:what's the best way to rip dvd's for xbmc?

in the past i've just ripped them to divx for viewing, however i just got a 300gb hdd and setup a linear raid under linux with another drive to give me 391gb.

i've tried using dvd decrypter to rip them to iso files, i tried viewing the iso's using xbmc but they didn't play. so, at the moment i've just been ripping the vobs to a single big vob file.
i'm doing the same currently, except i hit 1tb :kickass: and with fbsd , i am wondering if 802.11g will stream the movie ok.

are you sure the iso files by dvd decrypter doesn't work? have you've tried using mkisofs after using dvdbackup? i haven't tried either yet as 802.11b is insufficent to stream for me...if someone can answer that i'd be happy =)
gave up with the iso thing, just rip them to a single vob file per dvd now.

btw, talking of a terabyte...

i built & setup a 1.3tb fileserver for work using 6x 300gb hdd raid-5.

setup samba and netatalk for pc and mac access, fear. Smile
i simply rip with dvdshrink... dont shrink ;-) but use the 100% setting.

this gets ripped to 1 big .iso file.

i play this file connecting over samba.

xbox --> utp to switch --> wifi 802.11g --> server with .iso

no problemo.

cheers
and rename that .iso to .img.. i'm so getting tired of repeating this over and over and over and over again Wink.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(difdiffer @ mar. 11 2005,10:51 Wrote:i simply rip with dvdshrink... dont shrink ;-) but use the 100% setting.

this gets ripped to 1 big .iso file.

i play this file connecting over samba.

xbox --> utp to switch --> wifi 802.11g --> server with .iso

no problemo.

cheers
thanks man, i'll buy the 802.11g module for my cisco bridge now =)
im having the same issues. im ripping all of my dvds to set up a streaming media server. im ripping with dvddecrypter and editing with dvdremake pro ( http://www.dimadsoft.com - great software). im keeping the video_ts file containing ifos, vobs.

im looking for ways to associate meta data with my files and the easiest way to download it and save it. and the best way to save it (iso, img, folders)
check out the best dvd editing software available: dvd remake pro
Best CD Ripper Available (better then EAC): dbpoweramp R12 reference
(elupus @ mar. 11 2005,16:56 Wrote:and rename that .iso to .img.. i'm so getting tired of repeating this over and over and over and over again Wink.
elupus,

stop wining about that renaming stuff. i do it as i said, and there is nothing difficult about it.

only thing i might add is that i allways use dvdshrink to only extract the movie (so not the menu!Wink and usually only 1 or max 2 languages (english and dutch). this saves space and useless stuff. just find the .iso (not .img!Wink and the movie starts straight away.

adioso
why should i stopHuh, to begin with i wasn't whining (notice the smiley at the end)

setventonoff(true);
i know how xbmc work in this issue as i coded it and i do tend to have to repeat this way to often as people are to lazy to search.
setventonoff(false);

i was only education everybody on how to get xbmc to play dvd properly (ie that is without menu's still), which you either apperently doesn't know or don't care about. they way you play them you are lucky to get any support for subtitles, less even for switching subtitles/audio streams. perhaps that work for you as you mainly seem to only rip one audio stream/subtitle stream, but anybody else that might start doing this should atleast know the proper way of doing it.

the way you do can be a secondary option of xbmc fail to play the file when named .img, but imo only as an alternative as quite a few stuff inside our core (mplayer) depends on that the dvd is detected properly.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(difdiffer @ mar. 15 2005,22:17 Wrote:
(elupus @ mar. 11 2005,16:56 Wrote:and rename that .iso to .img.. i'm so getting tired of repeating this over and over and over and over again Wink.
elupus,

stop wining about that renaming stuff. i do it as i said, and there is nothing difficult about it.

only thing i might add is that i allways use dvdshrink to only extract the movie (so not the menu!Wink and usually only 1 or max 2 languages (english and dutch). this saves space and useless stuff. just find the .iso (not .img!Wink and the movie starts straight away.

adioso
it works for you because your ripping with dvdshrink and leaving in pretty much only the video. no menus or anything. hence you can get away with naming it as .iso. however try playing any other dvd image with anything more complex than this and your more than likely to run into major problems. as elupus has said xbmc and mplayer rely on dvd images being named .img so that the software knows that it is in fact a dvd that your trying to play. it can then attempt to correctly play the movie. if an even slightly more complex dvd image file is named .iso then xbmc will have problems interpretting it as a dvd and your likely to get odd things happening. such as only an extra being played or the video used for the menu playing. or if your lucky enough to get the movie playing you might not be able to switch audio or subs.

it's very bad practise to give out advise when you don't understand the consequences of doing so and aren't willing to give a full explanation of what may or may not happen because of this.

this is why devs and the support guys get so exasperated, if 50 odd people read this thread and think it's ok to name dvd images as .iso and only half of then run into problems that's still 25 people you then have to re-educate (after they start complaining that xbmc is a buggy pos) because someone else got it wrong. there is no reason that your dvd image files shouldn't work when properly named as .img.
sorry to post a question at the end of this thread.

i have been trying to rip my dvds with dvd shrink and play them with xbmc. previously i just ripped into folders and looked through the vobs until i found the movie. now if i try to rip the movie into an iso image with dvd shrink i get one main md5 file and then like 5 or however many iso files. i have it set to not split up the vobs but how would you do this to the iso files?
(deltop @ mar. 16 2005,03:24 Wrote:
(difdiffer @ mar. 15 2005,22:17 Wrote:
elupus,

only thing i might add is that i allways use dvdshrink to only extract the movie (so not the menu!Wink and usually only 1 or max 2 languages (english and dutch). this saves space and useless stuff.  just find the .iso (not .img!Wink and the movie starts straight away.

adioso
it works for you because your ripping with dvdshrink and leaving in pretty much only the video. no menus or anything. hence you can get away with naming it as .iso. however try playing any other dvd image with anything more complex than this and your more than likely to run into major problems. as elupus has said xbmc and mplayer rely on dvd images being named .img so that the software knows that it is in fact a dvd that your trying to play. it can then attempt to correctly play the movie. if an even slightly more complex dvd image file is named .iso then xbmc will have problems interpretting it as a dvd and your likely to get odd things happening. such as only an extra being played or the video used for the menu playing. or if your lucky enough to get the movie playing you might not be able to switch audio or subs.

it's very bad practise to give out advise when you don't understand the consequences of doing so and aren't willing to give a full explanation of what may or may not happen because of this.

this is why devs and the support guys get so exasperated, if 50 odd people read this thread and think it's ok to name dvd images as .iso and only half of then run into problems that's still 25 people you then have to re-educate (after they start complaining that xbmc is a buggy pos) because someone else got it wrong. there is no reason that your dvd image files shouldn't work when properly named as .img.
elupus,

sorry for the whining remark, i missed the smiley and wass trying to be a smart ass ;-)

deltop and in general, i did describe clearly what did work for me. so for guys just wanting to rip a movie and having troubles, my remark wasnt that bad. off course, renaming them to img doesn't matter then much in this case. it will play anyhow.

btw, multiple audio and subtitle streams do work this way 100% and you can switch between them.

adios, and for coders all the respect. no clue you had actually worked on the code here. just came accross your 'rename to img' remark at some other places, and it seemed out of place as a remark to my way of working.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best way of storing dvds?0