Network problem?
So I just installed "xbmc-10.1 Live". When I was doing the installation the automatic configuration of the network always told me that it failed. I decided to enter the settings manually, but still, I can not access the internet on xbmc. My question is, does my router needs a specific configuration? My Windows laptop detects the network via ethernet, yet my XBMC machine doesn't (Acer REVO). Any help would be appreciated, I would even re-format as long as I can make the internet connection work.
Please tell us some more Infos about your Network Hardware. Pleaste tell us which Ethernet Chip are you using or tell us at least which Acer Revo you have!

XBMC Live 10.1 is based on Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS and what acutally fails when it tries to identify your network hardware is the Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS minimal setup. Their is the possibility that your hardware is to new for the 10.04 Setup. In this case you will have to use another distribution and install a minimal Ubuntu System (i.e. the newest Natty Narwhal) which maybe will recognize your network. Then you will have to install XBMC via command line. In the end you will get the same system like you would have installed it via the XBMC Live CD but you will have to do a lot more configuration by hand and without Linux experience these things can take up a lot of time!
please run following commands and post the output:

Code:
ifconfig -a
lspci
Mixerious Wrote:Please tell us some more Infos about your Network Hardware. Pleaste tell us which Ethernet Chip are you using or tell us at least which Acer Revo you have!

XBMC Live 10.1 is based on Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS and what acutally fails when it tries to identify your network hardware is the Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS minimal setup. Their is the possibility that your hardware is to new for the 10.04 Setup. In this case you will have to use another distribution and install a minimal Ubuntu System (i.e. the newest Natty Narwhal) which maybe will recognize your network. Then you will have to install XBMC via command line. In the end you will get the same system like you would have installed it via the XBMC Live CD but you will have to do a lot more configuration by hand and without Linux experience these things can take up a lot of time!

Thanks for the reply, I have a Acer Aspire R1600. The weird thing is that the internet used to work before a re-formatted, the difference was that instead of using the main router ethernet port, I used a router that was modified to act as a wireless receiver.

wsnipex Wrote:please run following commands and post the output:

Code:
ifconfig -a
lspci

This is what they show

Another thing that I noticed is that the router doesn't show that the XBMC pc is connected to it.
well you got an IP address on eth0, so I would think network should be working.

try if you can ping your router.

guessing from you IP, the router probably has 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1

so try
Code:
ping 192.168.1.0
ping 192.168.1.1
or whatever the IP of your router is.
If that works you might be missing correct DNS config, check like this:

Code:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
there must be at least 1 line starting with nameserver. e.g
nameserver 212.186.211.21

to check correct DNS resolution try:
Code:
host google.com
google.com has address 209.85.148.105
google.com has address 209.85.148.99
google.com has address 209.85.148.103

if all this fails post the output of netstat -an and netstat -rn
wsnipex Wrote:well you got an IP address on eth0, so I would think network should be working.

try if you can ping your router.

guessing from you IP, the router probably has 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.1.1

so try
Code:
ping 192.168.1.0
ping 192.168.1.1
or whatever the IP of your router is.
If that works you might be missing correct DNS config, check like this:

Code:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
there must be at least 1 line starting with nameserver. e.g
nameserver 212.186.211.21

to check correct DNS resolution try:
Code:
host google.com
google.com has address 209.85.148.105
google.com has address 209.85.148.99
google.com has address 209.85.148.103

if all this fails post the output of netstat -an and netstat -rn

Thanks for he reply, before doing that, I noticed that if I change the information from Static to dhcp (auto), instead of showing the IP address I manually give it, it doesn't show the line called "inet addr", only shows "inet6 addr"

- Selecting ping 192.168.1.1 (my router ip), it shows the next line
Code:
connect: Network is unreachable

- Opening the resolv.conf only showed
Code:
search dummy.net
nameserver 192.168.1.1

-This is what I recieve
ok, so dhcp does not work. its not a driver problem though, since a manual IP will bring the interface up.

Are you sure, your router does not block the machine? I, for example, am very strict and allow only known clients to connect to my router, by specifically allowing MAC adresses.
So every time I buy a new PC/smartphone/tablet I must 1st allow its MAC adress on the router.

After double checking your router config please try this:
Code:
sudo dhclient
As a general advice i to have had problems with linux boxes not getting
dhcp.

Genrally it due to some lan/dhcp settings tweak on your router.
On my old router i had to tick a box for "compatabillity for some dhcp clients"
Try and play around with your routers lan/dhcp settings..
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
i just posted this on another "related" topic please use in conjunction with advice provided by others.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=829934&postcount=3
Still can not get it to work, I tried the next things...

- Hard reset router. XBMC didn't connect to the network, while all my windows machines (dual-boot) and a fedora laptop did work with xbmc.

- Tried running the main setub (xbmc live), and the network auto-configuration gave me a error.

UPDATE : Seems like it works with the wireless bridge (did it again). Still, it's not a good solution (can only move the wireless bridge in specific times).
practice makes "perfect"? if dhcp doesnt work try static... IF you know how to configure a LAN you should get this sorted sometime... All my problems mostly fixed by researching and reading a lot.

Sounds like the answer is in your router configuration not Linux.

edit

What router do you have? Not taht I can promise a step by step but I may ask google.
X3lectric Wrote:practice makes "perfect"? if dhcp doesnt work try static... IF you know how to configure a LAN you should get this sorted sometime... All my problems mostly fixed by researching and reading a lot.

Sounds like the answer is in your router configuration not Linux.

edit

What router do you have? Not taht I can promise a step by step but I may ask google.

Thanks for the reply, right now I'm using a Linksys WRT310N as the main router (with DD-WRT) and using a Linksys WRT300N as a wireless receiver.

Still, I'm still having issues when using the wireless receiver, the issue I have is that when I scan content, only the first 3 or 4 shows get the information from the internet (banner, poster, etc.). Still, I can download the add-ons flawlessly.

I'm trying to put the dhcp as static, do you know what I have to put on gateway? The default is 192.168.1.251, should I change it for may wan ip? With which termination?

Picture :
your proper addressing scheme is given with the command ifconfig.
The screen shot listed in post #4 has your subnet mask at 255.255.0.0, the default gateway should be the ip address of your router ex. 192.168.1.1.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Hudson_Hawk04 Wrote:your proper addressing scheme is given with the command ifconfig.
The screen shot listed in post #4 has your subnet mask at 255.255.0.0,

On post #7 I used ifconfig

Post 4 = Static Ip (shows 255.255.255.0)
Post 7 = Automatic

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Network problem?0