[AppleTV1]Installed CrystalHD card - how can I tell it is being used by XBMC?
Hi folks, I have installed the card using the method via launcher. I still can't play a 720p .MKV file because the sound is screwed up. I thought CrystalHD would fix this.

Also, there's still no option for 1080p in the ATV's own display settings? Should there be, or am I to tell it to use 720p or 1080i? Does XBMC override this with its own settings while in use?

What/where are the CrystalHD related settings I need to play with in XBMC? Sorry for all the questions but I'm new to all this and searching has brought back a lot of useless stuff to sift through.
if memory serves there should be a tick box under video settings playback. After you install the crystalhd drivers make sure and power off the box and power back on.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Thanks, CrystalHD is listed in playback options. Shouldn't 1080p now be available in the ATV's display settings? And shouldn't sound now work on .MKV's?
Jay Cartay Wrote:Thanks, CrystalHD is listed in playback options. Shouldn't 1080p now be available in the ATV's display settings? And shouldn't sound now work on .MKV's?

No, the ATV1 never did and will never have 1080p display output under XBMC.
davilla

Hey I have been thinking about adding crystal hd to my ATV1 , but i have a few question .

1 will i be able to play 1080p movies
2 will i be able to keep WiFi capabilities, if no what other options are we looking at.
Does Crystal Hd workHuhHuh?
you will have to remove the wifi card to put the crystalhd card in place. check under system---video--playback you will see allow hardware acceleration (crystal hd) and yes.....it works very well.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
davilla Wrote:No, the ATV1 never did and will never have 1080p display output under XBMC.

Just so I understand, this means that all a CrystalHD card will do is help with the decoding of 1080p (but will still be output to 720p) ?

Also, will a CrystalHD card help with 720p ? I still notice some occasional lag playing some 720p videos on my ATV1.

Thanks.
LazarusLong Wrote:Just so I understand, this means that all a CrystalHD card will do is help with the decoding of 1080p (but will still be output to 720p) ?

Also, will a CrystalHD card help with 720p ? I still notice some occasional lag playing some 720p videos on my ATV1.

Thanks.

ATV1 can't output 1080 running the stock OS (a stripped down Mac OS x 10.4).

It can output 1080 running linux.

The card should help with all video decoding (most codecs supported) regardless of resolution (more or less). Search for something like "Sam apple tv Linux GUI installer" in the forums or on google. (I'm posting from my iPhone, otherwise I would just give you a direct link. )
tkarns24 Wrote:davilla

Hey I have been thinking about adding crystal hd to my ATV1 , but i have a few question .

2 will i be able to keep WiFi capabilities, if no what other options are we looking at.

1. Yes
2. Maybe. I haven't tried it myself, but I hear that people have found a USB wifi adapter that works.

It works, and does so very well.
tkarns24 Wrote:davilla

1 == yes, 720p ones too.
2 == no, the crystalhd replaces the internal wifi card. if you want wifi, then you have to look into a USB solution.
"Does Crystal Hd work" Smile nah. I just wrote all that code and worked 1/2 a year with broadcom just to fool everyone. Of course it does, silly Smile
Here's the link (well, technically this is just one option) for getting Linux on the AppleTV 1
http://www.stmlabs.com/projects/crystalhd-for-appletv/
Or use a Gaming adapter to get wireless (what I do)

*thats not the exact one I am using - but same type of device

I followed this link for my setup
hi how do i install the driver for the crystalhd card and will this card work http://cgi.ebay.ca/Broadcom-Hardware-Dec...3a6555ab42
nanuk Wrote:hi how do i install the driver for the crystalhd card and will this card work http://cgi.ebay.ca/Broadcom-Hardware-Dec...3a6555ab42

Don't get that one. At least not at that price. You can get the BCM970015 for the same price from logicsupply.com . Both will work, but the 15 has some bugs worked out in it and it really makes a difference for fastforwarding/rewinding/ and a few cases of odd stuttering (normally fixable by hitting pause and then play again when it happens, but still annoying).

http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970015

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV1]Installed CrystalHD card - how can I tell it is being used by XBMC?0